Coopers Community

Leo53

Recently purchased a pale ale tin on the 14 Nov 18, yeast had a julien date of 28917. The yeast did not appear to activate and I threw out brew after 7 days. Could the old yeast have been the issue. I did every thing as per instructions, although the wort temp was 27/28 when I pitched.

Kept receipt, from an SA food chain.  Should I ask for refund?

I did check sg (1040 ish), I used coopers enhance 2 and the sg had not changed in the 5 days it was in fv.

I guess I put it down to newbee mistake.

Thanks all for feedback. Next batch bubbling away nicely!

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The yeast was still in date, but given no SG change it sounds like it was cactus for some reason 

Not sure. If yeast sits on a shelf in supermarket for 12 months at varying temps and no stock control the yeast would surely detiorate.

I understand yeast best kept in fridge at low temp.  Learning experience: scrutinise the best before date!

Thanks for your interest - brew on.

Dry yeast are reasonably hardy but depending on conditions it is possible that they died, or at least were significantly compromised. I think in this case that is what happened, otherwise it would have fermented. 

In such instances, usually a second lot of yeast are pitched if the first pitch does nothing after 2 or 3 days, but of course you would have to have some on hand or buy extra to do this.

Thanks Otto,

I brewed back in the 90tees, yeast was always the bain of my existance.

If anything I should have learnt not to buy from supermarkets, no stock control, no shelf life!

Although, same supermarket, same coopers pale ale, same shelf and this one is going gang busters.

It could have been the type 2 enhancer was off after 12 months on shelf. Gotta let it ho!

Cheers.....

Archived