Coopers Community

Toucan stout

supernerdy

1 hour ago, supernerdy said:

Hey guys, talking to @Gully85 and he has suggest a toucan stout for my first crack.

Have looked around and though best to ask again for some ideas of a toucan. Hoping for a chic/coffee taste

It depends how long you intend to keep before drinking, but.......

I steep 250 grams of choc malt and add. I start drinking it after about 4-6 weeks in the bottle and I like it.

I find anything over 6 months and it tastes of coffee, which I detest. Some of my work colleagues love it though.
I have a case which is at least 18 months old and I can't drink it.
I did take some down the local surf club a few weeks ago. Certainly raised some eyebrows.
Along with a comment about it being like asking for an extra shot in your morning coffee.
A bloke in work is going to take it off my hands in exchange for a couple of Coopers cans and a kilo of dextrose.

If you're  looking for an instant coffee hit I think some people add coffee from those pods or brew fresh coffee to add.

31 minutes ago, Graculus said:

It depends how long you intend to keep before drinking, but.......

I steep 250 grams of choc malt and add. I start drinking it after about 4-6 weeks in the bottle and I like it.

I find anything over 6 months and it tastes of coffee, which I detest. Some of my work colleagues love it though.
I have a case which is at least 18 months old and I can't drink it.
I did take some down the local surf club a few weeks ago. Certainly raised some eyebrows.
Along with a comment about it being like asking for an extra shot in your morning coffee.
A bloke in work is going to take it off my hands in exchange for a couple of Coopers cans and a kilo of dextrose.

If you're  looking for an instant coffee hit I think some people add coffee from those pods or brew fresh coffee to add.

Plan is to brew now and drink May/June(or end of April). Havent had a lot of porters or stouts to drink yet so looking to experiment a bit.

Coopers Dark Malt you mean a Coopers Dark Ale 1.7kg Extract?

I would sub out the BE3 for 1kg of dryed dark malt. Not sure whats in BE3.

Found S04 yeast has worked well in my Stouts. FG 1014

Assume you are thinking 23l, I go short (20l) for an Extra Stout.

All the best with the brew.

1 hour ago, YeastyBoy said:

Coopers Dark Malt you mean a Coopers Dark Ale 1.7kg Extract?

I mean Thomas Coopers Dark Malt (1.5kg) with Coopers Ttout can

Thinking 20L as well.

Saw the brew enhancer 3 used in a few videos but might skip it

Also considering adding 100gr cacao powder as well for a bit more of a choc hit

11 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

"Toucan" generally refers to brews made with two kits. While the dark malt is still a can of liquid malt extract, it's not pre-hopped so it's not really considered a "kit".

Anyway, Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark Ale is a really good combo for a toucan stout

Initially had planned to use 2 kits just researching other options :). Been watching your videos for inspiration

36 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

"Toucan" generally refers to brews made with two kits. While the dark malt is still a can of liquid malt extract, it's not pre-hopped so it's not really considered a "kit".

Anyway, Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark Ale is a really good combo for a toucan stout

I with King Rudd as the go for a toucan stout. Vid is well worth watching.

Simple Stout, no fuss is the Kit & Kilo using 1kg of dried dark malt. Go short & give it say 3 weeks in the bottle. Comes out like a Cascade Export Stout. 

I often steep dark roasted grain 100 to 200 g to start so reckon you are on the right track re your choc flavours.

Cheers

OK so ive been shopping.. although I am using 2 can as a base i've added some extras... hopefully will be a Mocha Stout

250gr x choc malt (cold steep)

500gr Dry Dark Malt

1x Coopers Stout

1x Coopers Dark Ale

200gram Coffee.

Plan is to

Cold steep cracked grain over night

Bring to boil and mix in Dry Dark Malt Extract

Combine Coopers Stout and Dark Ale with grain/extract mixture

Fill FV to 20L

Using kit Yeast from both can

Add Coffee in hop bag

Evening me matey's 

I can't offer any advice on the mocha stout as i've never yet been tempted, but the 'best extra stout' is a black pearl!

....In fact ive only just acquired some stout kits which ill do over summer and cellar for next winter. 

I am curious about the concept of coffee being used in the brew, would you be cold steeping this??  Adding pre- boiled coffee i assume might heighten those tannins and bitterness? 

What ever you end up deciding on mate, cellar a few for winter i very much doubt you'll regret it.. 

1 minute ago, blurred said:

Evening me matey's 

I can't offer any advice on the mocha stout as i've never yet been tempted, but the 'best extra stout' is a black pearl!

....In fact ive only just acquired some stout kits which ill do over summer and cellar for next winter. 

I am curious about the concept of coffee being used in the brew, would you be cold steeping this??  Adding pre- boiled coffee i assume might heighten those tannins and bitterness? 

What ever you end up deciding on mate, cellar a few for winter i very much doubt you'll regret it.. 

Saw a video of a guy who just added the beans in a good bag for the length of the brew. 10gr per lt

Could have found the old coffee pod machine but to lazy.

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Jitter Juice recipe has 35g of coffee beans done as a "dry hop" addition.  I made this one and the coffee flavour was obvious.  200g might turn out to be a lot of coffee beans, although you are doing a 20L ferment.  Also the Jitter Juice is not a stout, so yours might be better balanced.

Cheers Shamus

Good point. Adding the beans is also done at a later stage than I had planned.

Being my first stout I might just drop the beasn to 100gr and add on day 7.. dont want to go overkill and best to stick with what I know.

So today was brew day (I'm an early starter)

200gram Choc Male (cold steeped)

100gram Cocoa

500gram Dark Dry Malt

1 can of Coopers Stout

1 can of Dark Ale.

1. Boiled the steeps 'soup' and added the Dry dark extract and the 100gram of Cocoa and disolved both.

2. Added to the FV and stired, added both cans

3. Filled to 20ltr water

4. Added both yeasts from the cans

Will dry hop with 100gram Coffee Beans at day 7/8 with hoping to bottle at day 12

Hopefully ends up as a Mocha Stout

Archived