Coopers Community

Reusing Coopers Session Ale Yeast

Smashed Crabs

From what I’ve read it’s quite aggressive. When fermented low it’s cleanish, if fermented higher it throws banana and other esters. I personally enjoy a little bit of that character but some do not and see it as an “off” flavour. 

Lusty has recently re-used it in a number of beers with good results. 

After years of brewing i doubt coopers use a yeast that doesn't stack up against fresh yeasts you can buy. My concern would be how many generation has this yeast been through before you decant and use again. Now for using slurry, and this is just my opinion and don't want to get anyones back up because many use this method. What if you have an infection in the beer you take the slurry from? Maybe a small infection that may perpetuate (big word) to the next brew.

This is why I make a starter with fresh yeast. As per kelsey's method. You dont need any equipment to do this, you can shake not stir. Then you continue to make starters from the first. Risk is minimal compared to slurry. Anyway i had a lot more to say but had a voice call that distracted my chain of thought.

Must admit when I started brewing I wasn't aware of all these additional steps and a lot of the process gets lost in brewer jargon. But it's also a hobby that evolves quite easily from buying a kit n a kilo to crushing your own grain and making your own yeast and growing your own hops .. just waiting for the people who step it further and grow there own grain. 🤣 

37 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

just waiting for the people who step it further and grow there own grain

As predictable, there is some stuff on-line about this.  Folks who grow it and malt it into grain for brewing.  Google "making beer the hard way".  It sounds interesting, but if you thought an all grain brew day was long. . . 

What I do love about this hobby is it can be as involved as you want:  Fresh Work Kit to All-grain and beyond

Cheers Shamus

You can reuse any yeast a number of times. I do it with starters, but you'll want a container about 3 litres in size to do it. The starters themselves aren't that big but just prevents a mess. 

Rather than making a big starter and splitting it into smaller amounts to use in starters each batch I just make each starter bigger than necessary and then harvest the excess for next time. I created a thread about it which details the process with pictures. 

2 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

just waiting for the people who step it further and grow there own grain. 🤣 

One day I’m going to grow enough for a batch, malt and brew. 

I want to toast some of those grains too for the same brew. Just for shizzles and giggles.

Ive been talking to a farmer friend of late about malting his own barley. He’s getting keen...... that’s all I can say for now.

Theres not enough small malt houses in Australia 

Archived