Coopers Community

stuff up number 1...

worry wort

Ok, so trying to break into the 'adventure' side of homebrewing after decades of just making it straight out the can. Made a list of what I needed and we made the 55km trip to nearest home brew outlet/computer store (hb is a second string for income to him). As he didn't have EKG hops, he had goldings and said its a common substitute for ekg. got home and realised I now have 6 x 12g bags of finishing hops, which I don't think are what I was wanting. I've now gone on line and ordered truckloads of yeast, hops and adjuncts, thanks to the info by yeastboy, but what can I do with the finishing hops? what brews would the be best to drop these suckers into. I currently have a Spicy Brunette on the way but with the 2 tspoons of cinnamon I don't know if adding extra hops would be of benefit. 

I shouldn't be allowed out of the house.....

ww.

When the Spicy Brunette is ready to bottle you could bottle up half to three-quarters of it then chuck in a bag or two of the finishing hops for 3-4 more days then bottle it up just to taste the difference.

I do not know how it would go.  Would the hops obliterate the cinnamon?  Would the hops and cinnamon work well together?  I doubt it would taste horrible though.

I would think that although it says finishing hops, you could still use it at other stages.  I think the term "finishing" refers to the convenient tea bag thingy they come in

Cheers Shamus

The name “finishing hops” bewilders me a little. 

Good luck with your venture into the adventure side of brewing, I guess next time  your out of the house you’ll be picking up a brand new 3v 1 barrel system for your new brew shed. 

Hope your next brew is an eye opener!!!!

Archived