Coopers Community

New brewer

King Ragnar

Depends on what you want an app for? Most of the apps are for all grain recipes and monitoring brewing/results. For the coopers kits, there's not really anything they can help with, the kits are easy as. If you want to calc your abv, there are plenty of simple apps for doing that.

11 minutes ago, King Ragnar said:

Does anyone recommend any good apps I’ve been looking on the iTunes and found a few any feedback would be great 

I do use the Coopers Brew Tracker app on iTunes.  It appears to be still on iTunes.  It is very basic, not really user friendly, but does what I  want and is free.

Cheers Shamus

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do use the Coopers Brew Tracker app on iTunes.  It appears to be still on iTunes.  It is very basic, not really user friendly, but does what I  want and is free.

Cheers Shamus

Cool I found that one wasn’t sure if it was the Coopers one. I wasn’t fussed if it isn’t the Coopers one. I’ve seen online people with mixed reviews on some of the apps and I’m not that good at keeping track with a diary log or making a spreadsheet. 

To  work our the abv should I take a sample at the initial stage to get a reading 

5 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Depends on what you want an app for? Most of the apps are for all grain recipes and monitoring brewing/results. For the coopers kits, there's not really anything they can help with, the kits are easy as. If you want to calc your abv, there are plenty of simple apps for doing that.

Cool thanks for the info 

not up to doing a full grain brew just yet but it something I think I’d like to explore down the track when I get used to the brew kits

with the abv should I be taking a sample at the initial brewing stage to get a base reading or are they all pretty much the same when doing the brew kits ( cans of ready to go ) mix

1 hour ago, King Ragnar said:

Cool thanks for the info 

not up to doing a full grain brew just yet but it something I think I’d like to explore down the track when I get used to the brew kits

with the abv should I be taking a sample at the initial brewing stage to get a base reading or are they all pretty much the same when doing the brew kits ( cans of ready to go ) mix

The Coopers app has an ABV calculator.  You take a Specific Gravity SG measurement using a hydrometer before you pitch your yeast.  Then you need the Final Gravity (SG when it becomes stable over a few days) once fermentation is complete.  In the app you just enter these two figures, press calculate and it gives you an ABV.  You also need to manually include 0.5% for the extra bit of fermentation generated by adding sugar when you bottle your beer. 

Google ABV calculator to see the actual formula or use an on-line calculator.

Those who force carbonate with kegs do not add the extra AVB, but I have not done that yet. 

Cool thanks for the info shamus 

I have another question 

so I’ve made the first batch with the recipe can that came with the kit 

it started to foam up for the first 2 days but now the foam is all gone 

thet temp on the stick on thermometer has been consistent on around 22-24 like the recipe says 

and I’m only 4 days in on fermentation 

is this normal or is my yeast dead. Not sure what to do as the recipe say it should ferment for 10 days from memory. 

If it is dead or asleep can it be brought back or is the batch gone 

pleas help 

Your brew should be fine. I started with the craft kit and have mot graduated to a bigger fermenter.

Hardest thing to do is leave the brew alone once activity stops. Its still doing something just sit and wait :). Check the gravity in a few days as per the instructions

What SuperNerdy said.

Your temperature is a few degrees higher than ideal, not a big issue at this stage.  You will probaby eventually get better temperature control.

The higher temperature ferments a bit quicker.  Hence why the activity dies down.  It is probably still fermenting though. 

Archived