Coopers Community

Recommendations for Beers while in England

DonPolo

OK so I'm 5 days in and I should have posted before.

I have almost unlimited pubs and hundreds of breweries to sample beers from.

Any standouts I should try: pubs or packaged beers?

I'm currently in the Manchester region at the moment, one night in Gloucester then three in London.

BTW a lot of pints are GBP 2.75/3.50 which compares very favourably with Australia. I hear they get more expensive down south. I believe it is something to do with generally lower alcohol levels and lower taxes on the alcohol content anyway. Some of the popular beers are 3.5 - 4.0% and not considered session beers.

I'll have to research some of the ones I've tried so far. But some that come to mind:

Hobgoblin Gold on tap - 4.2% Pilgrim, Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Summit hops

Hobgoblin Black Wych in the bottle - 5.0% Challenger, Fuggles, Progress hops Black Crystal, Oats, Pale malts

Shipyard American IPA - 5.0% not sure of the hops but American

I must admit to have very quickly gotten used to the hand pumped cask ales.

Fullers is a brewery based in West London that own pubs all over the place, and as with most UK pubs, these become the retail point for their own beers, or smaller brands they owned. They're kind of the Coopers of the UK, only bigger. They make some top shelf brews like ESB and Vintage ales like 1845. 

Looking here, they fully embraced craft and seasonal brews as well. https://www.fullers.co.uk/beer/explore-our-beers

I last went to England 14 years ago so I can’t really add much (or remember much).

But I did enjoy hitting various pumps and trying their beers on the hand pump. Cask ales etc.

If you are travelling around you will find some good local offerings.

7 hours ago, DonPolo said:

Hobgoblin Gold on tap - 4.2% Pilgrim, Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Summit hops

Hobgoblin Black Wych in the bottle - 5.0% Challenger, Fuggles, Progress hops Black Crystal, Oats, Pale malts

Shipyard American IPA - 5.0% not sure of the hops but American

I must admit to have very quickly gotten used to the hand pumped cask ales.

I should have mentioned these three were very good. Got a Hop House 13 Lager from the Brewers Project in Dublin in the fridge. Apparently owned by Guiness.  650ml 5.0% GBP 2 at the local supermarket single buy. It's on tap in many of the places that I've visited. Blurb from the Irish Mirror 

Guinness say Hop House is "a distinctive golden lager". It is brewed with Guinness yeast, Irish barley and a mixture of hops from across the globe - Galaxy and Topaz from Australia and Mosaic from the USA.

Sound good? Guinness added: "It has a sweet fruity aroma, with hints of Apricot and Peach, and subtle malt notes breaking through.

Lastly in the pub there were these ‘single use kegs’ which they fill and then send back for recycling. The beer goes into the bag and the gas goes into the space around the bag. Not sure what the advantages are apart from weight. The guy behind the bar said something about them being good because it didn’t matter what sort of gas set up you had. This advice, of course, went right over MY head. 

287F6D19-604B-4474-BDFA-9DCE2CD95940.jpeg

8 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

I've never been to England but have tried a couple of hand pumped beers in town here. Are all their beers hand pumped or do u still get pubs with cold beer on tap like here using the glycol setup etc?

They mostly have pumped ales and normal taps for lager and cider. I think its funny that nearly ever pub has Fosters and you pretty much can’t find it in Australia. 

25 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

I think its funny that nearly ever pub has Fosters

*Who are these people keeping the manufacture of said beer going ? does this represent  beer lovers in Aus and abroad ? crikey , these nimbys need to own up to consuming this 'fosters drink' and ask for an upgrade such as Coopers.

*just kiddin, Guv

When I was last there it was during the ‘extra cold’ beer craze. You could get Guinness at normal temperature or extra cold Guinness at around 1 degree. They had a digital temperature display on the taps.

There was also extra cold Carling.

I gave them a miss.

Archived