Coopers Community

Forgot to buy/add Whirlfloc

James Lao

Hi all,

Did a brew today on the Robo

Chinook, Cascade, Citra and Mosaic IPA.

Maris Otter, Munich and Cararye

1.059 and 59 IBUs

I forgot to buy / add Whirlfloc to the brew.

Anybody done this before and if so, what was the outcome?

Got another brew planned for 4 days time, don’t know if I can get to the not so LHBS in time for it......

Will make a special trip if advice suggests ....

The future looks cloudy....????

Cheers

James

I've forgotten whirlfloc numerous times.   🙄 

I think it does help with end clarity as I'm pretty sure these brews ended up hazier than I would normally expect.  Having said that though I have had brews where I DID add whirlfloc that still ended up with quite poor clarity.   There's seems to be so many variables involved that it's quite hard to really be sure what contributes, and by how much, to the final clarity of the beer. 

I did it a couple of times unintentionally and to be honest the beer was shit by comparison to the same beer brewed with kettle finings. It was cloudy all the way from going into the cube to pouring into the glass, even after sitting in a keg chilled for two months, and didn't taste like normal either. 

Yours may not be as drastic as that in terms of flavor, but I expect the clarity won't be great. In the case of my beers I'm pretty sure what caused the haze (inadequate separation of hot break) also caused the difference in flavor. 

Next time I'm out of kettle finings I simply won't brew until I get more. Not gonna risk another substandard batch when it takes 5-6 hours to brew it.

I managed to chill to 23degC within 30 minutes, pitched the yeast and set fridge to 18.5degC.

Hopefully cooling down reasonably quickly will make the negative effects of not using finings not so bad?

Have found a new HBS closer to me in Joondalup, will give them a ring today and see if they have Whirlfloc..

Also will be CCing and  fining with gelatine, so will report back with the results..

Cheers

James 

Cc'ing and finings won't do anything about hot break if it does cause an issue, because it results in what's known as permanent haze. Those beers I referred to above were treated with isinglass and polyclar, and it didn't do a damn thing. 

That said, I'm not trying to suggest that it will absolutely be a disaster of a beer. It may well turn out fine. Or fine enough. Maybe if those batches of mine were pale ales instead of pilsners, they would have been less affected. 

2 hours ago, James Lao said:

I managed to chill to 23degC within 30 minutes, pitched the yeast and set fridge to 18.5degC.

Hopefully cooling down reasonably quickly will make the negative effects of not using finings not so bad?

Have found a new HBS closer to me in Joondalup, will give them a ring today and see if they have Whirlfloc..

Also will be CCing and  fining with gelatine, so will report back with the results..

Cheers

James 

Where’s the shop. I drive to Balcatta but he’s a bit pricey 

That's what I'm thinking James, the hops will probably mask any issues, at least enough that it doesn't affect it negatively. 

Cloudy in itself doesn't bother me too much, it's just in the case of those batches, the cause of the cloudiness also affected the flavor. But not all causes of cloudiness will affect the flavor. 

Either way, kettle finings are a must for me now. I use brewbrite but whirlfloc will do the same thing. 

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Where’s the shop. I drive to Balcatta but he’s a bit pricey 

It’s in Joondalup, Winton Rd, I think Storm Brewing.

Just called and they have Whirlfloc so will be going in.

Its either that or Greenwood, that’s we’re I used to go, but lately have been making the trek to Brewmart - it’s like Bunnings for beer in there I love it!

Bit more geared for the AG brewer as well.

Cheers

James

I wouldn't stress about it. I had a malfunction a while back with the helix I was trying out and ended up with most of the hot break going in to the cube. I typically avoid that as much as practicable, but couldn't avoided in this case. Beer ended up being extremely tasty and wasn't overly hazy (it was a bit hazy, but was no neipa, and tbh I never strive for perfectly clear pale ales anyway).

• 1 month later...

Archived