Jump to content
The Captain!!

What are you growing? 2019

Recommended Posts

We only have a small apartment 🙂

So far though, we have:

  1. 1 large strawberry plant that survived the winter, 3 babies we sprouted from dried seeds last year
  2.  Tons of basil
  3. Green onions we keep recycling
  4. A small window sill tomato plant!
  5. A bunch of button mushrooms (perfect for an apartment btw)

Here's our plant stand we made out of bunnings wood and some daiso quality crafts

 

 

Plant_stand.jpg

Edited by squarerootnegative1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First lot of garlic for the season. 

Smell coming off them is amazing

D6881297-F9AE-4E95-B176-E09B4593DE76.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, The Captain!! said:

Grew some rosella this year.

made some Jam today. 

2EC73E05-8CE5-4661-8D2B-D84B71918FA5.jpeg

I was today years old when I found out rosella isn't just a tomato sauce brand or a bird.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MortageLifterRougeGrosse.jpg

Mortgage Lifter, Rouge De Marmande, & Grosse Lisse. Delicious!

I did have some issues this year. That series of 40°C+ days blistered quite a few, & I did have some blossom end rot problems with some San Marzano's I'm also growing that are noticeably absent from the pic as I've had to throw pretty much all of those that ripened out. The current San Marzano's still growing look a lot better though, so fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

MortageLifterRougeGrosse.jpg

Mortgage Lifter, Rouge De Marmande, & Grosse Lisse. Delicious!

I did have some issues this year. That series of 40°C+ days blistered quite a few, & I did have some blossom end rot problems with some San Marzano's I'm also growing that are noticeably absent from the pic as I've had to throw pretty much all of those that ripened out. The current San Marzano's still growing look a lot better though, so fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Looking good lusty. Nothing like homegrown tomatoes. Put a crushed egg shell in the bottom of every tomato you plant. Will solve the end rot.

Mine are just kicking off now in Sydney. Planted them a little late this year so missed Xmas. Grosse lissee and cherry varieties. They love the spent beer grain compost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beerlust

You could also try a bit of liquid potash for the end rot,  it might help the next flowering ones But not the ones set already. 
 

Good stuff Lusty. Love it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice guys. Both good soil preparations to avoid this apparently. From what I read it is suggested to be possibly due to a lack of calcium.

I've been home growing tomatoes for the last 4-5 years & this is the first time I have experienced blossom end rot. I ended up crushing a few egg shells to a fine crush & adding them to the soil but then realised that takes a few months to really benefit the plant. So found a powdered form of calcium & began mist spraying the leaves of the plant. Seems to have worked reasonably well.

Will prep my soil a little better next year. 😉

Cheers & a happy new year to both of you! 👍

Lusty.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

So found a powdered form of calcium & began mist spraying the leaves of the plant. Seems to have worked reasonably well.

Will prep my soil a little better next year. 😉

Cheers & a happy new year to both of you! 👍

Lusty.

Aspirin will also do the same thing. Also a good side effect from the aspirin is that the tomato plant thinks it’s being attacked, this then sends all the goodness to the fruit. Making the fruit even tastier.

Works better on the determinant varieties better than Indeterminate like the ones you have have harvested. 
 

Happy new year to you too Lusty. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Aspirin will also do the same thing. Also a good side effect from the aspirin is that the tomato plant thinks it’s being attacked, this then sends all the goodness to the fruit. Making the fruit even tastier.

When reading info about my blossom end rot problem I did come across advice about the use of aspirin.

Interesting how aspirin helps relieve a headache for humans, but appears to give a tomato plant one! 🤔 🤣

Just a warped observation.

Lusty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...