Coopers Community

chasing a simple spicy fruity lager/draught recipe

Hi, I am moving over from just the canned variety to a more 'adventurous' style of brewing. I have a few simple recipes for a tastier dark brew, but is there recipe for a spicy and fruity beer using the draught/lager canned beers? Im keen to learn how to use the hops, yeast and other bits, but being old and slow need to start off with simple shit and work up.

cheers

WW.

Hi Worry Wort.

As a base for what you have asked for, I would start with the following base recipe & try a few different hops with it to see what you like.

Coopers DIY Recipe: Fresh Draught

For something with a little bit of spice as well as having a fruity element, you could sub the Cascade used in the recipe for hops such as Hallertau or Cluster.

Note: Just be aware of the lower ferment temps required to ferment lager yeast brews. 😉

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Worry Wort,

Using the recipe spreadsheet I have found 19 recipes that use ingredients other than malt, hops and common brewing sugars on the Coopers Recipe database.
7 of those use hop additions and if I am reading you right  you aren't ready to go there yet (I'll try to convince you otherwise later).   
Of the 12 remaining one uses additional grains, and four more use yeast other than the provided kit yeast, so I have excluded them.

That leaves 7 recipes in the database that use fruit or other 'non standard sugars' and all but one are rated 'Easy'

Recipe name
Style Alc/v colour IBU Vol Difficulty Base extract kit Fermentables1 Fermentable2 Yeast 1
Blushing Blonde Ale 4.4 30 25 23 Easy Canadian Blonde BE1 500g Frozen berries kit
Extra Smooth Bitter Ale 4.1 35 37 23 Easy English Bitter BE1 Molasses kit
Irish Ale Ale 4.1 11 27 21 Easy Draught BE1 Golden Syrup kit
Pumpkin Rising  Dark Ale 6.8 60 40 8.5 Intermediate Bewitched Amber Pumpkin Puree Demerara Sugar, Ground Ginger, Ground Cinamon, Ground All Spice, Ground Cloves Kit
Spicy Brunette Amber Ale 4.5 48 32 22 Easy Dark Ale BE2 Cinnamon kit
Strawberry Blonde Ale 4.6 6 25 23 Easy Canadian Blonde BE1 Strawberry Clover Honey kit
Wicked Winter Warmer Dark Ale 6.5 109 63 8.5 Easy Winter Dark Ale SmoothUHME Samuel Willard's Qld Dark Rum Spirit Essence kit

Note : SmoothUHME stands for Smooth Unhopped Malt Extract which can be bought from the store on this site.  

If you click on the recipe name it will take you the recipe page.

The list would be larger if you were prepared to visit a Local Home Brew Shop (or go online) and buy some different yeast and explore some hopping.  While there is a tendency to use jargon that can be off putting to the new brewer hopping is generally a simple process that is no harder than making a cup of tea (and in some cases is exactly like making a cup of tea).  

The four others that use yeast other than that provided on the can are :

Recipe name
Style Alc/v colour IBU Vol Difficulty Base extract kit Fermentables1 Fermentable2 Yeast 1
Beekeeper Ale 5.1 9 20 23 Easy Hefe Wheat LDM  Blue Gum Honey Munich
Cleopatra's Asp Amber Ale 7.5 56 42 8.5 Easy Bewitched Amber GoldenUHME Palm Sugar, Honey, Ginger, Cardomon,Cayenne pepper S-33
Julebyrg Amber Ale 6.0 36 23 20 Intermediate Lager TCAME Brown Sugar, Star Anise, Coriander seed, Vanilla bean,  S-33
Lemon Zest Weizen Ale 4.7 7 21 22 Easy Hefe Wheat BE3 Lemon Myrtle WB-06

Any good LHBS should stock them.

Happy brewing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, James of Bayswater said:

Worry Wort,

Using the recipe spreadsheet I have found 19 recipes that use ingredients other than malt, hops and common brewing sugars on the Coopers Recipe database.
7 of those use hop additions and if I am reading you right  you aren't ready to go there yet (I'll try to convince you otherwise later).   
Of the 12 remaining one uses additional grains, and four more use yeast other than the provided kit yeast, so I have excluded them.

That leaves 7 recipes in the database that use fruit or other 'non standard sugars' and all but one are rated 'Easy'

Recipe name
Blushing Blonde Ale 4.4 30 25 23 Easy Canadian Blonde BE1 500g Frozen berries kit
Extra Smooth Bitter Ale 4.1 35 37 23 Easy English Bitter BE1 Molasses kit
Irish Ale Ale 4.1 11 27 21 Easy Draught BE1 Golden Syrup kit
Pumpkin Rising  Dark Ale 6.8 60 40 8.5 Intermediate Bewitched Amber Pumpkin Puree Demerara Sugar, Ground Ginger, Ground Cinamon, Ground All Spice, Ground Cloves Kit
Spicy Brunette Amber Ale 4.5 48 32 22 Easy Dark Ale BE2 Cinnamon kit
Strawberry Blonde Ale 4.6 6 25 23 Easy Canadian Blonde BE1 Strawberry Clover Honey kit
Wicked Winter Warmer Dark Ale 6.5 109 63 8.5 Easy Winter Dark Ale SmoothUHME Samuel Willard's Qld Dark Rum Spirit Essence kit

Note : SmoothUHME stands for Smooth Unhopped Malt Extract which can be bought from the store on this site.  

If you click on the recipe name it will take you the recipe page.

The list would be larger if you were prepared to visit a Local Home Brew Shop (or go online) and buy some different yeast and explore some hopping.  While there is a tendency to use jargon that can be off putting to the new brewer hopping is generally a simple process that is no harder than making a cup of tea (and in some cases is exactly like making a cup of tea).  

The four others that use yeast other than that provided on the can are :

Recipe name
Beekeeper Ale 5.1 9 20 23 Easy Hefe Wheat LDM  Blue Gum Honey Munich
Cleopatra's Asp Amber Ale 7.5 56 42 8.5 Easy Bewitched Amber GoldenUHME Palm Sugar, Honey, Ginger, Cardomon,Cayenne pepper S-33
Julebyrg Amber Ale 6.0 36 23 20 Intermediate Lager TCAME Brown Sugar, Star Anise, Coriander seed, Vanilla bean,  S-33
Lemon Zest Weizen Ale 4.7 7 21 22 Easy Hefe Wheat BE3 Lemon Myrtle WB-06

Any good LHBS should stock them.

Happy brewing. 

What's this Recipe Spreadsheet you speak of???? 

The latest version is attached.  

It is simply the Cooper's recipe database broken down by styles, kits, characteristics and ingredients.  It is searchable using the auto filters (the arrows at the top of the columns).

The latest version corrects some spelling mistakes and dud entries that were messing with the filters.

Coopers Recipes v1.1.xlsx

Archived