Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

On 2/8/2019 at 11:37 PM, #granted+brew said:

Nice easy brew night here tonight, enjoying this cooler Adelaide weather while it lasts. 

Coopers Czech Pils #2

1.7kg Thomas Coopers 86 Days Pilsner

1.2kg LDM(coopers) 

37g Saaz hop tea 500mls 

made to 20 litres 

kit yeast and 1 × 11g saflager w-34/70 rehydrated for 1 hour.

Pitched at 18°C and will hold for 12 hours then straight crash to 10°C

Forgot to take the S.G but I presume it would be around 1.045 or so hopefully. 

Have a good weekend all!

Cheers, Lee

Put down same same but different this afternoon ... swapped  the 86 days for "Morgans Golden Saaz pilsnser"  did 23L,  a 25g 15 minutes Saaz hop tea, 1 kg LDM, the kit yeast and 34/70 pitched at 22 currently heading to 12 degrees.... currently 18 and will be held there till late tonight and hopefully 12 by the morning  ...  S.G 1.042 .... will ramp up to 18 on day 6 for 3 days then cold crash for 3 ... then bottled in 345 ml brown stubbs ... 

• Like 1

Good luck with the brew @MartyG1525230263

Your recipe is closer to my first attempt at it, 800g LDM and 25g saaz, 21 litres.

I found that recipe to be just a little bit lacking in overall flavour. It was there, but just needed a bit more really. Mind you i did set out to make a lower abv version.

It really came good after two months lagering but sadly I only had a few left... 

I'm brewing another one next using the slurry from this one, going to do a short small hop boil and a flameout addition. I want to lift the ibu's a tiny bit more. 

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If it’s taking 6 hours then you have to be doing a 2 hour mash and 2 hour boil or something. A standard 60 min mash and 60min boil and no chill should take no longer than 3.5 to 4 hours. 

30 mins to get water up to mash temps. 

60 mins mash

30 mins to get it up to the boil

60 min boil

30 min or so steep

30 min clean up

4 hours all up. If your not steeping even less. 

That's if you're a "no-chiller".

Add more time for cooling wort, transfer to a FV, & pitching the yeast if wanting to get it up & fermenting the same day.

#SameDayBrews.

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

Mine usually take about 5-5.5 hours, longer for lagers. Close to 90 minute mash plus mash out then if I'm doing FWH around 40-50 minutes before I start bringing it to boil (bag drain plus FWH steeping time), 70-75 minute boil for ales and 90+ minutes for lagers. 

This is why I set aside an entire day for a brew, I'm usually done by about 3pm if I start around 9 but I'm in no rush. I usually clean as I go as well so at the end it's just the urn and hop spider left to do. Usually I just rinse the majority out of the crap from the urn and do the proper clean the following day. 

I know mine have been done in under 6 hours... Just. Started about 9.15am after dropping my son off at school. It's a gas system so I don't dare leave it on unattended. All in the cube and cleaned up in time to leave for school pickup at 3pm

I do end up mashing longer than 60min most brews because I'll be at the shops /at the pool/running errands etc and not home at the 60min mark.

Ppl ask me how I have time to brew with two little kids... Well like a lot of you I MAKE time!

Edited by joolbag
  • Like 4

On 2/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Doing a quick saison today. Usually i put in a small amount of crystal but didn't have any so its just pilsner malt and wheat this one.

19L batch using heaven sent H20

5gm gypsum

3.5kg pilsener

0.5kg wheat

15gm magnum @60

20gm cascade @10

Irish moss at 10

5gm coriander at 10

20gm cascade at FO for 20 mins

Was a bit worried about ph with this one even using the rain water. As it turned out it has come out at 5.6 in the mash. Close enough.

This will be fermented with a blend of 50% BE134 and the other 50% being a blend of belle and 3724. 

See how she turns out

1549076799907-1239485434.jpg

I hope not but i think i might have my first ever undrinkable batch. This one tasted friggin awesome until the last 10 points. Was fermented at 20c and ramped 1c per day to 25c then held till 10 points out from expected FG of 1002. When i took it out of the fridge it was very dupont like. When i tried the sample at 1002 it was dupont like at the start but the end taste was like rubber or something. Very wierd and offputting. It got up to 30c in the last 10 points in the ambient but nothing like this taste has happened before. Left it for 5 days hoping to clean up that taste but its probably got a touch worse. Anyway been cold crashing for 2 days and the taste is still there. Going to bottle it tomorrow night and see what the secondary ferment does to it.

Anybody got a rubbery type flavour before? 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, joolbag said:

Ppl ask me how I have time to brew with two little kids... Well like a lot of you I MAKE time!

Yeah, makes you realise how many windows you can create in 24 hrs for getting various things done!

For my all grain beers I start the strike water heating gently on the stove before dinner then mash in at about 7:30 - 8:00 PM after settling my little boy into bed. I do a 90 min mash, 60 min boil, 15 min hop steep post-boil and no chill in the kettle. I'm usually done by around 11:00 - 11:30 PM and hose out the mash tun and hop spider the next morning.

Too easy! Except for my 5:30 alarm the next morning, sometimes a little tired. But that's no different to any other day. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 3

Put the APA (or XPA) in the fermenter last night.
1.5kg Morgans Unhopped Extra Pale LME
1.0kg DME
0.5kg American Ale Malt
0.5kg Wheat 
0.3kg Light Crystal
Whirlfloc @ 15
15g Centennial @ 30
10g Cascade @ 15
15g Centennial @ 15
25g Galaxy @ 5 

US-05 rehydrated, nailed the OG of 1.047. Hopefully gets down to FG. Will dry hop 75g of Galaxy after 4 days. 

• Like 6

On 15 January 2019 at 9:47 PM, Beerlust said:

Each state has it's own guidelines & award for the granting of long service leave entitlements. The following is from my state governing body (SafeWork SA)...

Know your rights mate. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Key words Lusty, "could" "should" "can". My work can refuse long service leave, I apply when I want leave then they allocate the leave.  I guess it depends soon the industry you are in.

15 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Anybody got a rubbery type flavour before? 

Can't say that i have.  How about soapy?  My buddy gave me a bottle of XPA poured from his keezer.  It has a distinct soapiness to it.  Can that come from a beer fault?  Or is it likely somewhere like keg/beer lines/tap/bottle/glass.

I don't think it is my glass as it is the one element I have control over and I only hot water rinse.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hermoor said:

Key words Lusty, "could" "should" "can". My work can refuse long service leave, I apply when I want leave then they allocate the leave.  I guess it depends soon the industry you are in.

Have you taken the time to read the award that governs your industry? or are you under an EBA? (Enterprise Bargaining Agreement) Either way, you certainly have rights in this area.

John Howard's government have a lot to answer for in regard to the deconstruction of unions while they were in charge of this country. Your rights are still there, just these days, less & less people know what are. That used to be the main role of unions & the benefit of being part of one as they actively had the rights to speak with people on the job.

I see & hear of so much workplace bullying across a wide variety of industries these days it's quite astounding. Most of it goes on because people don't know their rights & just put up with what is happening to them under continued duress. 😢

Not this little black duck. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Greeny, The rubber can be phenol related, potentially from chlorophenols in the water, but you did say you used rain water. Did you use chlorine or bleach anywhere in the process? Did anyone add chlorine to the rainwater at any stage? Any new hoses or plastic or rubber parts used? 

Yeast can produce phenols like this, sometimes when stressed , some say due to yeast autolysis but that's unlikely as well. 

• Like 1

just cubed my Pacific Ale 20ltr

2.630 coopers schooner malt

1.750 Gladfield wheat

20gms galaxy 30min @ 80deg

25gms galaxy cubed

will dry hop 30gms galaxy

4th gen Nottingham tomorrow in the fv

est. 1.040 will know tomorrow after the top up  null 

cheers,

John

• Like 5

Sorry for the shit formatting but this is today's brew day. Mash was done at 64-65C for 50 minutes, 72 for 20 minutes and just about to raise it to 78 for its 10 minute mash out.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 28.25 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 19.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.0482 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 44.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
33.00 L          Pilsen, Czech                                    Water         1          -             -             
0.44 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   2          -             -             
0.40 g           Chalk (Mash)                                     Water Agent   3          -             -             
0.34 g           Baking Soda (Mash)                               Water Agent   4          -             -             
0.32 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   5          -             -             
4.00 kg          Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)           Grain         6          92.7 %        2.61 L        
0.16 kg          Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC)                 Grain         7          3.7 %         0.10 L        
0.15 kg          Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)                Grain         8          3.5 %         0.10 L        
0.01 kg          Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC)         Grain         9          0.2 %         0.00 L        
50.00 g          Saaz [2.80 %] - First Wort 90.0 min              Hop           10         18.5 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 80.0 min                    Hop           11         16.6 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min                    Hop           12         6.3 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          Saaz [2.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15.0 min, 90.2  Hop           13         3.1 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Wyeast 2278 pilsner lager     Yeast         14         -             -            

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just putting this together now. Inspired by Celebration Ale IPA (which I have never tasted, as it is not available in my area), but an APA:

Cascades and Centennial APA

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa

1.3kg Briess Golden Light LME

350gm Vienna malt

300gm malted wheat

200gm Caramunich

30gm Acidulated malt

4gm Chinook boiled x 20 min

5gm Centennial x 12 minutes

5gm Cascades x 2 minutes

5gm Centennial x 2 minutes

9gm Cascades hop stand starting at 75C x 20 minutes

9gm Centennial hop stand starting at 75C x 20 minutes

ale/lager Gen 2 slurry from another batch

23L

I will be dry hopping with 9gm each of Cascades and Centennial later.

This is my first time using Chinook; just dipping my toe in.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 5

Real Cascade Ale

Boil: 4 litres water with 400g LDM

25g Cascade at 15mins

35g Cascade at F/O <80°C steep 15mins

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale

1.1kg LDM

Made to 21 litres

2× O.S. kit yeast rehydrated

Pitched at 16°C

Fermentation to be at 18°C

Forgot to take S.G reading AGAIN... so will do the maths on that shortly. 

Cheers, Lee

• Like 2

Big brew day planned tomorrow. 2 batches. 16 kilos grain. Both will be baltic porters. Will mix it up a little, 6 Munich 2 pilsner v 6 pilsner 2 Munich plus the usual special malts. Will smoke both 100g peat smoked malt. Starters are currently ongoing. Hops will be the same for both. One i will do in the gf the other will be done in my 56l mash tun then transfered to kettle. Interested to see what the OG on both will be. Wish me luck.

• Like 5