Coopers Community

keeping it cool

worry wort

Im reading recipes that say the hops work best at low temps, like 10, 12 degrees. How do you get your wort down to that temp if you live in a moderate climate? Im on the mid north coast of nsw and even in winter, my wort usually runs about 18, is there some trick to getting it down and keeping it down, or do I have to up stumps and move south? also, what does 'mashing' involve, I see it everywhere but can't actually find how to do it.

thanks

WW.

Hey mate 

You will need a fermentation fridge with a inkbird or some temp controlled environment.

Heat pad or belt in the fridge for the heating side of things.

It will cut both the fridge and the heat belt or pad, to keep it at your set temperature.

Do a google search there is heaps of info.

goodluck 

cheers 

Ek 

Mashing is taking the grains, which have been cracked, and letting them "mash" for 60 to 90 minutes, generally, in water that is set at around 68c or so, to high and you start to extract tannins which give off flavours.

You are trying to get the sugars out of the grains so that you can make alchohol/beer out of it by adding hops and yeast or whatever else floats your boat. You mash grains and steep specialty grains and crystal malts, in general terms.

Guys

related question, I'm considering getting a fridge, my current brew won't get below 24d - how big a beer fridge do you need for the standard cooper fermenter? There's plenty of fridges available on gumtree etc but sizes vary. My own bar fridge would be a squeeze, but the mrs keeps her bubbles in there, so off limits anyway. I'm sure it's be said elsewhere, but where do you get inkbirds

thanks.

It depends really. I went with a small bar fridge that fits my fermenter. I was kind of leaning towards a freezer that could hold a few fermenters but I dont brew that much and the small fridge fit perfectly in my garage next to my kegerator. So it is up to you.

The inkbird can be found at a homebrew shop that will send it to you or online. I have the 310 version which allows me to set it and forget it as it runs the stages I preset. But I still play with it....I probably should of saved a few bucks and just got the 308 model because I like to play with it, but encase I do want it to run the stages it has that option.

2018-12-15 18.59.32.jpg

2018-12-15 19.00.16.jpg

6 hours ago, worry wort said:

Im reading recipes that say the hops work best at low temps, like 10, 12 degrees. How do you get your wort down to that temp if you live in a moderate climate?

Lagers - 10-12c. Ales 20-21c is preferred.

I have a fridge that I can fit 2 fermenters into, and I control the temp using one of these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inkbird-ITC-308-AU-PLUG-Temperature-Controller-1-97-Probe-240V-Sous-vide-Brew/331875284839?epid=535835763&hash=item4d454ef767:g:nXMAAOSwTw5Z3xTB

s-l1600.jpg

5 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Fridge reused plus inkbird 308 $40 & heat belt had kicking around for a while. 

All done & to easy.

FridgeVRealalebrew.thumb.JPG.514f9d217068b6c5c0599c75ea8b958a.JPG

Yeastdog you could just stick the heat belt to the inside of your fridge, saves sticking it to your fv everytime.

9 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Yeastdog you could just stick the heat belt to the inside of your fridge, saves sticking it to your fv everytime.

Could do however harder farnackling the FV into place at 23 kilos into fridge.

Heat belt is held on with tension and a 3 inch strip of duct tape which is about 30 seconds fitting directly onto FV. Rather heat the FV than the air in the fridge.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Could do however harder farnackling the FV into place at 23 kilos into fridge.

Heat belt is held on with tension and a 3 inch strip of duct tape which is about 30 seconds fitting directly onto FV. Rather heat the FV than the air in the fridge.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Does the fridge cool the FV or the air inside the fridge 😂 

Save 30 seconds every time. Or don't and get the same good brew. Cheers my bro. 

17 hours ago, grogdog said:

Does the fridge cool the FV or the air inside the fridge 😂 

Save 30 seconds every time. Or don't and get the same good brew. Cheers my bro. 

Thanks M8 for your dissertation on thermodynamics. Convection versus Conduction, lets not bother going there.

Apologies if you thought I was have a going at you, certainly not the case.

Probably could leave the heat belt out for the next 4 months however for completeness.

Yep the joys of brewing, we all have our own ways and tastes.

Cheers

Archived