Coopers Community

What are you growing? 2019

The Captain!!

51 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Brut/Saison, almost the same thing to me. Brut is just a trendier name atm using a similar french yeast strain with high attenuation.

The colour in Benny's Saison was the feature to me. Really beautiful & not like anything I had seen before. Certainly not a hue I think could be created with any grain I know of.

The only thing I said the beer could have done with was an aroma to match the beautiful colour he had created. 

ufEB5Vc.jpg

Look at the gorgeous colour of Benny's Rosella Saison. Quite outstanding. What would you want the aroma of it to be?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I’ve seen that photo before and he’ll yeah that’s a great pink hue. 

I’ve been thinking about Sabro for the coconut flavour/aroma. 

Im actually not sure on the style just want it dry but I also think that 1.010 is probably dry enough done right. 

The taste of rosella is kind of like rhubarb. It’s tart. 

11 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

...The taste of rosella is kind of like rhubarb. It’s tart. 

You can control that element by the weight of flowers you use. This will also influence the depth of hue. Ben10 tripled it from his first batch to the second.

I would guess you could also influence the overall tartness of the beer with your choice of yeast. The higher attenuating strains leave less malt sweetness & body in the beer so accentuate non-malt aspects of the beer like hops & fruit etc. Some of the lower attenuating British strains do come to mind as a means of shifting that balance & curbing the tartness.

Adding the flowers/flower based solution pre-fermentation, instead of post-fermentation would likely have some affect too.

These are certainly the areas I would be looking at if playing around with a beer like this.

Best of luck with yours Capt. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

@Beerlust Im thinking ill do a "base" beer first just to see how this flower behaves in the beer.

As far as the mouthfeel was concerned, this is why I was thinking about the oats to kind of offset the tartness, with a little bit of mouthfeel. Might not work but hey, its only beer.

I guess by doing this base I can play around with it each year to get closer to what I would call a good beer. Im going to pick some more today and freeze them for use at a later date.

This'll also help with adding them later.

On another note, I was thinking about adding the jam to the beer as its only flowers, water and sugar. I thought this was gong to be a good way to be able to sanitise it before adding to the fermenter. However after boiling the seed pods for the pectin......... yeah nah, thats not going in the beer. Its so thick and creamy, with this really off putting smell, like sweaty gym socks mixed with three day old farts.

Thanks for your help Lusty, plenty to think about. Ive only had 6 months to think about it while the plant grew.

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

What am I growing?? 

I’m definitely not growing a cool beard. I’ve tried but it’s patchy as and it’s brown, grey and red. 

Oh how I wish I could grow a cool beard 😭 

I wouldn't want one of those hipster beards. There's enough of them out there as it is. They're everywhere!

Walking the streets these days it's like being in an episode of the Goodies surrounded by Rolf Harris's! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

...On another note, I was thinking about adding the jam to the beer as its only flowers, water and sugar. I thought this was gong to be a good way to be able to sanitise it before adding to the fermenter. However after boiling the seed pods for the pectin......... yeah nah, thats not going in the beer.

With the Blueberry Porter I brewed, I made a fruit compote (similar to a jam) from the blueberries with just dextrose & water. Just a gentle mashing & slow simmer to force the fruit to breakdown into solution. I just kept topping up with water to stop it burning/caramelising until the consistency was pretty good. The wort I created was still a little lumpy but after a vigorous stir in the fermenter with my main wort, the physical matter that remained just dropped out to the base of the fermenter like hop matter would. The flavour & aroma from the blueberries through the porter beer was/is really good. The beer has a hint of tartness to it, but I reckon that's maybe because I used Nottingham (high attenuating yeast) on the brew or perhaps leaving the skins from the berries in contact with the beer.

How do you plan to use the flowers?

Cheers,

Lusty.

33 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

With the Blueberry Porter I brewed, I made a fruit compote (similar to a jam) from the blueberries with just dextrose & water. Just a gentle mashing & slow simmer to force the fruit to breakdown into solution. I just kept topping up with water to stop it burning/caramelising until the consistency was pretty good. The wort I created was still a little lumpy but after a vigorous stir in the fermenter with my main wort, the physical matter that remained just dropped out to the base of the fermenter like hop matter would. The flavour & aroma from the blueberries through the porter beer was/is really good. The beer has a hint of tartness to it, but I reckon that's maybe because I used Nottingham (high attenuating yeast) on the brew or perhaps leaving the skins from the berries in contact with the beer.

How do you plan to use the flowers?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah, planning on doing the same sort of thing, just water, a little sugar and the flowers. then adding to the FV pre fermentation. I think the tartness is needed as if your using a fruit you should be able to taste the fruit.

I was looking at doing a similar porter this winter used on your tasting notes that I've read. Looks like a great beer. We have a local supplier here of excellent quality frozen blueberries for a reasonable price. ($8 per kilo)

• 2 months later...

I have a massive crop of pepper coming this year. Should be good. Made a curry from almost all backyard flavourings the other day. Chilli, ginger, pandanas, curry leaves it was well yummy.
Was drinking tequila recently with backyard juice - orange, passionfruit, lime and red grapefruit. That was GREAT.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I have a massive crop of pepper coming this year. Should be good. Made a curry from almost all backyard flavourings the other day. Chilli, ginger, pandanas, curry leaves it was well yummy.
Was drinking tequila recently with backyard juice - orange, passionfruit, lime and red grapefruit. That was GREAT.

Effing love to hear that sh!t. Makes my day when people are enjoying their own fruits from their labour. Not that it really is that much labour

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, The Captain!! said:

Well the garlic is all planted out for this year. A little late getting them in but it should be ok. 

Dropped mine in March this year, been oh so dry so have irrigated to get them started.

Do you pre soak your cloves?

6 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Nothing like a good Mandy. What variety have you got there? Imperial?

Yeah this type is Imperial. They are my favourite,sweet yet tart, and the first available 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

20191006_120650.jpg

Fig in the foreground (RHS)?

By chance put a few Tom Roma seedling in the veggie patch today.

Slugs & snails will probably demolish tonight for dinner!! Have a reserves & slug/snail bait.

What Tom varieties did you run with in SA?

Cheers YB

10 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Fig in the foreground (RHS)?

By chance put a few Tom Roma seedling in the veggie patch today.

Slugs & snails will probably demolish tonight for dinner!! Have a reserves & slug/snail bait.

What Tom varieties did you run with in SA?

Cheers YB

Yeah fig trees starting to bounce back after winter. I put in mini Romas, berry ripe and lollipop cherry tomatoes. Roma and Mighty Red full size. 

• Like 1

Good selection. Hard to beat the cherry Toms in the summer salad. Normally I run with the Tommy Toe Toms.

May your Tomato plants bear plenty of fruit all summer long.

BTW I got lucky my Roma seedlings survived the night so must slug/snail bait today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son and I planted out some tomatoes today, I got him some little raised garden bed pots so he could grow his own little cherry toms he loves so much. 

First lot of garlic is about to be harvested in a weeks time I think. It’s a full 3 weeks behind when it has been harvested over the last 5 years. A lot smaller in size too.

jalapenos planted today. 

Also some radish and lettuce 

• Like 2