Coopers Community

Temp control....gizmos and gadgets.

MitchBastard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grab a secondhand fridge off Gumtree, and like YEASTYBOY says, an Inkbird temp controller from Ebay.

Easy set up instructions come with the Inkbird or you can watch how on Youtube.

There's a heap of stuff about it all on this forum too.

1 hour ago, YeastyBoy said:

Hearing you MB. I have just dug the old fridge out of the farm shed, purchased a Inkbird ITC 308 which is a fairly simple plug and play system from flea bay. Was only $40 when I brought one a day ago now $50 go figure?

Gimme a week & I will let you know how I went!!

Thanks mate, just had a squiz, looks simple enough.

just curious....do these work only with fridges? I’ve got a stand alone freezer in the garage I’d need to sell before investing in a fridge.....wondering if you could do the same but with a freezer?

might it over work the freezer??

Yeah that would be the goods.

Go the chest freezer with the Inkbird would work for the reasons above. My chest freezer is full of my Xmas Porkers.

On the cost of power, the variable cost is bugger all as the electricity monopoly here screws us on fixed charges so a flaky fridge does not cost much more to run than a 5 star fridge. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Hearing you MB. I have just dug the old fridge out of the farm shed, purchased a Inkbird ITC 308 which is a fairly simple plug and play system from flea bay. Was only $40 when I brought one a day ago now $50 go figure?

Gimme a week & I will let you know how I went!!

Just purchased me an ink bird 👍🏻

I have two old chest freezers that I converted, one to a brew cabinet and one to a cheese cave. Yes, I also make my own cheeses, and yes it’s important to remember not to store the cheese near the brewing chest, brevibacterium linens in the beer is a bad look and worse taste.

Both freezers are barely running when in use because the insulation is so good, I estimate maybe a handful of dollars a year in running cost.

The advantage of a chest freezer is that even on the hottest days the temperature barely changes when I open them to check on the brews.

Another thing I do is tape the probe to the side of the fermenter underneath some packing foam. I know it's not quite like it being in the brew itself but it's still far more accurate than just dangling it in the fridge. A guy did some tests on this on another forum and it was pretty much the same as the probe being in the brew so I'm happy with it. 

The temp doesn't move when I open the fridge doing this either unless I leave it open for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

FV Fridge test. All good. The Inkbird is so easy to use, set up.

Possum was not happy its home was removed from the farm shed to the house shed. Smells a tad better & it works!!

Think I have the how to attach the sensor to the FV, thanks OVB.

IMG_0720.thumb.JPG.fc5a170e86a782a0957763b5ac94bffe.JPG

I’ve just kicked off my first ferment using the inkbird. Bloody good piece of gear so far. 

17 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I’ve just kicked off my first ferment using the inkbird. Bloody good piece of gear so far. 

I would agree & my seals are doing well considering.

Just started my Unreal Ale, Day 2 & been struggling to get it to 18c so in she goes. Pic at the start of the cooling to 18c (19.5), FV is there at 18c in about an hour or two so happy days.

Set up the whole deal, enjoying this temp control without the hassle factor. 

What have you gone with for your heating & cooling differentials? I have dialed in 0.5c & yet to set the alarms.

Cheers

Pic to show the rural set up (thank someone for duct tape!!)

FridgeVRealalebrew.thumb.JPG.817b427be0ce9fdd7e12414fd05e0ab9.JPG

38 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

I would agree & my seals are doing well considering.

Just started my Unreal Ale, Day 2 & been struggling to get it to 18c so in she goes. Pic at the start of the cooling to 18c (19.5), FV is there at 18c in about an hour or two so happy days.

Set up the whole deal, enjoying this temp control without the hassle factor. 

What have you gone with for your heating & cooling differentials? I have dialed in 0.5c & yet to set the alarms.

Cheers

Pic to show the rural set up (thank someone for duct tape!!)

FridgeVRealalebrew.thumb.JPG.817b427be0ce9fdd7e12414fd05e0ab9.JPG

Nice. Im using an actual stand alone freezer to store my FVs during ferment. Ive got the CD and HD set at .5 and the PT set at 10. Its fairly tight in terms of fitting my FV in there. Fits the Craft size in easily but only just for the full size which I dont think is a bad thing as it gets to temp super quick and holds it there as I guess a freezer insulation is pretty good. 🙂

Yep if you've got the probe against the fermenter then the differential can be set quite low. I use 0.3 on mine as that's as low as it goes. Liquid doesn't change temp that quickly so the fridge and subsequently the compressor doesn't come on that much. Less than when it's just used like a normal fridge.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yep if you've got the probe against the fermenter then the differential can be set quite low. I use 0.3 on mine as that's as low as it goes. Liquid doesn't change temp that quickly so the fridge and subsequently the compressor doesn't come on that much. Less than when it's just used like a normal fridge.

Yeap temp fluctuations are slow. Think the brew has moved .1c in 5 hours. Warmish day here & tin shed so a good result.

You have set your PT = 0 or some other value?

I left it at default being 3 minutes.

Archived