Coopers Community

flavour improvement

worry wort

Cheers Shamus, as of yet I haven't forked out the extra coin to advance from the Original series.  Like most new starters I got back into brewing to save a dollar and have been sticking with the basics. I did pickup a can of EB on special once and couldn't resist the opportunity though.

Maybe one day I'll advance to the level. Consider me as still being on Atari.

All comments are appreciated.

Hmmm well the ingredients started out as a good stone and wood pacific ale base but to steer away from the fruitiness and floral of some hops maybe something with some dank to it? Maybe Simcoe or chinook, columbus and simcoe or Columbus and centennial? That might be too floral though with the centennial so maybe columbus, chinook or simcoe.

28 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Cheers Captain! Sometimes to much fruitiness is too much so I like to tone it back some with those combos. I love what simcoe brings to the table, one of my favorite hops, well top 15 at least.

I see what you mean.

Simcoe is a great hop, and I like that there are some great differences with it when added at different times. It’s very versatile 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, BlueBru said:

Thanks Smashed Crabs, love your work.  I don't  yet know what quantity hops are sold in, but if 25g is a package option, then that sounds pretty good for a 23 litre batch.

I'm getting inspired to advance.

since deciding to move on from the k&k which I've been doing since 84, Im like a kid in a lollyshop ordering all kinds of shit. started simple on Friday with a spicy brunette, only coz I had the stuff here to get going, but trying to get my head around what hops are bitter, sweet, fruity etc. can't wait to make my next batch lol.

so, following all the info to bluebru, is there somewhere that covers they types of hops and their flavour, i.e. fruity, spicy, bitter etc, and a compatability list? and I guess the same for all the different types of yeast available. Im so keen to get into this now but don't want to mix something sweet and tangy with something bitter and horrid....

Yeah I hate how they base everything on a small sample size and act like it is the answer to everything. I also question their recipe construction sometimes in the experiments and even the hop chronicles. Like if your testing the astringency of a hop, for example, why use a dark grain known for astringency in high amounts. Stuff like that makes me go hmmm.

The Chronicles tend to be alright and add fair value to help me with what I might be tasting but cannot articulate and to see what to expect from a hop I never used.

Archived