Coopers Community

What are you growing? 2019

The Captain!!

We only have a small apartment 🙂

So far though, we have:

1. 1 large strawberry plant that survived the winter, 3 babies we sprouted from dried seeds last year
  2.  Tons of basil
  3. Green onions we keep recycling
  4. A small window sill tomato plant!
  5. A bunch of button mushrooms (perfect for an apartment btw)

Here's our plant stand we made out of bunnings wood and some daiso quality crafts

Plant_stand.jpg

Edited by squarerootnegative1
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

MortageLifterRougeGrosse.jpg

Mortgage Lifter, Rouge De Marmande, & Grosse Lisse. Delicious!

I did have some issues this year. That series of 40°C+ days blistered quite a few, & I did have some blossom end rot problems with some San Marzano's I'm also growing that are noticeably absent from the pic as I've had to throw pretty much all of those that ripened out. The current San Marzano's still growing look a lot better though, so fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

MortageLifterRougeGrosse.jpg

Mortgage Lifter, Rouge De Marmande, & Grosse Lisse. Delicious!

I did have some issues this year. That series of 40°C+ days blistered quite a few, & I did have some blossom end rot problems with some San Marzano's I'm also growing that are noticeably absent from the pic as I've had to throw pretty much all of those that ripened out. The current San Marzano's still growing look a lot better though, so fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Looking good lusty. Nothing like homegrown tomatoes. Put a crushed egg shell in the bottom of every tomato you plant. Will solve the end rot.

Mine are just kicking off now in Sydney. Planted them a little late this year so missed Xmas. Grosse lissee and cherry varieties. They love the spent beer grain compost.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys. Both good soil preparations to avoid this apparently. From what I read it is suggested to be possibly due to a lack of calcium.

I've been home growing tomatoes for the last 4-5 years & this is the first time I have experienced blossom end rot. I ended up crushing a few egg shells to a fine crush & adding them to the soil but then realised that takes a few months to really benefit the plant. So found a powdered form of calcium & began mist spraying the leaves of the plant. Seems to have worked reasonably well.

Will prep my soil a little better next year. 😉

Cheers & a happy new year to both of you! 👍

Lusty.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

So found a powdered form of calcium & began mist spraying the leaves of the plant. Seems to have worked reasonably well.

Will prep my soil a little better next year. 😉

Cheers & a happy new year to both of you! 👍

Lusty.

Aspirin will also do the same thing. Also a good side effect from the aspirin is that the tomato plant thinks it’s being attacked, this then sends all the goodness to the fruit. Making the fruit even tastier.

Works better on the determinant varieties better than Indeterminate like the ones you have have harvested. 

Happy new year to you too Lusty. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Aspirin will also do the same thing. Also a good side effect from the aspirin is that the tomato plant thinks it’s being attacked, this then sends all the goodness to the fruit. Making the fruit even tastier.

When reading info about my blossom end rot problem I did come across advice about the use of aspirin.

Interesting how aspirin helps relieve a headache for humans, but appears to give a tomato plant one! 🤔 🤣

Just a warped observation.

Lusty.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...