Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Second reiteration of my house pale. 

Dry AF. And a little too bitter due to that. 

Ben 10 would dig it for those reasons.

also not quite at carb specs, still. Bloody nice beer. 

Two weeks at cold crash has definitely cleared this girl up

FD9E6C74-F191-47EF-8221-AEE8A3BC5F22.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Looks good Kirk.

Not only looks good Norris. 

Im aiming for a pale that can be enjoyed by the masses. I’m one step closer. Either needs a bit of caramalt or loose some IBU. Thinking IBU at this point. 

I reckon the next one will be spot on

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Yeah I think so. I have done rotating shift work since I was 21 and I would like to be home every weekend and every night

I couldn’t imagine being home every night and weekend. 

However, I’m very regular with my 8/6 roster. 

Although I work away, I believe I have more family time as if I worked at home I’d have to work 6 days a week for less money. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Not only looks good Norris. 

Im aiming for a pale that can be enjoyed by the masses. I’m one step closer. Either needs a bit of caramalt or loose some IBU. Thinking IBU at this point. 

I reckon the next one will be spot on

I like your thought process and approach! When I brew, yes it is for my tastes but several batches are to see if I can make something better for the masses. I have toyed with the idea of making a Carlton draught clone for a buddy to show him how cheap and easy it is...but as I tend to enjoy hoppier pales I make those and I am usually just trying to fill my kegs. My friends seem to like them and compare them to the commercial brews often. So far the best comments has been "this smells and tastes like one of yours" and "I could swear this was your beer." It was a Balter XPA and the other time a Kaiju Krush. I take those as compliments.

What color are you going for, I like the golden straw look you currently have. It tells me it has some body but shouldn't be overpowering. I expect it to be crisp. With that said I think if the Sierra Nevada and how it had great body and complexity while still being crisp and clean, for my tastes, so I could see some caramel helping it. This is based on sight.  Interested in hearing your thoughts.

11 hours ago, Norris! said:

It was a Balter XPA and the other time a Kaiju Krush. I take those as compliments.

That’s some nice beers right there mate. 

11 hours ago, Norris! said:

What color are you going for, I like the golden straw look you currently have. 

The colour I want is pretty close to what it is now. If that’s golden straw then yeah sweet. 

I want for people to think that there’s going to be caramel and sweet notes but then taste and it and not sweet at all. 

The unmalted wheat gives it a tad little bit of body. 

We will see how the next one goes and if it needs a little bit more hop presence. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I couldn’t imagine being home every night and weekend. 

However, I’m very regular with my 8/6 roster. 

Although I work away, I believe I have more family time as if I worked at home I’d have to work 6 days a week for less money. 

My roster is a disgrace. I don’t even know my shifts for next week and when I do know I never start the same time two days in a row.  I want to be able to know exactly what I am doing every day. 

It’s just time to move on!!

• Like 3

Yeah Eff that @Beer Baron

I started a job like that 2 years ago and I knew it was temporary, I didn’t last as long as I thought and chucked the sh!ts pretty quickly. I’d get told Sunday night that I had one shift all week, on the Monday. Then by the end of each day they would ask me to work the following day. Sunday came around again, one shift.

After about a month of this I started booking other work in if they didn’t secure my services the Sunday night. 

They got the picture and I think I lasted another 4 weeks before I said to them I would not be in tomorrow nor any other time for them. 

I really like structure, especially now I have a kid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

The colour I want is pretty close to what it is now. If that’s golden straw then yeah sweet.

It could be prairie gold on second thought.

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I want for people to think that there’s going to be caramel and sweet notes but then taste and it and not sweet at all. 

We will see how the next one goes and if it needs a little bit more hop presence. 

Dude, that sounds pretty awesome.  I would be blown away by that and keep coming back for more. 

Wheat you talking bout, unmalted wheat? Hahha, what that translates to is "hmmm, interesting. I have read of this unmalted wheat but never used it. You must like the qualities it brings, as you brew with it. Have you had any stuck mashes using it?"

What was your g/l? 4.5g/l is about my minimum for most ales but I have been looking at the economics of it for awhile and I can see that huge brews, 8g/l or more, I should try to use cheaper hops and leverage off of a highlight hop or two. Like Centennial and Citra or Centennial, Vic secret and Riwaka or something like that. But at the end of the day sometimes you just want to go big!

Anyways, good look with the journey.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

prairie gold

Im going to go with Burnt Dandelion.

Wheat you talking bout, unmalted wheat? Hahha, what that translates to is "hmmm, interesting. I have read of this unmalted wheat but never used it. You must like the qualities it brings, as you brew with it. Have you had any stuck mashes using it?"

Yes, Unmalted wheat, from the pet store.

I use it to about 5% in most pales these days that need a little something to adjust the bitterness in dry beers. Gives it this "impression" of body. And no to stuck mashes.

What was your g/l? 4.5g/l is about my minimum for most ales but I have been looking at the economics of it for awhile and I can see that huge brews, 8g/l or more, I should try to use cheaper hops and leverage off of a highlight hop or two. Like Centennial and Citra or Centennial, Vic secret and Riwaka or something like that. But at the end of the day sometimes you just want to go big!

G/L, I don't know Norris. Total in the hot side was 4.8g/l. However, I don't really account for hops like that. Why, you ask? Because each hop plays differently. I go by amounts due to experience (and total oil content) then adjust the next brew to taste. Because after all, its about the taste at the end of the day.

For instance, now that I know how harsh Vic Secret can be due to the high oil content, I tone that down every time I use it. Its insane for the oil content and flavour that it produces at small amounts. Cascade on the other hand, just smash as much in as you possibly can and at different stages to draw different flavours out. 

Its a nice beer, but will fine tune the next one a little. Possibly more hops per l

• Like 1

My sister cider to the Apple rocket. Apple and black currant. As with the rocket 40+ days in the bottle. 7.5% ABV. Ended up just as dry at 0.995 FG. 

Black currant smell and taste definately there. Another dry sparkly effort. Very proud of how it came out

42567C4B-9B6F-4D3E-8E14-D36D91242735.jpeg

8FA82C59-E7F4-40E7-B55C-8589C962BEFC.jpeg

• Like 5

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:43 AM, Ben 10 said:

Benny can you be so kind as to provide a copy of your Wheat Beer recipe please please?

I have got one in 2ndary bottle ferment... another one in FV... and would love to try one of yours next... if possible... it looks delectable!

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Dupont on its own is a major PITA. No matter what you do it will stall/go slow. Closed ferment. Open ferment. Expect a 21 day ferment.

Depends on your taste Cap but blending 3724 with belle is my favourite. Mid way between extreme funk and mild funk. With no stall problems. A sub 7 day finish and a ~1002 ish end OG.

Greeny you are the YEAST KING!!!

12 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Cappo that does sound interesting - so are you using just plain old wheat grains - and mashing them for a little extra body ?

And maybe also head retention and mouthfeel?

4 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

They got the picture and I think I lasted another 4 weeks before I said to them I would not be in tomorrow nor any other time for them. 

as a good mate of mine (another festive home brewer) said - when one corporate waaaannnkkker said you have not done your reporting on time for the last three months and that is just not good enough... my mate had fortunately got another gig elsewhere in the meantime and a much better job/place to live and brew (which has also turned out much better for the last 15 years)… he said to this guy - Hey Lindsay.... sorry mate... and this will never happen again... 👺

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Greeny you are the YEAST KING!!!

Don't be afraid to try things mate. US05/1056 and American Ale 1272 is a nice blend as well. Sometimes you want something half way in between and a blend will give you that. The worry is one dominates but my 3724/Belle blend is 5 generations old and hasn't changed from the first time I blended it so the jury is out on that one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Don't be afraid to try things mate. US05/1056 and American Ale 1272 is a nice blend as well. Sometimes you want something half way in between and a blend will give you that. The worry is one dominates but my 3724/Belle blend is 5 generations old and hasn't changed from the first time I blended it so the jury is out on that one.

Mate I absolutely love it...…. and really appreciate your and others on this site's advice..... really really good stuff.  I have just been doing the Hefeweizen thing and @Hairy and a few other brewers suggested that W3068 Wyeast liquid yeast was the ticket... bit more cost and freight to get it out in the bush pronto... but seems to have been good and am running second brew on a slurry (week later) and that smells great too... am hoping that this might just be the business for HW... And I just am really appreciative of you brewers providing some cooooool direction on all this as I really think that I have stepped ahead big-time due to being able to read-review-ask-challenge and gather knowledge.

I went away for a long-weekend and had the opportunity to have a few commercial beers... which I used to like... and I was appalled at how thin and tasteless they were... 

Fortunately on the way back I was able to grab a Growler of Rusty Penny's IPA at ABV7.1% which reminded me of how good beer can be... 

Anyway - just a Vote of Confidence on how good this community is... really do appreciate it!  😃

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cappo that does sound interesting - so are you using just plain old wheat grains - and mashing them for a little extra body ?

And maybe also head retention and mouthfeel?

Yeah. It’s probably more mouthfeel than extra body, but yeah that’s exactly what I’m doing. 

Probably does help with head retention a little too. 

• Like 1