Sign in to follow this  
Hairy

Tom Selleck IPA

1 hour ago, Mark D Pirate said:

You'd have mastered that by now 😜🤐

Not for a Magnum beer I haven't. 😉

I opened the canister 2nite to get a whiff .. aroma isn't bad but interesting to see how it pans out as a flavoring and aroma hop. Worse case scenario I use it for bittering.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I opened the canister 2nite to get a whiff .. aroma isn't bad but interesting to see how it pans out as a flavoring and aroma hop. Worse case scenario I use it for bittering.

Most of us who do use it use it just for bittering. I'm interested to see how this beer of Hairy's turns out and got one planned next year as well.

14 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Just for sh!ts and giggles I’ve added what BeerSmith says about magnum hop.

Aroma: Good aroma and stable spicy flavour.

FF9D7013-02D1-4B03-9D45-6F9B6466F98A.png

Yes Germany, widely renowned for it's hoppy, aromatic beer styles........NOT!

Thanks for the giggle Capt. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

Just to follow on from that, is your beer a German IPA Hairy? If so, you might be OK? 😜

Maybe this Mexican/German IPA thing could take off? 🤔

Errr......No.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

On 12/7/2018 at 10:38 AM, Ben 10 said:

I made a german ipa recently, it was very good.

Have you got the recipe link? I wouldn't mind having a squiz.

Cheers,

Lusty.

hmmm, not as german as i thought but oh well...

Recipe: German IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 27.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 71.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        

3.13 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   2          -             -             
2.71 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   3          -             -             
2.35 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   4          -             -             
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         5          66.7 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                           Grain         6          16.7 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         7          8.3 %         0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         8          8.3 %         0.33 L        
40.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           9          32.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Aramis [5.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           10         8.0 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           11         22.7 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop           12         8.6 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]       Yeast         13         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2018 at 12:08 PM, Ben 10 said:

hmmm, not as german as i thought but oh well...

It's certainly got some German influences Ben.

But now I know why it actually tasted pretty good......no Magnum! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

This was made today. LHBS was out of Caramunich I so I subbed in light crystal.

I also had 60g Magnum left so upped the additions to:

25g @ flame out

35g Dry hop

OMG, the smell of the flame out hop addition was amazing. Mrs Hairy said:

”Mr Hairy, what is that wonderful smell? It smells like a handsome, moustachioed private investigator in the Hawaiian sun”.

I said “Damn straight it does. That is 100% fresh, Tom Selleck inspired Magnum hops”.

• Haha 7

Awww shucks, if I'm going to be completely objective here about this beer, I'd have to mention the following against my better judgement & personal beliefs...

Our Ol' mate Philbo_Baggins who recently re-appeared, then disappeared again 🤔 mentioned a Magnum forward beer he had sampled over at BrewBoys (here in SA) a few years ago. I can't remember the complete configuration or style (maybe a Pale Ale or IPA?), but he was quite impressed with it.

That said, I never had the opportunity of sampling it, & Philbo has a liking for English styled ales.

I don't see it on their current drinks list either.  I wonder why? 😜

Honesty is the best policy. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

20 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Sounds like you're warming to the idea Lusty. 

I think you're sounding way too ambitious there John. 😜

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

The Tom Selleck IPA is in the keg.

The sample I took when dry hopping tasted a bit musty and woody and I was a bit unsure of the final result. But the taste at kegging was surprisingly pleasant. It is quite florally now with a slight fruitiness but I think that may be from the residual sweetness of the extract.

It is never going to be the go-to hop for flavour and aroma but so far the experiment has been worthwhile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...It is never going to be the go-to hop for flavour and aroma but so far the experiment has been worthwhile.

Someone other than me please remember that statement. 

All shite aside, I'm glad it appears to have turned out OK Hairy.

Philbo would be proud. 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.