Sign in to follow this  
grogdog

Cerveza Toucan questions

22 minutes ago, grogdog said:

@Norris! thats awesome cheers for that mate. So those 2 odd liter blocks melt fully in 10L 80C wort and bring you down to around 24C? one could just replicate this every time

Works great for me, I use a single 4l brick for my 11l batches.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it gets me close. Last brew I did add some chilled water and ice cubes for about 4 liters than it was just normal temp tap water. I love it, I stole the idea from King Ruddager.

Edited by Norris!

I always have some sanitised plastic bottles filled with water and chilled at least a day prior to doing any brew. If the wort gets too cold it's a lot easier to heat up with the kettle, than it is to cool it in a hurry without having sanitised cold water or ice at hand.

• Like 1

I just let it warm up by itself if it's a bit cool. Last batch of ale I pitched about 12 degrees because I left the cube in the fridge too long 😂 but it warmed up and fermentation kicked off as normal. Obviously a bit of a difference to mixing extract and water but either way it works, in summer at least. I wouldn't do that in winter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grogdog said:

is it bad to use star san on a container that id be making a yeast starter in? 

No. You need to be very sanitary with yeast starters.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Hairy.

So ive got 9L of chilled water and eight 1L containers to freeze, filled with sodium metabi treated water, my tap water is like pool water. Thanks muchly for the tips fellas.

IMG20181215112501.jpg

• Like 2

I want to keg hop this but i dont want the hops loose in the keg, would i just wrap them in a chux and drop it into the keg?

IMG20181216062438.jpg

Yup. Or get a $2 stainless steel tea ball that is big and it will hold 25g to 30g max. A chux is just as good and no cleaning afterwards.

• Thanks 1

After doing a few toucans it's got me considering doing a 3 can Cerveza and throwing a few hundred grams of hops at it🤔 maybe 2morrow.

5 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

After doing a few toucans it's got me considering doing a 3 can Cerveza and throwing a few hundred grams of hops at it🤔 maybe 2morrow.

Sounds wicked 

What  hops you gonna put in ?

Edited by ekymetal13

Gotta decide .. got Galaxy, mosaic, citra, continual, Saaz, ella, magnum, Amarillo and cascade. Might steep some crystal and do a flame out addition of 50-100g and dry of 100-150g

3 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Gotta decide .. got Galaxy, mosaic, citra, continual, Saaz, ella, magnum, Amarillo and cascade. Might steep some crystal and do a flame out addition of 50-100g and dry of 100-150g

Do you have a vacuum sealer for your hops?

3 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Be real keen to see how it turns out mate 

27 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Awesome 

You can get things that attach to the underside of the keg lid to hold keg hops, so they release their goodness and then effectively get removed from the beer as the keg empties. 

Either that or tie the chux to the lid somehow. 

Woah! A 3 can? The bitterness will surely blow your head off, won't it? Good luck with the brew, and if you survive i would love to hear how it tastes

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, Smashed Crabs said:

Nope

20181216_171119.jpg

This is genius! - Where do these bottles come from. Do you work in a lab?