Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

They're all good responses guys. I was just thinking out loud yesterday trying to get my head around how I would approach making this beer using my usual partial mash processes where I do like to boil the wort for at least an hour even if I'm not adding hops at the beginning of the boil.

As Hairy detailed, it would add a heap of time doing it the way I mentioned. The results of this beer would want to be bloody spectacular to warrant even considering the idea.

Christina's suggestion of using two separate worts is probably the most feasible. All that said, it may just be easier to leave it as a predominantly extract based brew.

Yeast appears to be up & going. Condensation on the lid & what looks like the beginning of a krausen. It better be burping when I get home tonight!

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

American IPA on the go now. Bad start to the day as couldnt find my top overflow pipe. Sure it went in the bin on last brew day. Had to improvise a little. Anyway here is the recipe 20g carafa just to add colour.

Oh and the sugar is not in the mash but in the boil.

Screenshot_20190302-084824.jpg

• Like 3

Kilowog Krush II Image result for Kilowog with Hammer

1.7KG Blackrock Ultra Light

300g Wheat Malt Extract

700g Light Dry Malt

300g Carapils

15 Min 10g Citra and Nelson Sauvin

Flameout 25g Citra, Galaxy, NS

35g NS, 65g Citra, 75g Galaxy dry hop 

10l boil with 1000g of dry malt top up to 21l for fermentation.

35 IBU's expected OG: 1.045 FG: 1.010 4.5% when kegged 4.8% when bottled. Will bottle a few at 3.0 carbonation level.  Joystick Imperial Yeast for fermentation.

This will be the second time I brewed this but for this batch I am dropping the 60 min addition of Warrior because I am sure the IBUs were at 40ish last time I brewed this, which I found was pretty nice, but my family felt it was too bitter. I also felt that by dropping the 60 minute addition it would make the beer closer to the style I am emulating, a Kaiju Krush type beer.  This is not a clone of Kaiju Krush as I am subbing out centennial for Nelson Sauvin and not using any simcoe, but I enjoyed this a whole lot last time and hopefully this change will keep it at a 5 out of 5 rating in my brew log. 

Cheers,

Norris

• Like 6

Dark Ale I'll try and put down soon for the old boy's 60th

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1.5kg Dry Amber Malt Extract
0.5kg Wheat Malt
0.3kg Medium Crystal
Whirlfloc @ 15min
15g EKG @ 15min
15g EKG @ 10min
25g Cascade Dry Hopped @ 4 days
Either Nottingham yeast / harvested US-05 
OG 1.054, FG 1.013, IBU 38.6, EBC 41.0, 5.8% Bottled

Haven't brewed a dark ale before, so any feedback is appreciated. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

I'd leave out the whirlfloc, it won't really do anything in an extract brew. I'd probably leave out the medium crystal too, the amber extract has it already. Not sure if the dry hop would be noticed, personally I wouldn't bother in a dark ale unless it was designed as a hoppy version. Traditionally the style is more malt driven.

Put down the Coopers Golden Ale recipe yesterday ... mental note: don't throw the hops into the biol all at once tends to flare and biol over rather quickly ...  used the M36 Liberty Bell yeast rather than the BRY-97

Golden Ale.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Put down the Coopers Golden Ale recipe yesterday ... mental note: don't throw the hops into the biol all at once tends to flare and biol over rather quickly ...  used the M36 Liberty Bell yeast rather than the BRY-97

Golden Ale.PNG

I used to have that issue with a 10l pot then I went to 15l and no boil overs for a 10l batch.  Just remember to keep some sterilized water in a spray bottle and mist the top if it starts to boil over or turn down the heat or stir it to help stop them.

I love Amarillo hops! This looks like a fair recipe and with the boil, I would say this kit was pimped well, very well. Good pimping. What did you boil by the way the amount and the dry hop?

Norris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I used to have that issue with a 10l pot then I went to 15l and no boil overs for a 10l batch.  Just remember to keep some sterilized water in a spray bottle and mist the top if it starts to boil over or turn down the heat or stir it to help stop them.

I love Amarillo hops! This looks like a fair recipe and with the boil, I would say this kit was pimped well, very well. Good pimping. What did you boil by the way the amount and the dry hop?

Norris

An hours simmer at 65-70 degree for the Crystal malt in 2 litres H2O .... then strained ... then to the strained liquid 500g LDM plus another 3 litres of water which I put through the strained grain to flush out all the goodness ... then that 5L brought to the boil and 25g Amarillo added for 10 minute boil .... the other 25g Amarillo added on day 4 ...  both the kit and the M36 pitched ... sitting at 18 in fridge now and going gang busters..

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd leave out the whirlfloc, it won't really do anything in an extract brew. I'd probably leave out the medium crystal too, the amber extract has it already. Not sure if the dry hop would be noticed, personally I wouldn't bother in a dark ale unless it was designed as a hoppy version. Traditionally the style is more malt driven.

Thanks Otto! Interesting to know what malts are in the extracts. Trying to keep the IBU's down as the kit seems to pack a bit. He likes the White Rabbit Dark, which apparently has 27 IBU's. 

Problem i have right now is temperature contolled space. Got 2 porters in the freezer that are not quite there yet. And American IPA in the wine fridge, dry hopped last night 50g pekko. All 3 will be ready to cold crash at the weekend. No idea what i will do yet as wine fridge will only go down to 5 deg. Thinking thinking, thinking.

• Haha 2

Looks like you will have juggle the timing .... I would either start the cold crash the porters a day or 2 before the IPA .... drop the IPA to 5 then finish it for a day so in the Freezer after  you pull 1 of the Porters out and replace with the IPA ...  looks like the only solution short of buying a new fridge ... 

Marty, as i was responding a thought came into my head. I have a Kegerator standing empty, last keg blew 2 nights ago. That's what i will use for the IPA. This will get it down to 2 deg.  Will be able to let these porters do what they need to do without rushing them. Stout will go in the wine fridge.

Thanks for the suggestions though, without this I may have gone down another track.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Titan said:

Marty, as i was responding a thought came into my head. I have a Kegerator standing empty, last keg blew 2 nights ago. That's what i will use for the IPA. This will get it down to 2 deg.  Will be able to let these porters do what they need to do without rushing them. Stout will go in the wine fridge.

Thanks for the suggestions though, without this I may have gone down another track.

How can you forget you have a Kegerator ... too much testing of the product may be one way that comes to mind ...  😉 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

This is why I love BeerSmith. Couldn’t have got it closer if I tried. 

55B72044-296A-4195-898F-30D5CEFE50A4.jpeg

I have the same hydrometer. Purchased it last month. However it gives me a reading of 1.006 in water. ( at the green line)

why is the green line at 1.006 rather that 1.000 or

am I reading it wrong 

36 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I have the same hydrometer. Purchased it last month. However it gives me a reading of 1.006 in water. ( at the green line)

why is the green line at 1.006 rather that 1.000 or

am I reading it wrong 

I think the green bit is where beer “should” finish. I’ve not really paid attention to the colours as it means nothing really. 

For instance a full bodied porter might finish at 1.020 and a dry AF Saison might finish at 1.000.

i honestly don’t know what the colours are for. 

So you adjusting your readings to suit your off reading in 20c water?

• Thanks 1