Coopers Community

Heineken recipe

Zelly

As Hairy said it comes very close, last time I did this I used Morgans European lager yeast  @ 13 degrees and according to my notes it improved in the bottle after 8 weeks ( I kept a 6 pack aside)

9 hours ago, waigouren said:

Interested in this also. When you say it's close to style, does it need any dry hops do you think? Or is it good as is?

No hops, I have done it as per recipe and with BE3 plus Morgans European lager yeast, the latter turned out the best IMO.

my records show that it needs time in the bottle to mature for best results (min 8weeks)

Just over a year ago I made a mid-strength version for my Father using the European lager kit. Ideally you need to be able to ferment the brew at 15°C or below.

As already mentioned, they're not traditionally dry hopped, but the addition of a small hop tea will work well in this type of beer. I added a 12gm hop tea of Tettnanger & the beer turned out very well I thought.

The Euro kit is perfect if you like these Heineken type beers.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Most lagers need extended storage time to be at their best, preferably cold storage time, which would explain Gus's notes. I've definitely noticed it in my own as well. Exceptions might be those new world hoppy ones but if you're making a traditional Euro style lager, extended cold storage time after fermentation/carbonation is a necessity in my view. Other than that, pitch a large amount of yeast and keep the ferment temp low, around 10-12 degrees.

The kit and BE3 should work fine, even better if you can get a tin of Briess pilsen liquid extract to pair with the kit.

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...extended cold storage time after fermentation/carbonation is a necessity in my view.

any suggestion for bottling fellas like meself - how long I would be best conditioning at a low temp e.g. in Bottle...

Would I bottle and then let go secondary ferment in 20s for cuppla weeks... and then condition cold for a few months or?

Archived