Coopers Community

Kit Saison (with fruit)

RepSpec

Hey guys

So the sour has gone on the back burner for a while, but have decided on a Saison as my next brew, after drinking a few of "bridge road Chevalier Saison"

However after looking at the coopers one, its probably a bit darker than id like (compared to the other one) but im open to suggestions.

Also would like to possibly add some berries to add a bit of sour/freshness to it.

After reading on here, ive come to this recipe, but again...ive very open to suggestions.

• 1 × Australian Pale Ale (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Coopers Light Dry Malt (500g)
  • 1 x 25g saaz (maybe)
  • 1 × 11g Lallemand Belle Saison Dry Yeast

Then add up to 1kg of frozen berries as a "dry hop" in some hop bags.

Questions...

-about the berries...unfreeze them, or throw them in frozen?

-cold crash after a few days with the berries in dry hop

-could it do without the Saaz?

thanks guys

You could, but given you're planning on throwing in a kilo of berries I'm not sure of the real advantage as the skin contact with the berries will throw a hue into the beer colour anyway unless you are using a light skin coloured berry?

The following might give you some ideas...

Coopers DIY recipe: Blushing Blonde 

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Good idea Repsec, 

Not sure what berries your using just stay away from strawberries as you’ll need about 75kg to impart anything on your beer. 

Belle yeast is a beast. Don’t put your fingers in the fermenting beer as you’ll probably loose a digit in the experience. Ha ha ha

Was just going to use rasberries i reckon captain...keep it simple the first time. Had the guys on whirlpool suggest lactose to balance it...il try this way first and if its too tart...il try different ways.

Mmm beer-experimenting

in order to balance out some of the tartness used given off by the berries was his response. My first time using fruit...so who knows

So going by the "blushing blonde" recipe it suggests to add the berries after only 1 day? Is this how you would do it, or would a "dry hop" still get the same results? As in taste, flavour etc

Will adding them early affect the brew? Ive read most people put it in after fermentation?

I wouldn’t add lactose either, I think Saison’s are meant to be a little tart, chrisp and refreshing. 

Also I would add the raspberries, day 1 taste a sample, give it another day and taste, see if it’s what you want, then pull them out. A day might add some colour but I’d think more like a few days to impart flavour 

• 3 weeks later...

So put this down yesterday minus the saaz...didn't want anything conflicting with the raspberries. Had a look this morning...would have loved to seen the activity over night...it's already foamed up...doesn't seem to be rolling anymore...could it already be done? Not gonna test it just yet lol

So just did a quick check of the gravity...and it's around 1020...

Should it have done more by now or am I expecting too much of the yeast? Smells like a Saison...I think I'm just getting impatient with it lol

so i was a bit pushy on this one...tested today (1 week) and its around 1008.

Next is to add the berries..ive got 2 hop sacks, so going to seperate them into the both bags and put them in...

Now put them in frozen, or thawed out a bit.

Then leave them in for a few days...then CC for the rest of the week and bottle on the weekend (as its seems really cloudy and gunky compared to other brews)

Should i leave the berries in while CC or take them out?

Hi Guys ,

what if i use :

1 × Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat (1.7kg)

1 × Coopers Light Dry Malt (500g)

5 Bananas into a back of 23 L 

Do you think it will give good taste ? more alcohol because of the sugar inside the bananas ?

Regards.

You could probably get a banana flavour by fermenting it at the appropriate temp to get the yeast to throw that flavour. Somewhere in the mid 20s but I stand corrected on that. 

Wheat beer ain't my thing and banana flavours I hate even more in beer, so that's something I keep out rather than try to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bottled this...wow...already want to start drinking it. Tried a sample because it smelled so great. Great tart, raspberry flavour. The a hit of the yeast flavour, not too funky though (brew temp 21) but still good. 

Great red colour to it as well...hope it ages well...is it 2 weeks yet???

5 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Just bottled this...wow...already want to start drinking it. Tried a sample because it smelled so great. Great tart, raspberry flavour. The a hit of the yeast flavour, not too funky though (brew temp 21) but still good. 

Great red colour to it as well...hope it ages well...is it 2 weeks yet???

Looking forward to your tasting notes and a photo of this bad boy in 13 days ha ha ha

Archived