Coopers Community

hydrometer reading

EWildcat7

I just took my first hydrometer reading for my Aztec Gold brew.  When I drew the sample, it had a VERY potent yeast smell, much more so than any of the other batches I have made.  It had a reading of 1.008, but then I remembered that we are supposed to discard the intial draw and take the actual reading with a second.  So, I dumped it out and drew another one.  This one also smelled like yeast, although not as strong.  Again, I don't remember hydrometer samples with my other brews having any yeast smell.

With the second draw, I got a reading of 1.006, which seems to be within the normal range for potentially being a FG.  I will confirm in 2 days with a second reading.  Is there any reason based on a) the strong yeast smell or b) the difference in the 2 readings to think that something could be wrong with the brew or that the hydrometer reading may not be accurate?

5 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

was the yeast different to something you have used before?

I used the yeast that came with the Mexican Cerveza can (which is Coopers ale yeast + lager yeast).  The other brews I have done included yeast packets that were only Coopers ale yeast.  So, that could explain the difference.  I was just so surprised by how strong the smell was.

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Don't lager yeasts sometimes produce a noticeable gas that dissipates with time?  Maybe that is what you are detecting. 

Yes, some Lager strains produce more Sulfur than others. This produces a rotten egg smell.

Archived