Coopers Community

Glass or plastic bottles ???

King Ragnar

The plastic reuseable PET bottles are quite good and last for many refills. Taste difference between those and glass longnecks is negligible. They are convenient and easy.

That said I have a rising percentage of glass longnecks as they are slighly more reliable over a longer period. 

Cheers

I use 750ml PETs mostly though do have some 500ml flip-top glass bottles.    I purchased about 30 new bottles and then later scored another 100 bottles second hand for a $1.  The new bottles are over three years old now and the others... who knows?  But, while I've lost a few along the way (giveaways, and a few failures from over-crbonation) I'm still using them and their original caps and they are still doing all that is required of them! 

PET's, though perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as glass do have several advantages, cheaper of course but the most obvious being they tend not to break when you drop them!  😄   Also, if over-carbonated for whatever reason they seem to just develop micro-leaks or rupture rather than explode like glass bottles can do.  The screw caps seem pretty hardy, and certainly convenient to use. I've also stored beer for up to nine month in them without issue.   

The flip-top bottles are Ok but I do find they're quite bulky - thick glass and sometimes the lids don't always seal properly.  

Many years ago when I first dabbled with homebrewing the only choice really was glass and crown seals.  I still like the idea of capping long necks etc as I think aesthetically they do look the part,  but it does make an already tedious bottling process even more so.

Archived