Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Hi Greeny.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

@Beerlust

These are great. Beats the hell out of dry hopping if you have kegs.

20190110_205411.jpg

I get it, but the need for it I still have reservations with. I feel if you get your recipe right this sort of thing isn't required.

I once had an underwhelming beer I had produced flavour-wise upon tasting prior to bottling/kegging. Hairy suggested adding a hop-tea to remedy the lack of flavour I had made from my recipe. I must say, it worked a treat at correcting the deficiency

I firmly believe if you are making your beer recipes to the desired levels this sort of process is not required post ferment. To that, if you are bottling your beer, this fresh hop dunking & exposure becomes very difficult to replicate.

I look at this sort of process in a practical sense as mainly a corrective measure, but aside from that, merely an overkill or perhaps "show-off" process to impress a few mates.

I try to create recipes that don't require any additional processes I can't complete within the generally accepted 2 week timeframe from the beginning of primary fermentation.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

Fair enough lusty. For me it has its benefits.

Firstly freshness of the hop flavour and aroma. It definitely lasts longer than a traditional dry hop in the keg. Secondly the cost benefit. In my estimate you are using 60% of the hops to get the same benefit from a dry hop. Hops = $$$ so a 40% saving is well worth it. Especially on a heavily hopped beer.

22 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Greeny.

I get it, but the need for it I still have reservations with. I feel if you get your recipe right this sort of thing isn't required.

I once had an underwhelming beer I had produced flavour-wise upon tasting prior to bottling/kegging. Hairy suggested adding a hop-tea to remedy the lack of flavour I had made from my recipe. I must say, it worked a treat at correcting the deficiency

I firmly believe if you are making your beer recipes to the desired levels this sort of process is not required post ferment. To that, if you are bottling your beer, this fresh hop dunking & exposure becomes very difficult to replicate.

I look at this sort of process in a practical sense as mainly a corrective measure, but aside from that, merely an overkill or perhaps "show-off" process to impress a few mates.

I try to create recipes that don't require any additional processes I can't complete within the generally accepted 2 week timeframe from the beginning of primary fermentation.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Lusty,

Before your say that this isn’t required I think you should do it yourself. 

Don’t rubbish an idea before you try it. I’ve just tried it and I over hopped the keg hop. I halved my usual dry hop and it’s wasn’t enough, I’d say a third would suffice or 3/5 would be more spot on.

It is basically the same as dry hopping but in the keg, I’m actually surprised you haven’t done this yet considering your love of hops. 

If I dry hop a beer it costs me $16. Keg hopping is about $10. 

I will be keg hopping beers from now on, just not at the 90g I did. Probably around 50g. 

I challenge you to keg hop your next hoppy pale, then come back with your conclusion 

2 of the 4 kegs i have have a place underneath the lid to hook in the tea ball or hop sock. The 2 older kegs i dont so i dropped the tea ball to the bottom. I have to say though when i did that which if my memory serves was twice i got even more of a hit of hop flavour. So from a consistency point of view i use my new kegs to keg hop only now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Might try a modest 15-20g for the first go.

Yep! Don’t be an idiot like myself and over do it. 

I think the next brew I might traditionally dry hop, then push a 15-20g keg hop, it’s sensational for this style of beer. 

Actually, I think I’ll do an exbeeriment and do the same recipe, tradition dry hop v a keg hop.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, #granted+brew said:

IMG_20190109_172655.thumb.jpg.e9b95c00a9df186d50eb99bccc736969.jpg

Coopers Pale Ale tin and kilo of raw sugar, one and a half kit yeast made to 21 litres. Fermented at 18°C for 12 days, no cold crash.

20 days in glass now and it's not a bad beer. Also a cheap fridge filler for these hot Adelaide days. 

Cheers, Lee

Do you prefer the raw sugar to a kg of Dex or LDME Lee?

Just now, The Captain1525230099 said:

Wow!

i leave a beer a couple of weeks, Mrs Captain finishes the rest!

Mrs Hairy wasn’t a fan of this one, hence why it has lasted longer. She can do DIPAs but doesn’t like dark beers from ambers onwards.

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Mrs Hairy wasn’t a fan of this one, hence why it has lasted longer. She can do DIPAs but doesn’t like dark beers from ambers onwards.

Ha ha mines the other way. The darker the better apparently. Not sure where she got that from being a kiwi, must have been the few years in Europe in her early twenties 

Edited by The Captain1525230099

23 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Before your say that this isn’t required I think you should do it yourself. 

My earlier comment about addressing a lack of flavour/aroma by using post ferment hopping techniques says that it does have an impact. All I'm saying is if you get the recipe balance right to start with, it shouldn't be necessary in most situations. I hop my beers well to start with so the process isn't necessary with my beers.

...Don’t rubbish an idea before you try it. I’ve just tried it and I over hopped the keg hop. I halved my usual dry hop and it’s wasn’t enough, I’d say a third would suffice or 3/5 would be more spot on.

I'm not rubbishing it. I just don't need it. If you understand what is happening then you'd understand all you're buying is a fresher kind of fresh by placing them in the keg post ferment. That's all. If $2.00 worth of hops matters that much to you then go for it I say. 😉

...It is basically the same as dry hopping but in the keg,

I rest my case. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do you prefer the raw sugar to a kg of Dex or LDME Lee?

Hi @Bearded Burbler

This was my first time using the APA kit so can't compare it to using with any other ingredients. I'd be inclined to use LDM next time as this one is quite dry. It's finished gravity was 1.002

My main goal was a cheap beer for summer to drink while my next two or three batches age. 

I also did a real ale kit with a kilo of raw sugar to 21 litres after this batch and the sample i drew at bottling time was very tasty in comparison.

Lee. 

• Like 1

Brew day beer.  I'm not wasting any time with this one - getting into while it's young and fresh!

Citra Pale Ale -  a simple enough partial based on an OS Lager can, 2.15kg of Gladfield American Ale malt and a small dose of carapils and Gladfield sourgrapes.

100g of citra all up. 

CitraPA-1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1