Coopers Community

Fermentation fridge?

Leo53

Ok. I have some questions.

A clapped out fridge that only needs to maintain 21degrees.

Does the seal need to be perfect or sealed/enclosed environment good/bad for the fermentation process? My initial thoughts a totally sealed environ, not so good. 

What measurement cube capacity to accommodate two similar ferms. 

Omg, loving retirement!

Same as above, I’d keep an eye on the ferment temp in a fridge as fermentation creates heat, if the heat is not knocked back it could makes your ferment hotter. 

I’d just watch your first ferment and see how the fridge performs. After all, you have all the time in the world ha ha half ya luck Leo. 

I picked up a STC 1000 earlier in the year, bought an electric power box and a couple of outlets from bunnings.  Had a lecky mate of mine attach them to each side of the box for heat and cool and it works like a dream. You can get the wiring directions off google, it is so easy.

I've gone the convoluted route 🙂

I use a raspberry pi for my 1V control using craftbeerpi and added an esp8266 on the fridge hooked up to fermentrack (based on brewpi) running on the pi. You can also get a stand alone flash for the esp that does the whole brewpi thing by itself. All hooked together via wifi using pid temp control algorithms and and programmable / accessible over local network and Web. Requires lots of tinkering and soldering. My soldering is much like I describe myself - not great to look at but quite functional 🤣

Probably way more effort than its worth, but I like tinkering and pretty graphs 😁

F04886EF-025B-4936-92C0-5E4BED6AD7B6.jpeg

777E46FD-3693-430C-97C5-F6A0648AAD76.jpeg

3E64B2D1-FFA1-4710-ABF9-C2F82CD97906.jpeg

2 hours ago, Wobbly74 said:

I've gone the convoluted route 🙂

I use a raspberry pi for my 1V control using craftbeerpi and added an esp8266 on the fridge hooked up to fermentrack (based on brewpi) running on the pi. You can also get a stand alone flash for the esp that does the whole brewpi thing by itself. All hooked together via wifi using pid temp control algorithms and and programmable / accessible over local network and Web. Requires lots of tinkering and soldering. My soldering is much like I describe myself - not great to look at but quite functional 🤣

Probably way more effort than its worth, but I like tinkering and pretty graphs 😁

F04886EF-025B-4936-92C0-5E4BED6AD7B6.jpeg

777E46FD-3693-430C-97C5-F6A0648AAD76.jpeg

3E64B2D1-FFA1-4710-ABF9-C2F82CD97906.jpeg

My head almost exploded from reading your post. No idea what you were talking about but it looks like a neat setup. 😆

• 2 weeks later...

I might have finally gotten SWMBO on side with getting a separate fermentation fridge. Coming into summer, she's a bit over my beers and her ciders being in the kitchen fridge because I'm using our 12v Waeco (usually the drinks fridge running on 240v) as a fermentation fridge.

"Well I'd better just find a cheap fridge off gumtree and put it in the shed for the home brew, so we can still use the camp fridge for our drinks..."

I didn't get a knock back, so I reckon that's a goer 👍

On 12/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, karlos_1984 said:

I might have finally gotten SWMBO on side with getting a separate fermentation fridge. Coming into summer, she's a bit over my beers and her ciders being in the kitchen fridge because I'm using our 12v Waeco (usually the drinks fridge running on 240v) as a fermentation fridge.

"Well I'd better just find a cheap fridge off gumtree and put it in the shed for the home brew, so we can still use the camp fridge for our drinks..."

I didn't get a knock back, so I reckon that's a goer 👍

Just do it!

It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission. 😟 😌

On 11/24/2018 at 2:25 PM, SmellMyFinger said:

I bought this fridge off gumtree for $100. Bought the heater bands fans off ebay for $50. I got the stainless free from scrap at work. Panel cost me $300 to make.

20181103_144918.jpg

20181103_154155.jpg

What is the current temperature on the moon? 😋

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived