Coopers Community

No chill

PaddyBrew2

I’m gonna take the plunge into AG when I get back from Ireland in January. Gonna get me a robobrew. Obviously no chill is big here in Aus and I’ve been reading up on it. 

I read an article on brulosophy where old mate advocates this method for malt driven beers but states to steer well away when brewing hop bombs ipa’s etc which are my favourite. 

I know there are some calculations done for hop additions during the boil when doing no chill but just wanted to ask the wider community who no chill , how they find it when doing IPAs etc ?

Hey Paddy, 

I no chill and do IPAs fairly regularly. If doing a hop bomb I cube at 82 degrees. I’ll chuck in 30-50g, It extracts a little bit of bitterness but BeerSmith accounts for that. 

I don’t think you’ll have any issues at all.

Edited by The Captain1525230099
  • Thanks 1

Don't make IPA much but do make a fair few pale ales which are hoppy as well. 

I think the best way to approach it is to simply play around with the additions to find what suits you best, as everyone does it a little different. 

For mine, I use a small bittering addition, then 5/10 minute, flameout and cube additions.  I find this produces a decent hop flavor and aroma (there is a dry hop of course too). However, I construct the hot side hop additions backwards in Beersmith, so I'll add the 30-40g cube hop first, then a 25-30g flameout addition, same weight 5 or 10 minute boil addition, then top up the IBU with a 60 minute or first wort hop addition. 

I've read that brulosophy thing on no chill and I have to assume he didn't adjust anything or didn't do it properly from what was written about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Not sure if you keg paddy but there is keg hopping aswell.

Or buy a chiller. Ill probably go that way and skip the cube.

Any beer i want to dry hop that will be kegged gets keg hopped. For me keg hopping s%its all over dry hopping then kegging. The hop presence lingers far longer than a traditional dry hop.

A chiller is good and so is a cube. I recommend both methods depending on what you are doing but each to there own.

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Already found what looks like a lid for a chest freezer in the garden shed still in its packaging 😂

Of course you did!! Uncanny luck.

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

This one has a vinyl lining so probably be worth doing something similar. 

Yep certainly would be worth it. Nothing worse for a pool than having a hole in the bottom of it. 🤪

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hmm, since I have a pool now maybe I can just chuck the cubes in there after they've had 10 minutes or so hot. Drag them out after an hour or so they should be pretty chilled down.

I put my cube into the Laundry trough and change the cold water a couple of times. I leave it a few hours and when I remove it it is always under 40c. Then o/night it ambiently. Seems to work ok for me hop-wise.

Cheers

I lost the plug for the laundry tub at the old place.  Well, I know where it is but it can't be got. Stupid thing dropped down the tiny gap between the tub and the wall. 

I haven't had any complaints just leaving the cubes to cool by themselves but it will be interesting to see if I can notice a difference with pool chilling. 

I haven’t noticed any taste difference in doing no chill normally, I’ll pool chill if there is a massive cube hop, just to make sure I’m not extracting too much bitterness. It’s all adjusted for but still piece of mind. Or when I want to pitch that night. It’s handy to have in the right situations 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I lost the plug for the laundry tub at the old place.  Well, I know where it is but it can't be got. Stupid thing dropped down the tiny gap between the tub and the wall. 

Haha I'm guessing you don't use the laundry tub much if you've never bought another plug. 

• Haha 2

so, when i manage to empty this keg, i can clean and keg another waiting to go.

i can then dump in 2 lagers that are cubed and awaiting a freezer to ferment in. good times, clear advantage for me of no chill, there is no way i could do that with a chiller.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...