Coopers Community

Larger then normal trub

Smashed Crabs

So done a few BIAB's now and starting to notice I get a lot more trub in the bottom of my FVs. Been using whirlfloc and leaving a lot of it behind in the pot and straining through two fine mesh sieves with a chux in between.  Is it not normal with AG ? I'm about to swap to a robobrew 3v will using this bit of kit reduce it more or is there any other methods to reduce it for now ? 

I had lots of trub in my early BIAB AG batches because I was chilling (bath) then tipping, sieving/chuxing all of my boil by pouring it in and trying to leave the last little bit of hot break, etc, behind.

I purchased a simple plastic syphon, added some plastic tube, and began syphoning into the no-chill cube after whirlpool. No sieve, no chux. My 16L of wort after boil resulted in 14L in the cube leaving 2L of rubbish behind.

Next day I sieve the cube into the FV, through the tap, leaving approx 1L of break and rubbish in the bottom of the cube legs. This has resulted in minimal trub in the bottom of the FV. well below the FV tap in the standard 30L plastic carboy.

When I get a Crown Urn I will have 23L to drop into no-chill cubes. I am hoping the tap is high enough to result in similar result into the cube/s. Otherwise I will still syphon.

Cheers,

If you get an elbow pickup tube you can whirlpool the wort and keep the trub away from the outlet. I'm gonna do this with my urn over the holidays. I'll have to remove it when I use hop flowers though, otherwise my mesh filter can't be attached. 

I manage to leave pretty well all the trub behind in the urn by making essentially too much wort for the cube. There is trub in the cube after it cools, however with taps on my cubes I'm able to leave pretty well all of it in the cube as well. No filtering needed.

The result is very little trub in the fermenter other than the usual yeast cake and whatever is in that. This is one of a couple of reasons why I try to leave as much crap behind as I can. Should be even easier with the elbow pickup tube. 

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

Hey Kelsey, I wouldn't mind a picture of your elbow setup when you're done. I hope to have an Urn in the next couple of months.

Cheers.

I'll grab one when it's done. It basically just screws onto the threaded pipe that the ball valve sits on, then point the other end to the floor of the urn. The whirlpool obviously settles the trub in the middle away from it so it doesn't get dragged through.

Archived