Coopers Community

Temps for kegging

Henry1525229471

I have a batch ready to keg but the temps here are in the 40s and I only have 1 fridge so the kegs will have to sit in the shed, the shed is insulated but in this temp it will still be well over 40 I want to put down another batch so I need the fridge. How hot is to hot can the kegs sit in that temp if so how long the brew has not been cold crashed it is still in the temp controlled fridge at 19 degrees .

Thanks Henry

2 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Wouldn't recommend it. 

Can leave some strange flavours behind ( meaty / Vegemite) 

Is there room inside the house somewhere ? 

Yes Mark but there would be no room for me, my wife would spit it. I might have to put off my next brew until the weather cools down abit and put it in the fridge. Thanks 

Perhaps you could wrap them in wet towels and just keep making sure the towels are wet. Should keep the temp down a bit. 

The most ideal situation would be a dedicated fridge for storing kegs. You could put a temp controller on it as well to maintain it at 10 or 15 degrees so it's not working too hard but still keeps the kegs cool. Of course you'd need the space, power to the shed and probably permission 😜

26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Perhaps you could wrap them in wet towels and just keep making sure the towels are wet. Should keep the temp down a bit. 

The most ideal situation would be a dedicated fridge for storing kegs. You could put a temp controller on it as well to maintain it at 10 or 15 degrees so it's not working too hard but still keeps the kegs cool. Of course you'd need the space, power to the shed and probably permission 😜

I have a temp controlled fridge but I really need 2 1 for brewing and 1 for bunging the kegs in I have the room and power but I have,nt yet been able to find another fridge as for the permission always tricky

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, I have a feeling the Mrs will probably crack it when I want to get my planned fridge for storing kegs and curing meats in. Of course the advantage is that it gets the curing meats out of the kitchen fridge, but whether she sees it that way remains to be seen 😂

How good would your own cool room be eh?

Well I suppose we could just demolish the pool... Lol. Nah I only need a small fridge for that anyway. Could even get another kegerator second hand and just use it as a normal fridge. It would store a keg or two and should be enough room left for the curing pot. Plus the second ferment fridge might have enough room to store a keg too. I don't care if they aren't drinking temp cold, just don't want them hot. Usual ferment temp is fine.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, I have a feeling the Mrs will probably crack it when I want to get my planned fridge for storing kegs and curing meats in.

Initially just tell her the fridge is for curing meats. The first day she spots a keg in there, just say something like, "I had nowhere else to put it at the time" or "How did that get in there? or "I've been looking for that everywhere,..thanks for finding it!".

Just to name a few. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, Beerlust said:

Initially just tell her the fridge is for curing meats. The first day she spots a keg in there, just say something like, "I had nowhere else to put it at the time" or "How did that get in there? or "I've been looking for that everywhere,..thanks for finding it!".

Just to name a few. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

You may be onto something Beerlust. I could bullshit to the missus and tell her I am going into curing meats and the fridge by pure chance is big enough to put in say 4kegs what a coincidence and because I no buggerall  about curing meat I would just shoot over to Coles and buy a stick of mettworst or some other smelly stuff and make out I made it she will love me, putty in my hands I will get straight on to it

21 hours ago, Henry1525229471 said:

You may be onto something Beerlust. I could bullshit to the missus and tell her I am going into curing meats and the fridge by pure chance is big enough to put in say 4kegs what a coincidence and because I no buggerall  about curing meat I would just shoot over to Coles and buy a stick of mettworst or some other smelly stuff and make out I made it she will love me, putty in my hands I will get straight on to it

Haha! Things are unfortunately going to be messy when she works it out. In my experience they're smarter than they look! 😋

Cheers, 

John

1 hour ago, Henry1525229471 said:

I think you blokes may be right I will just tell the truth and hope for the best

My friend,  I'm 6'2 and 90 kg... A full grown tradesman with even lumpy bits on my chest,  shoulders and arms. 

My greatest fear is my current GF killing me while I sleep or her teaming up with my 4'10 mum to kill me slowly... Tread gently brother .

I may be much bigger and stronger and even able to reverse a trailer but Im still scared of my mum 

2 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

My friend,  I'm 6'2 and 90 kg... A full grown tradesman with even lumpy bits on my chest,  shoulders and arms. 

My greatest fear is my current GF killing me while I sleep or her teaming up with my 4'10 mum to kill me slowly... Tread gently brother .

I may be much bigger and stronger and even able to reverse a trailer but Im still scared of my mum 

Yeah Mark, I hear what your saying, I don't know what came over me, I was sober as well, I don't need a mum to help the wife she is capable of scaring me all by her self

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever problems you blokes have kegging and storing multiplies with bottles obviously during this hot summer.

I have 2 fridges in the shed for fermenting and cold crashing, and have recently been given an upright freezer.

I'm having problems usings the freezer at fridge temps for bottles, using the inkbird. It just wets everything as it tries to stay at 4c. Plus I think it doesn't like flicking on and off constantly.

Also AGL Energy owns me, trying to run all the fridges. Of course these issues are not shared with SWMBO.

Cheers

Change the differential on the ink bird so it's turning on and off less often. 

I've also found calcium chloride to be quite effective at removing moisture. I threw a bit of it in my brew fridge once, then simply wiped up the water droplets left behind afterwards. Unfortunately it works by absorbing the water and dissolving in it so you'd have to be constantly replacing it which would probably be an expensive exercise. 

3 hours ago, Worthog said:

I'm having problems usings the freezer at fridge temps for bottles, using the inkbird. It just wets everything as it tries to stay at 4c. Plus I think it doesn't like flicking on and off constantly.

Moisture can be due to a poor seal allowing air to get into the freezer, so could check all the seals.  Have had issues before with a freezer when the kids don't quite shut the door properly, extra ice over everything. 

Also, if running the cables for the probes into the freezer, can put a cut in the seal, then duct tape or silicon around it to minimise air ingress.

Archived