Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Cascade Short First Wort Hop Pale Ale.

First pour from the keg...

SFWHPaleAle-1.jpg

....barely a few minutes later...

SFWHPaleAle-2.jpg

It's still a bit green, but I'm really, really happy with it.

I may have even found "The Grail", or at least the method for it.

Big win today. 😊

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 7

Hiya Capt. 🙂

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

What’s the noticeable difference?

I haven't brewed a FWH beer for quite a while now so my sensory perception is adapting to a few different things with tasting this beer atm. The beer this brew was modelled & adapted from I brewed almost 5 years ago. I have a handful of notes I made about that beer to compare with, along with some hazy memories of it.

In isolation from simply tasting one glass of this beer, it has lovely hop integration with the malt profile just favouring the hops. It has a lovely smooth but noticeable bitterness. The aromatics wafting from the glass are improved over the last brewing I did of the beer when doing a full 60min boil after the FWH steep. The improved glass lacing is a feature of FWH'ing in general (I found) & the pic above certainly proves that hasn't been lost with a shorter boil.

Beyond that, I need time for the beer to age some to gauge more enduring factors & how the shorter boil time may have affected those aspects of the beer as it ages.

It's too early to 'beak off' about it yet, but the beer is certainly impressing me in the right areas off the bat.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

You look to have nice clarity on it John. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeh, first in a long time Lusty, not sure 🤔 what I did different, whether it’s the grain bill or the extra cold crash time, anyway I’m pleased 😀 

2 hours ago, Silmaril said:

Well I think I have a new favourite Coopers kit. Did an English Bitter with no recipe alterations. Has been in the bottle since 10th Feb. And it is very nice indeed!

ebj.jpg

Thanks I have been looking for some inspiration .... will do one ... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Silmaril said:

Well I think I have a new favourite Coopers kit. Did an English Bitter with no recipe alterations. Has been in the bottle since 10th Feb. And it is very nice indeed!

ebj.jpg

I bottled the Battleship Bitter recipe based on this can yesterday. Smelt and looked great going into the bottle and the sample tasted exceptionally nice. Looking forward to trying it in a couple of weeks 

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 1

Getting through my batch of the Oktoberfest lager from the recipe section. 

Upped the crystal to 300g instead of 250 and did a 10min boil with 30g of Saaz. 

Lagered for 12 days before I cracked and needed to try it. 

Despite the photo this bad boy is nice and clear. View of moreton bay ain’t bad either. 

Cheers

2F5B9859-A79C-4F41-8129-871F4689CCAF.jpeg

• Like 12

First try of the Kilowog Krush II, it is good and the wife and family loved it, so pretty happy with this one. I forgot to grab some c02 on the way home so this will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday night to really have a little session.

They kept saying it reminded them of Kaiju Krush....fair enough but I wasn't going for a clone and honestly I doubt it is one due to the hops used, but I will take the compliment. The in-laws literally said it was a beer they would buy and commented on how my beers have improved so much from when I started brewing, uh thanks, I think...hahahah.

I wanted to thank the brain trust for their guidance and assistance throughout my journey...which is still going!

I will let the bottles ferment for another week before I send them out for tastings.

Cheers

Norris

PS. @Beerlust

I went with a tad more wheat and carapils in this batch and the head stood up pretty well on this first couple of pours. Cheers Mate for the suggestion, it definitely seemed to help, but still very early to know for sure.

20190319_180914.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

PS. @Beerlust

I went with a tad more wheat and carapils in this batch and the head stood up pretty well on this first couple of pours. Cheers Mate for the suggestion, it definitely seemed to help, but still very early to know for sure.

I'm glad it appears to have helped. Simplistically, wheat for head development, & a Cara grain of sorts to increase FG & keep the head there longer.

A number of the lighter Cara grains work very well to improve your beers head retention without adding much in the way of extra sweetness that often some brewers believe will happen if they use these grain types in their beers. Not always true.

CaraHell is another of my fav lower EBC/lower sweetness level Cara grains. It sits just above CaraPils (I think?) in terms of EBC ratings. It works very well for head retention without impacting on flavour in any major way.

Your latest beer looks great Norris. Congrats! 👍

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Enjoying the last few tallies of what I dubbed the

'Hop sesh IPA'

1× T.Coopers Brew A ipa

1kg LME

200g Dextrose

made to 23 Litres

180mls slurry (kit yeast) from previous IPA.

Brewed at 18°C

Dry hop commando on day 4, 30g Galaxy, 10g each Mosaic and Cascade.

45 days in the bottle now and the hops have faded off significantly but it's still a good drop. I don't think I'll be commando hopping again in a hurry, I think I prefer containing them..

IMG_20190319_182754.thumb.jpg.fd1e38fc87fc57df8f7250643adf2926.jpg

Cheers, Lee

• Like 8