Coopers Community

What are you growing? 2019

The Captain!!

The bulk of my Christmas presents in recent years have been homebrew for the boys and sunflowers for the girls.

I grow the sunflowers myself and the girls love them, especially the more compact varieties that have multiple blooms on the same plant.  If I get them in by Cup day then they are opening their blooms at Christmas and they keep blooming.  And all you need do is water them.  

The boys love their brews, the girls love their flowers - and everybody loves their Uncle Jim.  

And Uncle Jim, the thrifty old bugger that he is, gets out of Christmas pretty cheap.  

• Haha 5

Last year I bought a tomato seedling from Bunnings. It went nuts and I had tomatoes everywhere.

This year I received a few seedlings from an off-grid friend of mine... haven't had a single ripe tomato yet! I think I'll go back to the Bunnings grafted variety next year.

• Sad 1

On 1/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, James of Bayswater said:

The bulk of my Christmas presents in recent years have been homebrew for the boys and sunflowers for the girls.

I grow the sunflowers myself and the girls love them, especially the more compact varieties that have multiple blooms on the same plant.  If I get them in by Cup day then they are opening their blooms at Christmas and they keep blooming.  And all you need do is water them.  

The boys love their brews, the girls love their flowers - and everybody loves their Uncle Jim.  

And Uncle Jim, the thrifty old bugger that he is, gets out of Christmas pretty cheap.  

I love you Uncle Jim.....Can I have some beer now😂

• Haha 1

Noice iv got 12 sunflowers my daughter planted going at the moment. Unfortunately this Sydney heats been a scorcher lately and I left the green house sealed during the day by mistake and my Carolina reaper and Trinidad scorpion chillies copped a flogging. All the flowers an leaves pretty much dropped off. But after a few days in a cooler area iv got some regrowth happening. Looking forward to getting some chillies off them as I want to try make some small batch chilli beer.

I am planting heaps of Chillies & Asst Herbs in pots - Parsley/Thyme/Rosemary/Oregano/Marjoram/Dill/Basil etc & a few Dwarf Tomatoes. Not much ground space but plenty of room to hang stuff. I use herbs in all of my cooking, BBQ's etc & it's convenient to just cut a little at a time instead of buying them & chucking the rest out 3-4 days later.

Also good excuse to go outside & look after them & have a 🍺 or nine !

20190106_144728.jpg

20190106_144549.jpg

20181227_150643.jpg

• Like 5

I got Dad a few tomato plants for Christmas after he'd been talking about growing some. They were planted the next day and although one didn't make it, the others are all looking good. They're in the old planter box that had the Hallertau hop plant in it. Hopefully they will produce a nice harvest so I can sample a couple. 

I have plans to grow a pineapple plant or two here as well. Used to have them as a kid and they were always nicer than the bought ones.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Otto,

Sounds like you could have something a bit different going - maybe Tomato Beer with a Hoppy taste 😁

I killed the thing when I burnt it down last winter. The soil kept smouldering for days afterwards. It did get rid of all the nutgrass in there though so that was a positive 😂

I don't know about you guys but I grow most of the salad veges/herbs but also have a huge Nectarine tree which I use to make a Nectarine Chilli Jam ( Habenero ) it is great with a Cheese Board etc.

Also make my own Beef Jerky & also dry Nectarines, Chillies etc in the Food Dehydrator. Keeps me off the streets !! Nothing better than Chilli Beef Jerky & Home Brew. 😋

• Like 2

Noice classic, I'm growing 4 of the hottest chillis in the world to use in my own sauces/jerkys/Jams and well just to eat on there own as a dare. They are fun in the mess when someone pulls out a self proclaimed hottest sauce or corn chip etc and ya watch the new meat eat it and swet bullets. Want to do do a reaper brew accompanied by flavored corn chip and dip challenge to my shipmates. See who can handle it.. 

• Like 1

Hi Smashed Crabs,

I was a Cook in the Army & have cooked all my life & grown Hot Chillies, there are a lot of whimps out there you say they are too hot - hello, so is the Sun !!

I have a high tolerance for spicy dishes & have made many dips, Con Carne, Sauces etc & like yourself encounter folk that can't handle it.

However it all comes down to flavour & matching with the right food & drink.

Good to see there is a fellow Chilli Comrade out there.

Cheers

Phil🌶️🌶️🌶️

My chilli plants (3) grown from last years harvest seed are powering on at the moment. Just starting to make babies (post first flowering) which is going in the right direction.

Will post up a pic or two when ready to pick. Not the hottest beast in the world but suit me & my style.

Cheers