Coopers Community

LG Beer Bot

Beerlust

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Having an immersion chiller doesn't take away from the convenience of no chilling Lusty.

If you have 4hrs+ available to do an All-Grain brew day, what is an extra 20mins to cool the wort & pour it directly into a fermenter rather than a cube? Then pitch the yeast & get it up & fermenting.

I find the whole process of no-chilling a big waste of time & effort. It's certainly not a process I'll ever be faffing around with if I ever move to full AG.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I find the whole process of no-chilling a big waste of time & effort.

there is no effort. works for me very well. i can brew two when i have time and then ferment them when i have free fvs.

grain mills also do not need maintenance.

I find partial mash to be a massive waste of time,  you're already investing about the same time for an inferior result .

No chill is a handy tool,  no way I'd be gifting a wort kit made any other way. 

( I actually have no problem with kit / extract / PM brews,  But since we're laying opinions as if they're facts I thought I'd add a stoooopid one as well)  

34 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

I believe that's a submersion chiller

Good call.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

If you have 4hrs+ available to do an All-Grain brew day, what is an extra 20mins to cool the wort & pour it directly into a fermenter rather than a cube? Then pitch the yeast & get it up & fermenting.

I find the whole process of no-chilling a big waste of time & effort. It's certainly not a process I'll ever be faffing around with if I ever move to full AG.

Cheers,

Lusty.

In terms of time it's not much but what's the point in chilling the wort down if you don't have a fermenter free to receive it? 

Everyone's situation is different and you seem to forget that. I can only really brew on weekends in the working part of the year, and very rarely have a fermenter free on brew day because I don't time pitching and kegging to weekends exclusively. These things take minimal time so I can fit them in on my work breaks; the beer gets kegged when it's ready to be, not done early or late to fit into Friday or the weekend just to be able to use a chiller on brew day. As such, the next batch is usually pitched the following day and I do not have the time for a full brew day during the working week, nor would I even want to do one then. And now with getting a second fridge soon to double production it would be even worse. That's why no chilling in cubes works for me. It's far more convenient for me to cube the wort on a brew day and pitch the yeast later when the fermenter is free.

I do have to laugh about it though. Filling a cube and putting it somewhere is probably the quickest and easiest part of the brew day. It takes about 5 minutes and involves basically zero effort. You crack me up sometimes 😂😂

Well I guess that's what happens when you push a method as if it suits everyone the same way, and rubbish a valid one as a waste of time for everyone as well. 😜

No chilling was invented/re-popularised originally as a water saving thing. It just happens to be convenient as well depending on individual situations. I don't doubt quick chilling has its advantages but I see little point getting such a setup when it will hardly be used.

I use my CFC for most batches,  I also no chill quite a few. 

As far as water wastage I do run my coolant off into drums for use in cleaning so it's not completely wasted .

No chill realistically saves me about 40 mins on brewday,  that can be the difference between brewing after work or not. 

When I'm training up a newbie brewer I'll often start with BIAB and no chill,  less equipment needed,  less faffing about and one less item to clean 

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

No-chill in the kettle FTW! Saves water and no need for a cube. Just pop the lid on after the boil then pour into fermenter and pitch as soon as it's cooled down.

Can't throw it in the pool, give it away or leave it in a corner for weeks on end though.

That's pretty much why I haven't done it. If I had a fermenter free on a Sunday I may since my brew days are pretty well always on Saturdays, but usually I'm pitching in the middle of the week so a cube it is. 

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's pretty much why I haven't done it. If I had a fermenter free on a Sunday I may since my brew days are pretty well always on Saturdays, but usually I'm pitching in the middle of the week so a cube it is. 

Gday Otto, so letting your wort come to pitching temp in your FV is ok? I thought it was important to get your wort to pitching temp and pitch asap.

26 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Gday Otto, so letting your wort come to pitching temp in your FV is ok? I thought it was important to get your wort to pitching temp and pitch asap.

It is unless you're putting it in a cube, I'd be reluctant to do it in a fermenter though. What John is talking about is leaving it in the boil kettle until it drops low enough.  You can really only get away with that if you're pitching the next day, but even then, other than the reasons already mentioned, I prefer to seal it up in a cube to prevent shit getting in. 

I do a version of the kettle no chilling with my yeast starters though. I just boil the wort in an erlenmeyer flask then put a piece of foil over the top, let them cool down by themselves then pitch yeast when the temp is cool enough. 

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It is unless you're putting it in a cube, I'd be reluctant to do it in a fermenter though. What John is talking about is leaving it in the boil kettle until it drops low enough.  You can really only get away with that if you're pitching the next day, but even then, other than the reasons already mentioned, I prefer to seal it up in a cube to prevent shit getting in. 

I do a version of the kettle no chilling with my yeast starters though. I just boil the wort in an erlenmeyer flask then put a piece of foil over the top, let them cool down by themselves then pitch yeast when the temp is cool enough. 

So my boiler is my kettle right? mine has a hole in the lid so i dont think that its suitable, but if it didnt i could just leave wort to cool in my boiler?

53 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

i would not be doing that.

so you wouldn't leave it to cool in your kettle ben? whys that

The boiler is the kettle yes. I've seen photos of kettles used in this manner all collapsed in because the brewer tried sealing it up. The pressure drop inside as it cooled warped the kettle. 

Obviously it has been done with success,  however I have little interest in trying it. Less infection risk in a cube and it can be stored as short or long as you like. 

Archived