John Morrison

Has anyone bought from cheapyeast.com.au?

Hi, newbie here. Has anyone used cheapyeast.com.au to buy yeast? any good? Prices are way lower than my LHBS charges me and they say free delivery for seven items. Any catch?

I haven’t used them but they definitely cheap.

It might be worth a try. It will be interesting to see if it is fresh.

I've heard good things also and will give them a try next time I buy. Shame they only have Fermentis stuff.

• Thanks 1

Looks good, but. I really need to utilize my LHBS in my country town. Use it or loose it kind of thing. I get yeast cheap by harvesting and and using 3 or 4 generations anyway,  usually US-05.

Although, I would like to commando my Dry Hops more for that extra flavour/aroma, and I won't harvest after commando.  

Thanks for the source. I'll definitely be thinking about it.

Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to brewing,

Have a look at the Utube clip "reusing Yeast" by the King Rudd. Link in here if you dig abit.

About to place an order with Cheapyeast. Looks like a good deal & yeast.

Hoppy81 recommends them so that's good enough for me.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Buy yeast from anywhere. Harvest from the brew you use it on & re-use at least once on another brew = cheaper than cheapyeast.com.au.

Simples. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Righto I've riched to them through a contact form and asked about yeast freshness specifically about US05 and US04 that I'm interested in. Alex came back to me saying he would be surprised if I find fresher yeast of this brand anywhere in Australia. US05 BB date is September 2021 and US04 is March 2021. Sounds good to me. I've ordered seven of each. Will let you know how they perform.

And thanks for your help guys!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Buy yeast from anywhere. Harvest from the brew you use it on & re-use at least once on another brew = cheaper than cheapyeast.com.au.

Simples. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not that advanced yet to harvest it. But will definitely try it. 

4 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not that advanced yet to harvest it. But will definitely try it. 

After bottling/kegging your beer, it's not much harder than simply swirling the beer remaining in your fermenter to get the yeast back into suspension then pouring it through the fermenter tap into a sanitised jar or two. Then refrigerating until next required.

If a dummie like me can do it John, I'm sure you can. Don't ever be afraid to give it a try. Some folk make the whole procedure sound a lot more complicated than it actually is. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

After bottling/kegging your beer, it's not much harder than simply swirling the beer remaining in your fermenter to get the yeast back into suspension then pouring it through the fermenter tap into a sanitised jar or two. Then refrigerating until next required.

If a dummie like me can do it John, I'm sure you can. Don't ever be afraid to give it a try. Some folk make the whole procedure sound a lot more complicated than it actually is. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Haha 🙂 sounds easy enough, will give it a crack. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Stick them in the fridge when they arrive, keeps them viable for longer especially this time of year.

Yeah will do thanks. I read somewhere that dry yeast is not that sensitive to temperature and its quality stays the same even if it stored at room temperature for up to three weeks. Was not specified what is the room temperature. My bedroom by the end of the day can be like +35 haha

• Like 2

I have just ordered 7 packs, I needed that K97 German ale yeast to keen on with my Berliner Weisses, as I forgot to harvest before adding fruit and did not want to re-use it. It was less than $4 I think, great price. 

Hard to find such a range of Fermentis yeasts in the one place, and yeah great value. 

Seems lager yeast has skyrocketed in price, W34/70 used to be $6 at HBS's but now quite a bit more, some $9. I think around $6.84 at cheapyeast here, I grabbed one of those, some USO5, some WB-06, a belgian and some others. Alex likes addresses that you woudl post letters to, rather than company addresses that you would send a courier to, as they are shipped in those rigid packs you would send a CD in etc. 

Edited by headmaster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Yeah will do thanks. I read somewhere that dry yeast is not that sensitive to temperature and its quality stays the same even if it stored at room temperature for up to three weeks. Was not specified what is the room temperature. My bedroom by the end of the day can be like +35 haha

I've read that too, however I think getting into good habits is a good idea as it eliminates variables that could cause negative outcomes. Liquid yeast needs to be stored in the fridge if you go down that road one day. Just let it warm up to room temp before you pitch it or rehydrate it in water.

I actually did some viability testing a year or two ago with some dry yeast I'd had sitting in the fridge for about 5 years. At the time it was about 2 or 3 years past its best before date and I counted a viability of around 75% with it. I'm guessing if it had been sitting at room temp which would have varied between 35+ and 8 or 10 degrees depending on the time of year, that it wouldn't have been as high of a number. Still not game to use it in a brew though 😂

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I actually did some viability testing a year or two ago with some dry yeast I'd had sitting in the fridge for about 5 years. At the time it was about 2 or 3 years past its best before date and I counted a viability of around 75% with it.....Still not game to use it in a brew though 😂

Pussy! 🤣

Show some guts like Hairy did with his current brew. Throw it in a kit brew at a low volume. 😜

You've yet to brew a Saison, & this could end up being an unintentional Saison with plenty of funk. 😜

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

That's because I don't like saison 😂

I think I ended up throwing that packet into a boil as nutrient in the end. Either that or tipped it down the sink because I had to rehydrate it to do the testing. There's still a packet of Windsor in that fridge and possibly some old W34/70 as well. They'll probably all get used as nutrient if ever remember to grab them when I'm at the olds. Just because the cells are alive doesn't mean they're in great shape 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, headmaster said:

I have just ordered 7 pack.....

Did the same in terms of supporting this guy Alex. That about sorts my yeasts for a year given my adoption of reuse of yeast recently.

My LHBS is going to hell in a handbag.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's because I don't like saison 😂

Double Pussy! 🤣 ...Is there such a thing? 🤔

It's interesting & a little surprising to here you say that Kelsey given your liking for crisp, dry, spicy Pilsners. 😮

On 12/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I think I ended up throwing that packet into a boil as nutrient in the end....There's still a packet of Windsor in that fridge and possibly some old W34/70 as well. They'll probably all get used as nutrient if ever remember to grab them when I'm at the olds. Just because the cells are alive doesn't mean they're in great shape 😉

Yup, that's what I'd be doing with them too. 👍

A shame you're not really interested in Saison's as they are not as one dimensional as some would think.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

5 hours ago, headmaster said:

My 7 Saf yeasts arrived yesterday, packaged up very nicely. 🙂

Excellent News,

Waiting however reckon it will arrive real soon. Will post it up when package arrives.

Cheers

Brought off him a few weeks back. Got the delivery within 4 days. In a little cold package. Yeast has worked, it has made beer and it the beer is good.

Will be buying again but yes the variety is lacking

37 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

A shame you're not really interested in Saison's as they are not as one dimensional as some would think.

Definitely not one dimensional. My latest two are great IMHO.  Very easy to drink and are quite refreshing. 

@Otto Von Blotto would you like me to send you a couple?

Sorry lusty that come out wrong I think. 

I guess that I really don’t like lagers and it’s the complete opposite to OVB with regards to Saison. 

Edited by The Captain1525230099

For my next Saison I am planning on doing a smoked Saison. 

• Like 2