Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

10 hours ago, joolbag said:

Tell us more mate.

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 30.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         1          64.5 %        2.28 L        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          27.6 %        0.98 L        
0.20 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50.0 EBC)                    Grain         3          3.7 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.7 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         5          0.6 %         0.02 L        
20.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           6          16.6 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Lambic Blend (Wyeast Labs #3278) [124.21 Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No oak. No cherries, it is ALL the yeast.
The second one was dumped onto the cake and has been in the carboy thing a lot longer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Russian Imperial Stout

111 days in the bottle.  Glorious!

886363869_RussianImperialStout.thumb.jpg.eb6cae25463f0dcee3fb9ecff6698baf.jpg

I think the Mighty Magpies might get rolled tonight. My gut tells me to get on the Swans to win 1-39 at $3.20. 

I really hope I’m wrong

On 5/22/2019 at 10:02 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I reckon proper cameras still take better photos than phones. Plus they're usually easier to hold steady. 

I don't know if this applies to all digital cameras but I find with phone cameras if you take a picture of a beer angled down at it, it significantly distorts the shape of the glass, making it look huge at the top and tiny at the bottom. 

Huawei P30's cameras are getting very close to "proper" cameras though small sensor size will always be an issue.  It is now possible to shoot RAW (as opposed to .jpg) on some newer phones and hence the potential to produce excellent results. 

The distortion you speak of is a function of wide-angle lenses.   Aside from shooting beer photos where I'm usually using a prime lens of longer focal length my usual lens I most often shoot with is actually an ultra-wide and the vertical distortion can be quite extreme, far more so than you see with your phone's camera.  Some wide-angle lenses may also produce noticeable barrel distortion.  I have the option of doing geometric corrections in post, but for your phone shots, you're best to keep everything at the same level.   😎

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Russian Imperial Stout

Looks great Shamus!  Me too- I am v impressed you lasted those 111 days mate.  Was it locked away in a deep vault or lost in the archives? 😝

1 hour ago, der kleine Drache said:

Yeah, I've experienced visual distortion sometimes after drinking a barrel.  

You might like this one kleine Drache… I had a lot of visual distortion after drinking Spaten in Germany.... 

My take on it was that they were actually trying to tell you something being called Spaten - in English = SPADE

And that was - after you had drunk copious quantities - the next morning it felt like someone was banging you over the head with a spade!!

(might have had something to do with severe dehydration and too many Marlboro Reds too at the time too maybe 👺)

image.png.fd58aa00501b41ce24a9c9d0bb662f59.pngf

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, der kleine Drache said:

Yeah, I've experienced visual distortion sometimes after drinking a barrel.  

Seriously.... that changes the landscape completely when it comes to the definition of 'Barrel Distortion' !

Nice one DCD. BB1

Happy Friday Lads! 🍻

A nicely balanced Raspberry Blonde fermented with K97 yeast. Used 500g frozen berries from the stupidmarket.

981603362_IMG_20190523_1821352.thumb.jpg.a3202bd31a1cbe2fb6a31daab7c852c7.jpg

Great tasting beer. Lots of raspberry hint, but with sweet, sour and bitter all sharing the stage nicely. Well carbed too.

These aren't gonna last long, especially after my wife had a go at it 😉. Scheduling in another batch for Spring.

I'm about halfway through drinking my strange fruity brewing phase, although I do have that raspberry wheat that was on ROTM to do yet.

• Like 7

A best bitter-style featuring 50% Gladfield Aurora malt and Rakau hops. A beautiful beer I have to say.   I preceded this brew with an NZ Pale Ale which featured 25% Aurora partnered up with Wakatu and Wai-iti hops.  A nice enough brew which is disappearing fast, but the aurora malt certainly dominated in that context.  Here, even though it's double the amount of the Aurora it is, quite surprisingly far more understated and really sits exceptionally well in this style.  Rakau also seems to very much suit the style too.  A great combo I think. 

This one won't last long!  😜   

AuroraBitter-1.jpg

• Like 6

Coopers IPA brew the last of my extract/partial mash  brews very tasty not much aroma now as it sat for two months as I went overseas but still nice. Dad said it’s too bitter and hoppy for him??? It’s funny he likes emu export which I find bitter and not my favourite 🍺 

F6A78B09-2078-43E0-84C3-0AB6953B8CBB.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

A best bitter-style featuring 50% Gladfield Aurora malt and Rakau hops. A beautiful beer I have to say.   I preceded this brew with an NZ Pale Ale which featured 25% Aurora partnered up with Wakatu and Wai-iti hops.  A nice enough brew which is disappearing fast, but the aurora malt certainly dominated in that context.  Here, even though it's double the amount of the Aurora it is, quite surprisingly far more understated and really sits exceptionally well in this style.  Rakau also seems to very much suit the style too.  A great combo I think. 

This one won't last long!  😜   

AuroraBitter-1.jpg

Can you let me know when you’re posting so my lazy photos aren’t compared to yours I might have to get the Nikon out and start experimenting with lighting backgrounds etc nice shots by the way

Edited by BHB19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Now having my AG Brown Porter bittered with chinook probably just about my favourite beer with a nice little coffee aftertaste but not over the top nicely balanced in my opinion 👍

DBD39E99-BE9C-4308-9029-5E2BBC24E157.jpeg

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, BHB19 said:

Now having my AG Brown Porter bittered with chinook probably just about my favourite beer with a nice little coffee aftertaste but not over the top nicely balanced in my opinion 👍

Looks and sounds delicious!

• Thanks 1

Well 111 days isn't even 4 months so it's not that long really. I dunno how many days it's been since late October/early November whenever I kegged my stout but it's around 200 😜.

Gonna do a batch each of it and my porter for next winter as I can spare two kegs for ageing, but I'll drop the ABV on the stout back to its usual 6.5-7% ish. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

... but I'll drop the ABV on the stout back to its usual 6.5-7% ish. 

Oh why is that? Are you finding the flavour is negatively affected by the higher ABV, or would you just rather be able to drink more volume?

Cheers, 

John

• Thanks 1

Absolutely stoked tonight. 

Cracked the first of my own 150 lashes recipe brews after 3 weeks in the bottle. 

Wow what am absolutely brilliant beer. Tasty, good head and carbonation, absolutely nailed it. 

One happy man 🙂

20190524_215656.jpg

20190524_221912.jpg

Screenshot_20190524-220210_BrewTracker.jpg

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Absolutely stoked tonight. 

Cracked the first of my own 150 lashes recipe brews after 3 weeks in the bottle. 

Wow what am absolutely brilliant beer. Tasty, good head and carbonation, absolutely nailed it. 

One happy man 🙂

20190524_215656.jpg

20190524_221912.jpg

Screenshot_20190524-220210_BrewTracker.jpg

Well done congratulations it’s awesome when it works out👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Oh why is that? Are you finding the flavour is negatively affected by the higher ABV, or would you just rather be able to drink more volume?

Cheers, 

John

Nah the flavour is great, but this batch was mainly to experiment with the reiterated mash technique. I just figured something like a stout would be ideal for the higher ABV. I may well use the technique again with this recipe and others like IPAs as it did reduce the efficiency drop usually associated with bigger grain bills. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Looks great Shamus!  Me too- I am v impressed you lasted those 111 days mate.  Was it locked away in a deep vault or lost in the archives? 😝

Actually could not wait.  I opened one each month, up until now.

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Russian Imperial Stout

Nice Shamus,

I get home soon finally after being away for 4months and have this to look forward to! my RIS is about 160 days old I called the missus and got her to put a couple of each of my brews in the fridge. Think I'm looking forward to the stout the most or the mead to see how they have turned out aged.

• Like 5

On 5/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, RepSpec said:

Just finishing the last of my Raspberry Saison...

I'm torn with this recipe...I liked it a lot, but not sure when I would brew it again...I think a lot has to do with not many people liking it. I'd say 30% of people who tried it liked it, 50% were eh about it and 20% were definitely a no. Where as almost all my other beers, the feedback has been really positive....

IMG_20190507_202259.jpg

why would people not like it enough to make you think twice about doing it again? I've never had a saison so keen to learn of its nuances.

• Like 1