Coopers Community

Yeast

supernerdy

So I am still new to brewing. Have just started my new brew with US-05 as it worked well for my last brew but what are the differences? Is it better to use a different yeast for different temperatures?

I am enjoying my brewing but not enough for a second fridge and coming to summer I am curious if I can brew with different yeast which wont die at higher temps

No yeast will die at the sort of higher temps you'd experience over summer. They will likely throw some shitty flavour though, which is why most of us employ some form of cooling, whether it be a fridge or something else. The other option is to use saison yeasts, but they may or may not be to your tastes. 

At the end of the day, if you're not using saison yeasts your beer will be better if you use some kind of temp control to keep the temps down around the high teens to low 20s. 

If you like dry beers, your more likely to like Saison. 

They do throw a certain kind of funk that is yeast dependent but I find fascinating. 

Im sure your aware higher temps for certain yeasts throw phenols that my be undesirable but Saison yeasts throw character. 

The real funky yeasts I stear clear of but there are so many strains out there to pick from. 

Onto temp control. I understand your reluctance to purchase another fridge/freezer...... I was the same. I was into hobby mode just doing this occasionally. I bought a fridge, then went full obsessed with learning about beer. 

Lesson out of this, controlling your ferment temps are the best thing you can do with beer. 

All good advice above. If you are not going to get a fridge then use a shirt/towel and some cold water and ice to keep the temp below 22c. I did this in the laundry sink for about a year and a half it worked but can be a little headache. It gets hot in my laundry so keeping it at 18c was never going to happen but I could keep it around 20c consistently with little hassle. I also started using ale yeasts that provided character to the brews. You have to figure out your brewery to get the results you want.

I didn't really answer your question, for temps around 20-22c I like to use M44 M42, M54 mangrove jack yeasts. I also liked using the coopers ale/lager yeast and Nottingham. They all seemed to throw pretty good character to the beers at those temps without too many off flavours.

Hi guys,

Voss Kveik yeast is an interesting choice for higher ferment templeratures. I have used it the once pitched at 35 degrees and fermented at 32.

Finished in 4 days, the flavor didn't do much for me. I found it did have a orange sort of flavor in the background, but a bit murky.

I purchased my yeast through Hoppy Days, it arrived here in Darwin, still cold.

I will have another crack at it from some harvested yeast.

Regards

Chris

7 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

...but a Brut is a made up fad anyway 

"Brut" is the French derived term used for categorising the driest form of Champagne. Given Saison yeasts are very similar to certain dry finishing Champagne yeasts, the 'Brut' term is actually quite appropriate for this particular style of beer.

Good luck with the brew Pirate. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Found a source , I'll be heading up to that brewery in near future for beers anyway. 

Easy enough to send you some Ben,  it dries out well without loss of viability and looking forward to playing with it. 

One blog mentioned lag times of 30 minutes,  ~80% apparent attenuation and ferment finished and cleared within 3 days ......i have to see this for myself to believe it 

Archived