Coopers Community

Making my Pale Ale recipe more Sessionable

Seadog18$

Shipmates. I have been churning out my Australian Pale Ale using just a 1.5kg can of LME at 18degC  & it is proving to be quite delightful in this basic simple style with no additives. What I would like to add to my cellar is a Session Ale based on this pale ale & was wondering if just brewing with 25l of water instead of 23 l would have enough flavour? Would  the abv would be back down enough to be a session ale? All suggestions welcome.

Hey mate 

Are you just putting dextrose with your brews?

Maybe try dry malt extract instead, or even better still liquid malt extract instead of dextrose.

Prob taste a bit thin with just extra water and nothing else.

There are other legends on here that know way more than me.

Cheers 

Ek 

Thanks for the reply EK.

You'll notice in my post I mentioned I use a 1.5 kg can  of LME ( Light Malt Extract ) ,mainly as it is easier than dissolving DME.....my supplier twisted my arm.

The other "Legends" are sure to come to my aid.

Yeah mate just top it up to 25L that should drop ur ABV without thinning the beer. Do you add any hops ? The coopers session ale is just:

1 x APA can

1kg LDM 

25g each Galaxy and Melba and made to 22 Litres 

So u can either try LDM and make smaller or like you suggested just top up a little.

Check out the recipe i use. in a 23ltr brew it works out around 3.5% and very sessionable.

I have also used this with with APA can instead of the Mexican one. Used the mexican one for this recipe as its a bit "lighter" in colour and flavour to the APA can

Thank you for your replies shipmates. I will try the Mild Ale first as it is one of my favourite pub beers.

I've laid in a good supply of Australian Pale Ale stubbies for Christmas Day lunch, so will be able to serve the decanted beer into freshly chilled glasses & give 'em the royal treatment. Then I'll have the commercial yeast to re-activate for my first batch of Mild. 

The Nelson's Light sounds interesting too Lusty, so that might just be the batch after the Mild.

Al.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ben 10 said:

Melba is hard to come by.

My version of session ale was 1kg light dry malt extract, Can of Aussie Pale Ale. Added Enigma and Galaxy hops to a boil (15grams of each for bittering) then once done topped up with 23ltr of water and used US-05 yeast. Added another 15 grams of each at day 8 for 4 days to dry hop.

Makes a good Session Ale beer.. fairly much a copy of the Coopers Session Ale but used Enigma instead of Melba. 

I like more hops personally though so will add extra when I brew this again

Archived