John Morrison

Has anyone bought from cheapyeast.com.au?

Yes i have and thus far am happy with the results

Hi gents, I realised I forgot to leave my own feedback haha. I received an order in three days after I ordered. All safe and sound. Have already used five sachets in total of US-05 and S-04 all worked well.

And I had a chat with Alex over messenger. I had a few questions about yeast rehydration, pitching rate etc. Can say it seems like he knows his stuff and no BS. And he gave me the same advice as you guys did. Wash and re-use especially if I use just a few yeast types. 

So I'm happy with the prices, delivery and a service. Can highly recommend. Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone, 

Alex here from CheapYeast.com.au 🙂

First of all thanks to all of you guys who bought from me and left good feedback here, that means a lot! I've noticed a lot of people are coming to my website from this forum and this topic in particular.  

I used to sell Fermentis yeast only but as of yesterday, I added six types of Lallemand yeast: Nottingham, Windsor, Munich Classic, London ESB, Koln and Sour Pitch. And I'm planning to add another five strains soon, including a dry version of Lallemand's Voss kveik.

I thought I'd let you guys know in case some of you prefer Lallemand over Fermentis.

And again, thanks for your support! Happy brewing guys! 🙂

• Like 7

Recently returned to the forum and just caught up with this CheapYeast topic. Sounds great. I'm an all grain brewer and while I use a number of liquid yeasts I live in a regional area and it pisses me off that to buy a selection of dry yeasts, my usual suppliers are unable for some reason to just pop them in an envelope - I have to pay for the full big satchel Fastway or Auspost delivery.

Any chance of getting in the excellent Mangrove Jacks range, or have they tied up an Aussie importer? I seriously believe that if Mangrove Jacks had supplied their range of dried yeasts ten years ago the Wyeast and Whitelabs would have faced huge headwinds getting into Australia..

I riches out to MJ rep in Australia (Bevie) and the response was "Thanks for reaching out. At present, we're represented well in this space and are not looking to open up new supply". 

As far as I know (and it's not official) MJ is not producing there own yeast but order it from Lallemand, Fermentis and other producers and just sell it under MJ brand. But I may be wrong.

Edited by Alex CheapYeast

4 minutes ago, Alex CheapYeast said:

MJ is not producing there own yeast but order it from Lallemand, Fermentis and other producers and just sell it under MJ brand.

Yes that is the word around town., all they do is re-package. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alex CheapYeast said:

I riches out to MJ rep in Australia (Bevie) and the response was "Thanks for reaching out. At present, we're represented well in this space and are not looking to open up new supply". 

As far as I know (and it's not official) MJ is not producing there own yeast but order it from Lallemand, Fermentis and other producers and just sell it under MJ brand. But I may be wrong.

Yeah im not surprised by that comment either. Id put my house on MJ French Saison being Belle Saison. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

MJ French Saison being Belle Saison. 

M29? 
im really curious about that, I’ve found that completely different. Maybe ferment temps but honestly I found that different. 

Could be captain. I do all my saisons the same. Start at 18c and free rise from there up to the mid 20s mostly depending on the ambient temp. Tasted the same to me. 3711 acts very similar ferment wise as well but tasted slightly different. I wouldn't be surprised its the same as well just the drying process has changed it slightly.

• Like 1

Can't tell much about M29 but my experience with M42 is very (like very-very) similar to what I get from Nottingham. Coincidence? 🙂

23 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Could be captain. I do all my saisons the same. Start at 18c and free rise from there up to the mid 20s mostly depending on the ambient temp. Tasted the same to me. 3711 acts very similar ferment wise as well but tasted slightly different. I wouldn't be surprised its the same as well just the drying process has changed it slightly.

I noticed how much of a beast it was but it was fermented differently. The “M29” was fermented at lower temps and was “clean” just out of control fermented. 
I’d be very interested in the findings of that

To me it looks like John Morrison and Alex Cheapyeast are the same person, either that or their using the same computer or spell checker.

John Morrison  13/12/18 – “Righto I've riched to them

Alex Cheapyeast 8/2/20 – “I riches out to MJ rep

Some of Alex's yeast prices are not too bad i.e. the Safale stuff but rest is on a par with my local supplier.

Q: is it possible to harvest yeast from a batch that you have dry hopped?

Cheers - AL

12 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Id put my house on MJ French Saison being Belle Saison. 

i'll take your house then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

To me it looks like John Morrison and Alex Cheapyeast are the same person, either that or their using the same computer or spell checker.

Q: is it possible to harvest yeast from a batch that you have dry hopped?

Cheers - AL

Haha, conspiracy revealed 🙂 I'm not sure where John is from but for me English is not my first language and my grammar and spelling might be all over the place from time to time 🙂

Regarding your question, sure you can harvest yeast from a dry hopped batch, not ideal in my opinion but nothing really scary about it. Just make sure yeast is well settled before you add hops (CC first). And if you have a conical fermenter harvesting from the bottom is easy as.

Since we're on a yeasty-type topic....

Cracked a couple of ribs in mid January so the doc has put me on lifting limits, effectively meaning the max I can brew for the forseeable is 10 litres.

Question is......... can I just use half a pack (~5.8 g) of US-05 -- or any dry yeast for that matter -- re-seal the sachet, then stick it back in the fridge?

It seems a bit wasteful using a full pack (11.6 g) on a meagre 10 litres.

53 minutes ago, FusterCluck said:

Question is......... can I just use half a pack (~5.8 g) of US-05 -- or any dry yeast for that matter -- re-seal the sachet, then stick it back in the fridge?

In theory you can. You should be able to achieve an adequate pitching rate with half a sachet (given your OG is nothing crazy). But both Fermentis and Lallemand recommend to use the remaining half ASAP and no later than 7 days after you opened it. And that is if you properly resealed and stored yeast under 4 deg C. 

Personally, I'd use the whole sachet and just wash and re-use yeast.

35 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Gday @Alex CheapYeast

Im very interested in the Kveik strains

When do you think you may have these back in stock?

Cheers

Captain

Hi Captain,

I hope I'll have Lallemand's version of a dry Voss kveik in two weeks or so.

Myself and a few guys I trust are piloting Simonaitis farmhouse yeast that is not technically a Kveik as it is originated from Lithuania but it possesses lots of kveik's characteristics. I can send you a sample for free if you want to play with it but at this stage I am not holding a responsibility for the end result, hence not selling it to the public. If all goes well I'll start selling it in a month.

Unfortunately, farmhouse versions of Sigmund and Stalljen will not be available at least next two-three weeks.

5 hours ago, Alex CheapYeast said:

Hi Captain,

I hope I'll have Lallemand's version of a dry Voss kveik in two weeks or so.

Myself and a few guys I trust are piloting Simonaitis farmhouse yeast that is not technically a Kveik as it is originated from Lithuania but it possesses lots of kveik's characteristics. I can send you a sample for free if you want to play with it but at this stage I am not holding a responsibility for the end result, hence not selling it to the public. If all goes well I'll start selling it in a month.

Unfortunately, farmhouse versions of Sigmund and Stalljen will not be available at least next two-three weeks.

That sounds very interesting Alex. Id heard of these Lithuanian versions but didn’t know anyone had them in Australia. I’d be very happy to take a portion off your hands. 
I will definitely be getting some dry packs off you when they come back in stock.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

That sounds very interesting Alex. Id heard of these Lithuanian versions but didn’t know anyone had them in Australia. I’d be very happy to take a portion off your hands. 
I will definitely be getting some dry packs off you when they come back in stock.

No worries. Shoot me a PM or a message through my website with your Name and Address. Will send it out tomorrow or the first thing Friday morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex CheapYeast said:

No worries. Shoot me a PM or a message through my website with your Name and Address. Will send it out tomorrow or the first thing Friday morning.

BLOODY CHAMPION!!!!

On 2/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, The Captain!! said:

Gday @Alex CheapYeast

Im very interested in the Kveik strains

When do you think you may have these back in stock?

Cheers

Captain

Hi @The Captain!!,

Finally, the first commercial DRY kveik is available in Australia. And this is the Lallemand's version of the extremely popular Voss kveik. I've got the first batch available at https://cheapyeast.com.au/

And another good thing is that it is not that bloody expensive as liquid kveiks 😉

IMG_20200227_110945.jpg

Edited by Alex CheapYeast
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Alex CheapYeast said:

Hi @The Captain!!,

Finally, the first commercial DRY kveik is available in Australia. And this is the Lallemand's version of the extremely popular Voss kveik. I've got the first batch available at https://cheapyeast.com.au/

And another good thing is that it is not that bloody expensive as liquid kveiks 😉

IMG_20200227_110945.jpg

Did I miss out already? Just logged on to purchase and it’s sold out. ????

11 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Did I miss out already? Just logged on to purchase and it’s sold out. ????

I had 100 sachets, though they would last like a week or so. In less than two hours all gone 😳 Guys from Home Brewing Australia group bought all of it and asked for more. Maybe some ppl don't know yeast can be reused? 🤔😁

Anyway I put another order for a bigger batch. I hope I'll have it by Monday. I'll update it here when a new batch is available.

• Like 2