Coopers Community

Temp control....gizmos and gadgets.

MitchBastard

14 hours ago, Beerlust said:

If wishing to control fermentation temperatures of two separate FV's of different sizes I wouldn't advise doing this in the one fridge at the same time or at different times while containing the two in the fridge throughout this period. If you dangle the probe openly you have no idea what temperature each wort in the two separate fermenters is at during primary fermentation. If you adhere the probe to one of the fermenters, you have no idea what is happening in the other regardless of size or placement in your fridge, & even if you attached a basic temp monitoring probe to the FV not attached to the controller, what are you gonna be able to do to correct the difference in temp? 🤔

Once a brew has fermented out & stabilized at a FG you can place it out at ambient temps no worries until ready to bottle/keg etc. That does allow you to slip a new ale batch in approx. every week if need be. If I was going to bother getting a full sized fridge large enough to house 2 FV's on shelves, I'd just remove the shelves & ferment in a larger 40-60 litre fermenter. 😉

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Yes I figured this will be a bit of an issue but also figured, the temperature difference would be rather small and not a major concern. Mainly because temperature fluctuations are part of the deal anyway, and there will never really be a 100% stable temperature. But I ask questions, to get answers because if I knew everything, I wouldn't ask 🙂 So 2 fermenters in the same fridge isn't a good idea.

Just checking on your suggestion to move a FV into ambient temperature. once fermentation has ceased. I usually keep my beer in the fermenter for two weeks. Mainly because I can only really do things on weekends. Usually, fermentation isn't quite finished after a week, so I give it all the extra time. I was always under the impression that while in the fermenter, temperature is always important because the yeast is still present and active and can still produce off flavours even after fermentation. Learnt something else I guess 🙂

Thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Aussiekraut.

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes I figured this will be a bit of an issue but also figured, the temperature difference would be rather small and not a major concern.

The problem with having a large fermenter & a small fermenter is the different rate at which the two different volumes will cool. The smaller volume will reach a target temperature before the larger volume will & by some margin I would think.

24 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

...Mainly because temperature fluctuations are part of the deal anyway, and there will never really be a 100% stable temperature.

I run my temp controller with a 0.2°C temp increase allowance before the controller turns on the fridge again. That's as far as it fluctuates through primary fermentation.

30 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

...Just checking on your suggestion to move a FV into ambient temperature. once fermentation has ceased. I usually keep my beer in the fermenter for two weeks. Mainly because I can only really do things on weekends. Usually, fermentation isn't quite finished after a week, so I give it all the extra time. I was always under the impression that while in the fermenter, temperature is always important because the yeast is still present and active and can still produce off flavours even after fermentation. Learnt something else I guess 🙂

Thanks for the clarification.

The first 3-4 days of noticeable active fermentation are the most crucial as the flavours from the yeast are said to be imparted into the beer. To be on the safe side, 6-7 days for an ale brew is often sufficient. After that point the yeast are usually just cleaning up off flavours produced during the initial active part of fermentation & clearing the beer so placing your fermenter in a warmer environment (outside a temp controlled fridge) is not going affect the final flavours of the beer. If anything the slightly warmer environment will assist the yeast in completing this phase more quickly.

A few years ago when I was really pumping brews, I successfully brewed 48 separate beers in a calendar year using this method.

The other 4 weeks of that year I allowed myself some holidays! 😁 😉

Cheers & best of luck with your future brewing,

Lusty.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, Aussiekraut said:

I'm not quite ready for this but thinking about it. The main issue is convincing the better half that we really need another fridge 😀

Just get one. Forgiveness is easier sought than permission. 

You can base the argument on the fact that it will use minimal power, as it will only turn on a couple times a day at best, for only a few minutes so it won't cost anything to run.

3 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

You can base the argument on the fact that it will use minimal power, as it will only turn on a couple times a day at best, for only a few minutes so it won't cost anything to run.

With you K, always easier to seek forgiveness.

13 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Yeah I know. I carefully knocked on the door about this and while I heard a "we already have 3 fridges", the tune changed to a "The fridge in the kitchen shits me. it's too small. Maybe we get a new for the kitchen and you can use the old one". So I'm a little upbeat but it may not happen until July or so.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:48 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Another thing I do is tape the probe to the side of the fermenter underneath some packing foam. I know it's not quite like it being in the brew itself but it's still far more accurate than just dangling it in the fridge. A guy did some tests on this on another forum and it was pretty much the same as the probe being in the brew so I'm happy with it. 

The temp doesn't move when I open the fridge doing this either unless I leave it open for a while. 

I’m in the process of converting old fridge to fermenter. Got the inkbird, also a thermowell to sit in the brew, have you or anyone used one of these?

Also to heat I bought a thermo wrap, just wondering if best to wrap round the fermenter or tape to fridge inside where the fermenter will sit. Lots of discussions and different heating methods on the internet regarding this.

as to the fridge, as I am not hard wiring the internal thermostat and just letting the inkbird take control, do I set the fridge dial to the min or max setting?

I haven't used a thermowell, haven't felt the need to. In terms of how to program the inkbird though, it would be the same as the probe taped to the fermenter. 

I have little experience with heating as I rarely need it. All I ever do when I need heat is fill an Erlenmeyer flask with water, boil it and stick it in there (covered).

My fridge is set to its coldest setting. Doesn't make any difference at fermentation temp but does allow a colder cold crash. 

Thanks for that. The flask sounds good, haven’t come across that one before.

i also am going to start to rack and believe this is done at the end of fermentation. Was also gong to cold crash at this point for 24-48 hours prior to bottling and conditioning. Lots of info on this as to when, length of time etc, so I will be giving this a trial

On 2/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, Beerlust said:

A few years ago when I was really pumping brews, I successfully brewed 48 separate beers in a calendar year using this method.

That is a huge amount of beer ... either you have a great deal of friends ... and understandably so if you have great beer at home 24/7 and if it is on tap even better ....or you have a wonderful hobby .... see what I did there you thought i was going to say drinking problem  ... 

On 2/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, Beerlust said:

I'd just remove the shelves & ferment in a larger 40-60 litre fermenter. 😉

need to be very careful with this.. those bastards are heavy so need to be able to lift it into fridge and remove it .... I have one and am making a platform for it to sit on so i can fill it in the fridge and then bottle directly from there  ... however, i am a huge fan of the double batch 46 litre brew ...  would be pretty tough if it was in a chest freezer ... now even though I am a fairly strong guy dead lifting 46kgs from a chest freezer all arms while leaning over the freezer screams crook back to me ... but i am only 5'6" 

49 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

That is a huge amount of beer ... either you have a great deal of friends ... and understandably so if you have great beer at home 24/7 and if it is on tap even better ....or you have a wonderful hobby .... see what I did there you thought i was going to say drinking problem  ... 

I wish I could say I palmed a good portion of it off, but the majority I consumed myself. I did do a handful of brews for my father & a couple of friends that year, but mostly they were for me. I made a concerted effort not to buy commercial beer for a few years there & save money, & that year was my most successful & cost effective year ever.

Cheers,

Lusty. 

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I wish I could say I palmed a good portion of it off, but the majority I consumed myself. I did do a handful of brews for my father & a couple of friends that year, but mostly they were for me. I made a concerted effort not to buy commercial beer for a few years there & save money, & that year was my most successful & cost effective year ever.

Cheers,

Lusty. 

Not a bad effort to get through a kilolitre of beer in a year Lusty!

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Unless you are lagering the beer for a period of time I don't think there is any real benefit to racking the beer. I would also cold crash it for at least a few days. Normally I do a week unless I get lazy, then it's longer. It will take at least 24 hours just to drop in temp. 

Thank you, I will skip the racking, now that I have 2 brew buckets I will turn round my batches quicker, 1 out and 1 in

Just beginning the journey with temperature control and have bought a Mangrove Jack"s Dual Temp Controller with two outlets. The instructions are very vague (only how to set a cooling temperature)  but the digital component is a STC 1000. There are no instructions on how to switch from cooling to heating, or whether you have to have both a cooling device and a heating device connected at the same time so it can work. Living in QLD I will mainly need it for cooling. Any advice on operating the unit would be appreciated.

Hi BrewBilly, I think most of the controllers work much the same, if doing an ale set the controller to 18deg, as OVB says, you won't need a heater in QLD, set the variance to 0.3, in other words the controller will turn the fridge on when the temp. hits 18.3. If the temp goes below 18 you may see the heater light come on, just ignore it, tape the probe to the FV under a piece of foam or as I do a cut down stubbie cooler, set your fridge temp too max, good to go

John

18 minutes ago, BrewBilly said:

Thanks JOHN304,  very poor set of instructions with the Mangrove Jack"s Dual Temperature Controller.

They are with all of them. Built in china they tend to keep instructions to the minimum.

Archived