Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

31 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks awesome. Love your backyard too.

Cheers Greeny…. really appreciate your candid and great advice along the way - as well as all the others on the Forum... has been an enjoyable and challenging journey...

Am - with help of some clever colleagues/mates/people I know - making some changes to my AG infrastructure... and hope to do a new brew soon and show the bits of gear done to make things easier... 

all modelled around from what I learnt on this site... and then the hurdles I encountered on the way to doing my first AG thing... 

Bottled a Coops Euro Lager this evening - using Kelsey's temp regime for a lager for the first time - so am still doing KnK… and keen to see how it works out...

But other than emergency brews to get some more in - think I will gravitate to AG (and hopefully can buy Coops Malted Grain)… see how we go.

Cheers for now

BB

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Greeny…. really appreciate your candid and great advice along the way - as well as all the others on the Forum... has been an enjoyable and challenging journey...

Am - with help of some clever colleagues/mates/people I know - making some changes to my AG infrastructure... and hope to do a new brew soon and show the bits of gear done to make things easier... 

all modelled around from what I learnt on this site... and then the hurdles I encountered on the way to doing my first AG thing... 

Bottled a Coops Euro Lager this evening - using Kelsey's temp regime for a lager for the first time - so am still doing KnK… and keen to see how it works out...

But other than emergency brews to get some more in - think I will gravitate to AG (and hopefully can buy Coops Malted Grain)… see how we go.

Cheers for now

BB

Yeah mate got to say this site has been where I have learnt the most by far. In my early days I read a copy of how to brew. It was helpful but I learnt more from this forum than I ever learnt from the book. 

I still use kits too from time to time. Usually in partial mashes and usually when I run low on stocks and need to get a few down quick. A fresh kit will make a great brew if you do the other things right. Water, temp etc..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah mate got to say this site has been where I have learnt the most by far. In my early days I read a copy of how to brew. It was helpful but I learnt more from this forum than I ever learnt from the book. 

I still use kits too from time to time. Usually in partial mashes and usually when I run low on stocks and need to get a few down quick. A fresh kit will make a great brew if you do the other things right. Water, temp etc..

Yes mate - dunno whether it was you or one of the other Brewers who said - a good KnK brew is better than a bad AG... and that is spot on.

My recent Toucan - Dark Ale + OS Lager + kilo of LDME is just amazingly good... seriously?!

And the forum has been really good - pushed me to temp control...  and now my water has settled down... so the very first and most important steps...  think I am ok with that now...  

Now I need to just trial and error a few different types of AG-hop combinations and see how the results come up 😜

12 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

Sitting in my norwegian wool sweater drinking a sweet oatmeal stout I got from a neighbor who also makes beer. Tasty. It was raining earlier so I thought a dark beer could be nice.  It lost it's head quiet fast but I guess that happens at 6Vol%.  

Sounds like a good strategy kleine Drache!  😝

But I don't really concur with the 'losing head fast when ABV is up' hypothesis....  plenty of my brews are up there in ABV.... even my Dark Ale Toucan calculates at 6.5% and its head retention is pure gold... 

I suspect it tasted good all the same ; )

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But I don't really concur with the 'losing head fast when ABV is up' hypothesis....  plenty of my brews are up there in ABV.... even my Dark Ale Toucan calculates at 6.5% and its head retention is pure gold... 

It was more a reference to me loosing my head when drinking high ABV beverages. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, der kleine Drache said:

It was more a reference to me loosing my head when drinking high ABV beverages. 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh Little Dragon.... the old Burbler was a little slow on the uptake and now stands corrected 🤣

But I would suggest losing your head after some strong ABV would be better than loosing your head....mmmm guess one could argue either way ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

I am still sipping on the partial mash cerveza ale I made. Funny thing, my wife now says this is the best beer I ever made?!? For real, woman! This is a good beer with nice aroma and clean, crisp flavour and taste, but I would not rank it as my best work. It is good though.

I will say that it is hard to screw this brew up and with mosaic, azacca and citra with a pinch of Nelson sauvin. The US05 is nice to, I do not pick up any yeast flavours or esters at all, 18c ferment for 4 days then bumped to 22c to finish it off then cold crash.

20190603_165154.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 7

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, Smashed Crabs said:

First beer back in Australia .. they saw me coming thou $12 per a schoey of fat yak... Feels like Singapore prices haha. Got my home brew in the fridge for when I get home later can't wait to crack em.

IMG_20190601_114139.jpg

…. how does this rate... looks like poor head retention, watery mouth-feel, presence of chill-haze...  I would suggest writing back to the Kit Producer and asking for me money back 👺

Suspect you woulda been better off with the Pinot Grigio and saving a dollar fifty!

Just joshing... airports are generally exy place to buy beer... except Munich Airport little supermarkets - same price for a 0.5L tinny as in town ; )  

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

I have been drinking a beer on tap for the past couple of weeks and I couldn't remember what hops I had used. I didn't use brewing software, just threw things in on the run.

This morning it hit me; Wai-iti hops. Very tasty. I will need to use it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

This morning it hit me; Wai-iti hops. Very tasty. I will need to use it again.

Yes, a very low-alpha hop I've used a few times now.  Once brewed a Brit golden ale with Wai-iti as a generous single hop and on that occasion I really got plenty of the 'peaches' often mentioned in the hop descriptors.   😋

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have had quite a few batches with M54 that finished at 1.012ish. I felt that it should of gotten to 1.010 but ALWAYS assumed it was due to the carapils but now you, @BlackSands

Have noticed the same has me wondering if it is the yeast? 

It seems as though it's the yeast given that for me it's now two brews in a row that have failed to attenuate anywhere near the FG expected.  Attenuation was around 67% in both cases which is well short of the claimed 77 - 82%  🤔     One of these brews was an a kits n bits so it not as if there's a huge amount of unfermentables in the mix.  

• Like 1

I have a pack in the fridge waiting to be used, I might use it on a 1.040 or below brew to give it some more body. I like the yeast but think US05 is just as good, or Nottingham, when I want a clean taste.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have a pack in the fridge waiting to be used, I might use it on a 1.040 or below brew to give it some more body. I like the yeast but think US05 is just as good, or Nottingham, when I want a clean taste.

I opted for M54 because it looked as though it was going to be a really good 'short-cut' choice for a brewing lagers/pilsners -  the warm fermentation temps plus the manufacturers claim that there was no need for extended largering with it's very low sulphur production. 

The beer produced, as best I can tell from unconditioned flat samples, is very clean and crisp on the palate so it does live up to the claims in that regard but the poor attenuation is a little annoying.    Also, as mentioned it's apparently a 'high' flocculating yeast too but I found the CC'd and fined beer still remained very hazy right up until bottling day.  

Anyway...  I'll be sampling my pilsner in a week or so and I'll then see how it's going...     

• Like 1

I found that haze issue with 1469 on its first use as well, even though the claim is that it is a good flocculator. However, once I get it past about 3 generations it drops like a stone. The red ale I did with it most recently was pretty much clear from the first pour. I haven't had that happen for a while except with the lagers. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

…. how does this rate... looks like poor head retention, watery mouth-feel, presence of chill-haze...  I would suggest writing back to the Kit Producer and asking for me money back 👺

Suspect you woulda been better off with the Pinot Grigio and saving a dollar fifty!

Just joshing... airports are generally exy place to buy beer... except Munich Airport little supermarkets - same price for a 0.5L tinny as in town ; )  

Yeah mate can't expect much, was a shit beer and beer was cheaper on the flight .. pirate life for $10. Was a free flight also and here's me complaining about the beer prices haha. 

• Haha 2