Coopers Community

Vienna Lager

To continue with my new-ish rule about always having a lager on tap I thought I would plan my next brew. 

After the Bohemian Pilsner and Schwarzbier next up will be a Vienna Lager. 

There are so many different styles and different recipes out there so I thought I would ask my fellow Cooper’s forum experts for a simple, tasty all grain recipe. 

Thanks, BB

8 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I like to ignore the modern versions and take the style back to its roots.

100% Vienna malt, 30 IBU of a bittering addition (I aimed for 25 and it needed a touch more bitterness to balance), and a nice malt-forward yeast (I like Wyeast 2206 or 2308).

Cheers,

John

I was thinking about 100%. I have never used Vienna in over 2 years of AG brewing so it will be a good chance to taste it properly. Thanks

You'll have a hard time getting enough colour with 100 % Vienna , I use 49.8:49.8:SFA Vienna / Munich with carafa II just to adjust colour. 

No crystal malt,  just top quality and fresh German ingredients,  I like tettnanger for bittering and 2206 

I also use a decoction mash , I find smoother , deeper malt character and excellent head retention 

Target 1.050 OG 

28 ibu and try to think like a German when you brew 

Why worry about the colour Mark? Unless I suppose you're targeting the BJCP version of Vienna lager, which is a different beast to what I was talking about. I wish I could find the website that guided mine a couple of years back, it had some great info on it. I basically searched 'traditional Vienna lager' and hunted through pages and pages of links. 

Cheers, 

John

13 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

You taste a beer with your eyes first John,  our brains are wired that way.

It's not fair but it happens 

Try tasting a beer with your eyes shut. It heightens the other senses. It'll also help you to be more impartial with your BJCP judging. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Try tasting a beer with your eyes shut. It heightens the other senses. It'll also help you to be more impartial with your BJCP judging. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

The same as wine the flavour and aroma portion of assessment is often done with eyes closed. 

Colour/ appearance  is only worth 3 points in judging so not that big a deal unless it makes the difference between placing or not .

Are you implying I'm not impartial Hmmmmm?  There were a few beers I gave scores below 20 but they deserved it 😀 

Here are a couple of Vienna Lager recipes out of some books I have:

4.25kg Vienna

750g Munich

28g Chocolate

30g Hersbrucker  @60min

30g Hersbrucker @ Flame Out

The second one is:

4.15kg Vienna

670g Munich

125g Melanoidin

50g Chocolate

30g Northern Brewer @75mins

15g Hersbrucker @ Flame Out

15g Tettnang @ Flame Out

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I ordered my ingredients for this brew. I went with 100% Vienna malt and I haven’t used Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops so I thought I was give those a crack. 

I totally forgot that the kids start school holidays this week so I’ll be brewing with them running around the yard. 

BB

Archived