Coopers Community

time from mix to cover

worry wort

yes, I looked this up but due to the number of 'temp' related response, many not actually addressing my situ, I've decided to throw it out there. Mixed the brew, but even using chilled water the wort is still at 23.5. Recipe I'm using called for yeast (not kit yeast) to be pitched at 20deg, but as its summer it could take a while to cool down the 3.5deg. I bit the bullet and pitched thinking in the grand scale of things 3.5 isn't that much, and as the wort can then brew between 15-24, I figured it wouldn't be that big a drama. Should I have waited?

ww.

I have a question about this, so if fermentation starts to show activity around 8 to 12 hours maybe 24 hours, if you pitch high at 24c wouldnt the time it takes to start fermentation allow for time to get the wort at the right temp so no esters or phenols should be noticed?

So we pitch it at 24c, set the fermenter in a bucket of cold water with a towel, or fermentation chamber and then let it drop to 18c or whatever desired temp, will that cause off flavours? I always assumed no, but we all know about assuming stuff!

Cheers

Norris

51 minutes ago, worry wort said:

Morgans American Ale yeast

Morgans ale yeast is US05

51 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have a question about this, so if fermentation starts to show activity around 8 to 12 hours maybe 24 hours, if you pitch high at 24c wouldnt the time it takes to start fermentation allow for time to get the wort at the right temp so no esters or phenols should be noticed?

So we pitch it at 24c, set the fermenter in a bucket of cold water with a towel, or fermentation chamber and then let it drop to 18c or whatever desired temp, will that cause off flavours? I always assumed no, but we all know about assuming stuff!

Cheers

Norris

Gday Norris!

I think you need to take into account pitching rates, with the correct cell count and pitching temp you'll end up with right amount of yeast.

I think* in the beginning of fermentation the yeast are multiplying, so pitching too warm will result in an over-pitch, and so for example if you are underpitching yeast, then pitching a bit warmer will up your cell count.

But alot of the time these small differences are indistinguishable in the final tasting, but sometimes they are so thats why we reduce the variables.

Recipes are built so they can be replicated, in traditional brewing techniques that used chillers and sparging etc. And now newer techniques like no chill and BIAB

The lag phase is mostly about multiplication,  there will be some fermentation including Ester production within the first few hours but it's minimal. 

Temp, cell counts/ yeast health ,available oxygen , nutrient levels and wort make up all factor into how much cell growth you'll have but 

RDWAHAHB 

2 hours ago, worry wort said:

Morgans American Ale yeast

It'll be fine. 23 isn't that high to pitch it and if it's coming down to 18 or whatever you're fermenting it at, it'll get there in a few hours. I've done plenty of pale ales with American ale yeast pitched there or a bit higher in the mid 20s and they were all fine. I do prefer to pitch at or a bit below fermenting temp though. 

I think its universally agreed that the optimal is to pitch at fermentation temperature. However experience has told me that it doesn't make much difference as long as you get it down to the temp fast. Most lagers i have done have been pitched at ambient then cooled in the fermentation fridge because i fast chill them and its impossible to get it to 10c with the hose. Usually takes 4 or 5 hours of the fridge working its ass off to get it down. Still makes an awesome beer.

Archived