grogdog

ill put this in here for some blethering

BIAB

Tin of coopers stout

2kg pale malt

800g of oats

100g cacao nibs

200g molasses

This will be the next one down, ill pull out my crab boiler cant remember the size its 20 or 25L, not as big the the crown. Ill try not to screw this one up to bad

IMG20181213083926.jpg

So turned the oats into goop in a pot with about 4 liters of water  and brought to the boil. Can taste how slick the oat juice is. 

8L of strike water @69C and it dropped to 63C when i put the bag in so i brought it back up to 68C.  When I removed the bag after 60mins the wort had dropped to 59C

Rinsed/sparged/dipped bag in separate pot 6L @ 53C (53 because thats what it cooled to by the time i used it.

Boiled for 60mins, added coopers stout and molasses for last 5 minutes.  

Boiled cacao nibs in some wort separately on the stove because i didn't want the nibs being left behind in the urn, so using cacao powder would avoid that step. Cacao smells so chocolatey and decadent.

Ended up with 9.5L in FV. Topped up with ice bricks until 23C

Pitched re hydrated Nottingham. 

OG 1050 @ 19L. Not sure what that makes my efficiency. 

Sittting here drinking my morning coffee caramel cuppacino gives me the idea for a caramel stout

Also, saw some Date syrup in the macro section at woolies.

IMG20181216110325.jpg

IMG20181216111133.jpg

IMG20181216115042.jpg

11 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Looks good GROGDOG!!

I still have 2 bottles of my choc/vanilla oatmeal stout from early this year. I thought I’d age them a bit to see how they change. I really should’ve brewed my stout for winter next year but I’m lazy..

Cheers Baron. Howd the stout go down?

Archived