Coopers Community

Temperature

Mt brew

Hi everyone 

just have a question if someone can help me. I started a brew kit yesterday. Live in the blue Mountains and temperature is always changing.  I started with temperature at 24 degrees all good but during the night the Temperature drop to 18 deg.  If I don’t have a control temperature system how can I increase the temperature without opening or disturbing the brew. ?

can someone help please 

thanks 

Hi  Newbrew,

Yeah its a Coopers Craft Brew kit which came with amber pale ale.. Its sitting around 20deg at the moment but it states on the cd instructions anywhere between 21 and 27 degrees>

Is that just a guide for that kit?  Its my first ever brew kit and making beer, so im simply following instructions  i guess

Anyway thanks for the reply Newbrew..

claude

Hi Otto

Thanks for the reply,  its sitting at 20 degrees at the moment now, but was simply following the instruction video which says around 21-27 degrees..   I guess thats just a guide, but does that depends on the brew you have??  it was amber pale ale that came with the kit.

claude

It’ll be fine. Most kits like it a little cooler than they say but will work fine across a broad range of temps. But better to keep it around the 18 to 20 mark.

I think the mr beer ones are actually a mix of ale and lager yeasts (you can check in one of the other sections) so I’m sure the cooler temp won’t hurt it.

Cheers

Jamie

Welcome to the world of brewing Claude. What OVB and NB have said is spot on, they know more than I do on the subject that's for sure. In saying that, can I add a couple of simple tips.

Try and insulate your fermenting vessel somehow, both from the cold and the hot temps. This will assist in reducing fluctuations in temps. Most Coopers kits contain an Ale yeast regardless of the label on the can, and 18 to 20° is a good starting point. Lagers etc might prefer lower temps, but unless you change the yeast you should'nt have to worry about it. The higher the temp, the faster the ferment ( and possible flavour changes). Low and slow is the go.

Get yourself some digital temp displays for more accurate measurement. I picked up 4 for $8 or so off Ebay. The sticker on the side of your FV is fine, but not necessarily accurate.

You can also use them in different locations, such as where you store your bottles during the carbonation period. Maintaining 18-20° during this period is also somewhat important. If your house is climate controlled at 20° or below, you can store them inside somewhere (if she will let you). Otherwise, get a cupboard for your shed or knock up a basic incubator with a low wattage globe for cooler nights.

And one last thing, don't be afraid to ask. This forum is a wonderful resource of information, even though I'm sure that the long term experts here must get sick of answering the same questions over and over again. They are very patient, or perhaps their products help them through it all.

Dave.

Hi Bluebru, 

Thanks again for those amazing ideas,  and yes those guys are very helpful.. I have management to keep it at 20degrees, and have wrapped the vessel with a towel and trying to keep it warm at a stable 20 degrees or so. I have it just on the kitchen counter, and the house is warm, considering we have a gas heater in the living room which heats up the house. 

I will look into that digital temp from ebay, Do you know what they are call or is it just a digital tempreture gauge, ?  I havent gotten to the bottling stage yet as its only the second day of fermentation stage.. I do have some storage place for the bottle, but not for the vessel, but its on the counter on top of a smaller towel and wrapped in a warmer towel.. ill regulated the heat hopefully its stays at 20 or so..

thanks again everyone for being helpful.. Looking forward to sharing my experience with everyone and letting you guys know the outcome of my first brew.. 

Claude

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Display-Indoor-Temperature-Meter-Thermometer-Temp-Sensor-Pro-JS/183538747109?hash=item2abbc306e5:g:~QgAAOSwAYtWF6Ym:rk:32:pf:0

Give this a go Claude, it's not the exact unit that I bought but is identicle.  You can get them cheaper if from China/Honk Konk.

I wrap my FV in some foam rubber sheeting from Clark rubber. With a can of spray adhesive designed for foam, you can cut and shape pieces to suit all parts of the FV. The thicker/ denser the foam, the better the insulation.

Archived