Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

@porschemad911

Doppelbock, aged about 18 months now so getting some interesting umami flavours developing

OMFG.. um, not a session beer. Sweet, malty and something else. Weird, but nice.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191215195334510_COVER.thumb.jpg.13d0d14770602ddc1c4c335bd9b4dc30.jpg

imperial smoked porter, around 20% smoked malt

Very nice easy drinking lightly smoked porter.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214211825568_COVER.thumb.jpg.79e2f05d716b5ddf937639793a893e5b.jpg

imperial black saison, with a bit of French oak so there's a chance you may hate it... Needs to be a little drier, but it was an extract beer. Tasty though. 

Like  RIS, stunning. Little bit of oak, not offensive at all. Could drink this until I fell over. BOOOOOZY

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214210043995_COVER.thumb.jpg.db282645ccca2518a81b85ebe3fe4d5e.jpg

Stunning collection, thanks so much. I hope mine are as satisfying.

• Like 9

What Am I Not Sure I Will Drink in 2019 (or Anytime), or maybe I will.

Just back from two weeks holiday in Merimbula.  I will post a few Todays Tastings of the brews I tried while away.  Time to check out my Black IPA AG from a few weeks ago. 

Now onto this brew, it was the one with the massive stuck sparge.  I tried one after ten days and it had no fizz, but tasted good with a great aroma.  I had high hopes for what this would be like after four weeks.  I am disappointed.  A tales of two brews in the one batch.  The brews in the photo are the same, just from different bottles.  Right is from a flip top Grolsch, left is from a PET bottle.  Clearly one has carbonated well and the other has not.

This has not turned out much like a Black IPA.  There is still some hop aroma, but not much.  The bottle I drank after ten days was not carbonated, but had a great hop aroma.  That aroma has now almost entirely gone.

I poured the dregs from the bottles onto saucers.  You might recall that I said that the wort seemed to have a lot of fine dark particles in it.  It is a bit hard to tell from the photos, but the discolouration in the middle of the plates shows some of this material.  I do not know how, but I think this stuff, probably related to the stuck sparge has contributed to the inconsistency.  The beer tastes more porter-like.  I think that if the crush of the dark grains was a bit fine and some of these grains have stayed in the wort and into the bottles, their flavour has taken over the brew.  The funny thing, although a bit hit and miss, both glasses were drinkable.  Acceptable as a Dark Ale or Porter.

IMG_1477.JPG.92736957a90e5aa5553664b63fdf43df.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

How’s Merimbula mate. Gods country there. My (former) in-laws are from there and there’s no better place for me in Australia. Tura beach, tathra, Eden, pambula.  Absolute Devine 

100% @PaddyBrew2, I will retire there one day.

Surprised to see quite a number of shop vacancies there.  Having said that, a shop that was vacant when we arrived, was an actively operating real estate agent by the time we left (two weeks).

The new Woolworths is great.  Not as quaint as the previous site, but good underground parking and a wide range of products.

Tura Beach Country Club does a great cheap lunch.  As does the Merimbula RSL.

The smokes shop in the arcade, near the Salvation Army shop, sells basic brewing ingredients.  I found this out at the end of our holiday.

We will be back.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

@porschemad911

OMFG.. um, not a session beer. Sweet, malty and something else. Weird, but nice.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191215195334510_COVER.thumb.jpg.13d0d14770602ddc1c4c335bd9b4dc30.jpg

Very nice easy drinking lightly smoked porter.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214211825568_COVER.thumb.jpg.79e2f05d716b5ddf937639793a893e5b.jpg

Like  RIS, stunning. Little bit of oak, not offensive at all. Could drink this until I fell over. BOOOOOZY

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214210043995_COVER.thumb.jpg.db282645ccca2518a81b85ebe3fe4d5e.jpg

Stunning collection, thanks so much. I hope mine are as satisfying.

Haha cheers @Ben 10... Looking forward to yours arriving. If you drank those 3 in one sitting you'd be feeling fairly happy with life.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/15/2019 at 3:36 PM, Beer Baron said:

I’m trying to drink my Bohemian Pilsner but as you can see it’s all foam. The culprit is my fridge which is f@“king broken. Right near Christmas. F@“k f@“k f@“k

8322BE58-38D0-443A-9D89-FC959339EE8C.jpeg

It's still a remarkable set-up with the ripper wooden handles mate - very nice.  But deffo would be better with some chillin' going on behind there.  Hope you can get it sorted soon Cob.

BB

A KnK of Cooper's Australian pale ale, BE2 and a steep of POR hops. This pales into comparison with some of the beers posted on here but when it's been 42C here today, I don't care. This beer is cold and wet and that's all that matters to me. Actually tastes ok too.

Cheers.

IMG20191217210707.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Nasty old smoky day yet again and a raging inferno all over the place.  No good.  My closest is now at 344,000 hectares.

But am safe enough to crack the @PaddyBrew2 inspired Black IPA AG I did in October in my then new SS Mesh Basket with Re-circ pumping... so it is known as 

Black Basket ; )                  FG 1015... comes in at around 7%ABV. 

Split the batch and this one is with Enigma and Galaxy.   Is creamy Black Gold.  Wheat (Barrett Burston and some Redback as well) helps with creamy texture... the amazing Weyermann Carafa III Dark Malt... beautiful. 

Photo a bit lacklustre but that's our scene at the moment.  And it's cleared up mightily since this morning (the sky).  Cheers.

image.png.402e15dc339994beb51f52dd374bfebe.png

image.png.05eb6a1fe866cfd7d156d7adfbcc222c.png

On that day, at that moment I wish I was drinking THAT beer.

Great pic.

Lusty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

It's still a remarkable set-up with the ripper wooden handles mate - very nice.  But deffo would be better with some chillin' going on behind there.  Hope you can get it sorted soon Cob.

BB

It won’t be getting fixed anytime soon unfortunately.
Christmas is a week away and car rego is just into the new year.

Yesterday my son was visiting his nieces and he done a front flip on the trampoline and somehow his phone came flying out of his pocket and went over the big netting that surrounds the tramp and went straight into the pool 5 metres away. 

More money.......

Edited by Beer Baron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hear you. Both our regos are about 2 weeks apart. Just did those. Then my car battery decided to shit itself on Friday arvo when I was trying to get home from the fish and chip shop. Result, soggy food and an expensive battery, because diesel batteries are more than unleaded for some reason. Bigger I guess. It's also due for a service and needs new tyres in January. My phone screen is also broken, just not badly enough that I can't use the phone, so I've been putting off fixing it but it will need doing too. It's just never ending.

• Sad 2

@Beerlust sent some beers. This one had B on the lid. Probs should have been left in the fridge a few more days to clear but ... no.

Nice hoppy nose, good bitterness. Obviously a pale ale of some sort. Would not go astray in a craft brewery.
Makes good beers that bloke. Should still go all grain at sometime to have complete control over EVERYTHING.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191218201534364_COVER.thumb.jpg.9cfd8b72032e4ca9a0c75dbd3a25013f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

@Beerlust sent some beers. This one had B on the lid. Probs should have been left in the fridge a few more days to clear but ... no.

Nice hoppy nose, good bitterness. Obviously a pale ale of some sort. Would not go astray in a craft brewery.
Makes good beers that bloke. Should still go all grain at sometime to have complete control over EVERYTHING.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191218201534364_COVER.thumb.jpg.9cfd8b72032e4ca9a0c75dbd3a25013f.jpg

Nice looking beer @Beerlust

What aromas and flavours are you getting @Ben 10 ( when I say that I think of these guys and expect to hear..."citrus", there series is pretty good but yeah, citrus pops up a tad with a lot of the hops but aroma and all is subjective)?

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

@Ben 10

Thanks again for the Flanders red, was very tasty. Must be a pretty low pH, fairly firm acidity, really like the malt flavour that comes through in the after-taste. I thought I got the slightest hint hint of butyric which made it interesting (but could be mistaken). The only thing that would make it better for me would be a good dose of Brett funk, but I know that's not what these beers are typically like. Maybe a touch of oak wouldnt go astray. I enjoyed it a lot but I think I preferred the Belgian Pale. What yeast was in that beer? Forbidden Fruit?

DSC_0188.JPG

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

@Ben 10 Thanks for the kind words mate. The "B" on it was for "Ben" so I didn't accidentally drink it! 😉

A bit of a mixed bag I sent you up this time so am glad at least one has come across well.

I'm looking forward to sampling the two you posted down this coming weekend. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I enjoyed it a lot but I think I preferred the Belgian Pale. What yeast was in that beer?

3538-PC Leuven Pale Ale.

The Flanders is 3rd generation 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend 

Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 10:05 PM, Beerlust said:

On that day, at that moment I wish I was drinking THAT beer.

Great pic.

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty - that's a pretty cool bit of feedback.  Thanks mate.  Been a pretty shittttty old time the LAST MONTH since the fires been going on so I really appreciate it. Cheers Cob. BB

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 6:37 AM, Beer Baron said:

It won’t be getting fixed anytime soon unfortunately.
Christmas is a week away and car rego is just into the new year.

Yesterday my son was visiting his nieces and he done a front flip on the trampoline and somehow his phone came flying out of his pocket and went over the big netting that surrounds the tramp and went straight into the pool 5 metres away. 

More money.......

I dunno what to say Cob... I feel for yer with all the brew stuff but the phone... mmmm... maybe he can also contribute to sorting that out... plus maybe in future he can leave his far gen phone on the kitchen bench before proceeding to the tramp?

• Like 1

Me Bavarian mate @Aussiekraut was just requesting some inf re Hefeweizen and I think that @Hairy and Greeny suggested Wyeast Weihenstephaner W3068 which is why I used it and he was just going to put a FWK down... which reminded me that I had some remnant Wheaties myself ... and after a foul day... and after work mowing more dead grass and sticks to make a bit of a grass-fire-barrier as the fires continue I decided I needed a cleansing Hefeweizen... AG gold and I had both - the early 50:50 wheat and Barley and then the second one with more Barley cos the AG wheat seemed to be a bit of a battle being gluggy in the mash - both nice... and 3068 is a winner.  Check out the dense smoke in the background.  Cheers brewers and we're praying for rain.

image.thumb.png.695d10de20cd6db0b7a2c9d1ddc8234b.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 5