YeastyBoy

Unreal Ale Recipe Tweak

Planned to kick off an Unreal Ale. Never brewed one so was planning on following the Coopers Recipe to start with however......

Just realised I have run out of Dextrose straight and do not fancy a run into town until next week. Recipe calls for BR1 which is 600g Dext & 400g MaltDext & 500g LME.

Have a Box of Coopers Brewing Sugars which is 800g Dext & 200g Maltdext if I remember correctly. Hence Thinking of using this box and adding another 200g of Malt Dext & the 500g LME. Plus using US05.

Guess it will up the ABV a tad however should stay fairly close to the recipe.

Anyone brewed it this way or have some thoughts on taking this approach?

I would leave out the extra 200g maltodextrin and run with that. But that’s because I never liked more than 200g of it in a batch. (My preference was 0%).

If you like BE1 then perhaps run with your plan.

• Like 1

Hi Yeasty

Your proposal sounds good if you want to get pretty close to what the Unreal Ale recipe intended.  There's always an however though.  However, folks seem to have drifted away from BE1, perhaps because, as indicated by His Hairiness, of how much Maltodex is in it.  I also suspect that around the time BE1 was around maybe Coopers did not have BE2 or BE3.  I have not been brewing for that long and do not know the history.

I did an Unreal Ale back in October.  (another however)  However, although I did use 1kg BE1, I chucked in 500g of LDM and did a hot steep of 200g of Light Crystal Malt Grains.  Also used Coopers Commercial Yeast I had harvested from a previous brew.

Probably enough of a variation to technically not call it Unreal Ale.  I still reckon that for a Kit & Kilo type of recipe it is pretty unreal.  Certainly better than the Real Ale can using recommended ingredients only.

Do not be reluctant to drift away from the specific recipes.  Although it does not sound like you are reluctant.  I have not reached the stage where I vary from a recipe because I am trying to specifically achieve something a bit different.  I just use some of what I have learnt on this Forum and my own experimentation to try different things, without really know what I am trying to achieve.  For example the use of grains above was about trying to get better head retention.  Then I read on another thread in this forum that other grains are better for head retention.  So may variables with so fewer ingredients.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

Thanks Hairy & Shamus,

Your guidance has been invaluable. Will drop the extra MaltDext, run with the 500g of LME and try steeping in my next Unreal Ale. Bit of a hike into town to get extra stuff so have to defer.

Ditto, fairly novice myself so trying not to make to all of the brewing mistakes and appreciate the input from the Forum.

Cheers