Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Oh yeah I didn’t think of that I do a sparge so have a smaller mash volume so didn’t have that problem with needing to go too deep to get the grains. I did the decoction cause I didn’t have the same grain bill as what you use and was worried about the flavour lacking but it’s great anyway😎

Great stuff RDT2 - looks the complete biz!

Got a lovely bag of Weyermann's in the Larder so might have to try what you did... only got rainwater so might just have to use that as well ; )

So with your decoction mash - do you take a good proportion of the grains out mid-mash - boil them for 20-30 and then return them?

Does your mash temp then change as well...  like from 66 up to 70 or?

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm actually interested to try decoction mashing but doing a triple decoction like they traditionally do. Just gotta work out something to scoop the grains out of the bag with. At the moment I just use melanoidin malt to mimic the flavour you get from it, but it'd be interesting to try a real one. 

So Kelsey what does the Melanoidin malt bring to the Pilsener flavour profile?

And why the acid malt - better efficiency?

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Very nice hop combo there @Norris!

Cheers Kirk. I have been playing with it for a while and I really like that blend. I have also done a batch or two with a smidgen of Nelson sauvin which brings out some other elements of the hop. This batch had a large mash hop of Amarillo for bittering and a 30 min boil.  It is only 4 days carbonated but nice.

It hasn't cleared as much as I hoped but still a nice colour.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Great stuff RDT2 - looks the complete biz!

Got a lovely bag of Weyermann's in the Larder so might have to try what you did... only got rainwater so might just have to use that as well ; )

So with your decoction mash - do you take a good proportion of the grains out mid-mash - boil them for 20-30 and then return them?

Does your mash temp then change as well...  like from 66 up to 70 or?

I took about a third out and drained it then slowly brought it to the boil for 15minutes I stirred it the whole time as I was petrified of burning it I then mashed for another half hour and then sparged can’t tell you if it made a huge difference but it made a nice 🍺 I had mashed an hour before The decoction as I had to take the kids to school.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So Kelsey what does the Melanoidin malt bring to the Pilsener flavour profile?

And why the acid malt - better efficiency?

It's meant to give that more rich malty flavour that decoction mashing gives. Given how close my side by side tests have been I'd say it works pretty well. The acid malt is there to bring the mash pH down to where I want it, usually around 5.2-5.3.

• Thanks 1

So I got off of work and tried another one of the Munich MAC in Amarillo. This is a great beer that I am very proud of. Good bitterness, nice complexity from the malt, good color and aroma that hits you about when the glass is a good foot from your mouth. I give this 5 out of 5.

The recipe doesn't show the 50g of mosaic, azacca and citra dry hopped. The fwh was actually a mash hop for 30 minutes, a short stay in Amarillo for the MAC. The lme is 1.5kg of Munich lme.

Cheers

Norris

20190816_165041.thumb.jpg.d42a4b49a6e1c11e18fbe2346635049e.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-170156.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-170203.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 8

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, RDT2 said:

I took about a third out and drained it then slowly brought it to the boil for 15minutes I stirred it the whole time as I was petrified of burning it I then mashed for another half hour and then sparged can’t tell you if it made a huge difference but it made a nice 🍺 I had mashed an hour before The decoction as I had to take the kids to school.

Sounds good - and your beer looked GREAT - so you musta done something right ; )

Good stuff RDT2!

And yes... I have lost an AG brew with burning - so reckon your caution is well directed.

Cheers and good brewing. 

BB

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

US style wheat.

3:2 Wheat to Pale, Enigma, Galaxy and Amarillo. Ale yeast.

30 IBU and an easy drinking 6%. Yum. Nice and clear too.

IMG_20190816_150049.thumb.jpg.52c0069df9dae0d65f045792d7d4e708.jpg

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice Benny!  Go the Wheat Beers!

Cheers @Ben 10

I reckon it will just get better over the next 3 or 4 weeks this keg is on tap. I actually had no idea what to do with the Munich lme, I was tossing up an Oktoberfest type lager but I just wasn't sure if I wanted to drink that for a month+ so I decided to just do an ale and hope for some colour that wasn't sludge. This is my 2nd time using Munich in a brew, malt one time and lme this time, I love the backbone and color it adds...but I am sure the 50g of choc malt helped the colour a tad also.

I might even make this again even though I will be brewing all grain batches soon. Good beer is good beer, no matter how it was made!

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

US style wheat.

3:2 Wheat to Pale, Enigma, Galaxy and Amarillo. Ale yeast.

30 IBU and an easy drinking 6%. Yum. Nice and clear too.

What temp did you go at Benny for the Primary Ferment?  Loooks niiiiiiiiice.

This is my only lager produced this winter. I spent much time and effort on this and it has produced a crisp, balanced, if not lighter (ABV) beer. 

I put it in my top 2 beers for taste this year.

After 2 weeks CC it has been "lagering" in winter ambient shed temperatures for 7 weeks.

20190817_131503.thumb.jpg.1bae26efcbb1d3eed30ab951207bebeb.jpg

Batch 86:   Landrace Lager 

• 23 litre Batch
  • 2.6kg Export Pilsner
  • 1.3 Vienna
  • 400g Munich, @63c/70min,
  • 10g Simcoe FWH
  • 20gSaaz/@ 5m
  • 16gSaaz/4gCascade@FO
  • 2 x S-23 Yeast
  • Wort start 15c. ETC set to 10c
  • Mash yield 23L. No-chill cube o/night.
  • 2 x Tbsp of Polyclar (PVPP) clarifier @ CC+2
  • OG:  1.035
  • FG:  1.012 1.005  4.3%

Bott: 25/6/19

Comments:

28/5/19: Taste is exceptional. FG 1.012. Set ETC 12c. 29/5/19: Set 14c. 30/5/19: Set 15.5

31/5/19: Set 18c

1/6/19: Set 18c. Taste ok. FG 1.006

4/6/19: Tastes great, Nice Saaz. FG 1.005. CC over 3 days to 1c.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, Worthog said:

This is my only lager produced this winter. I spent much time and effort on this and it has produced a crisp, balanced, if not lighter (ABV) beer. 

I put it in my top 2 beers for taste this year.

Gold Hoggler!!!

Great stuff.

Congrats and well done mate!   And GO the mighty Landrace!

image.png.d4c3abd7b75ed2eca2fc571ffb3f895e.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dark ale watching the Lions. They might wanna get a move on if they want the win though.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - Go the Bears - whoooops - the Lions!

image.png.db1ce2232b719a8f368df448985cad4c.png

2 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Found a box of 12 longnecks of '18 Vintage ale in the back of the shed.  This is at least 11 months old.

The taste has mellowed for sure.

Still quite sweet though. Much like the Melbourne Storm's first half 🌩️🌩️🌩️

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190816193319821_COVER.png.a95771142f82b9d16490071578cb53ec.png

I cracked an 18 Vintage last night. Still very disappointing. One of the worst years in my opinion. The commercial version was nice. The ROTM was miles apart from it 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I cracked an 18 Vintage last night. Still very disappointing. One of the worst years in my opinion. The commercial version was nice. The ROTM was miles apart from it 

Oh I'm glad. I've tried my hardest to like this beer - hence the 12 longnecks at the back of the shed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elLachlano said:

Oh I'm glad. I've tried my hardest to like this beer - hence the 12 longnecks at the back of the shed

Haha nah you’re spot on. It was the hop that was pretty harsh as well as the first year that it wasn’t the toucan of APA and Real Ale