Coopers Community

flavour improvement

worry wort

Im quite happy with the quality of the brew im making, which is just straight out the can without anything else added, but after many years, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to this simple processs to tweak the flavour a bit. Don't want to start with all the boiling and cooling stuff, just a simple additive or change of maybe yeast or something to give a bit stronger taste.  Any tips?

I did a couple of changes recently.

The first and easiest was just buying 20gm of Citra hops to throw into a Coopers Pale Ale can brew. Literally just threw them in at Day 4. Made a nice difference, and a good beer.

The second was a little more complicated, but nothing extreme. I followed this recipe Ol' brown dog and it has produced a beer which is very nice now, and I expect will get even better with age.

Brew A this one was even easier - just needs you to steep (soak) some hops in hot water before straining them into the FV. Used 3 cans though, so expecting a nice whoompf from this one!

30 minutes ago, worry wort said:

Im quite happy with the quality of the brew im making, which is just straight out the can without anything else added, but after many years, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to this simple processs to tweak the flavour a bit. Don't want to start with all the boiling and cooling stuff, just a simple additive or change of maybe yeast or something to give a bit stronger taste.  Any tips?

Wot u brewing out of can that you enjoy so much?

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, YeastyBoy said:

Wot u brewing out of can that you enjoy so much?

I switch from the original real ale which I started with I '84, and the dark ale. 

I like the ease of making it, just feel like tweaking it a bit to add a bit more flavour.

cheers

Worry Wort , I love the user name.  Very clever.  Your taste for Ales sounds similar to mine. 

Have you done an Unreal Ale ?  That is just a Real Ale with Brew Enhancer 1 (1kg) and Light Dry Malt (500g) 

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/unreal-ale.html

Dead easy and the brew I make the most of.   I usually make a hop addition just for variety but I am very conservative about it.  You can over do it with this style.

Another from the Coopers recipe collection that is dead easy is the Spicy Brunette.  This is a Dark Ale with a kilo of BE2 and two teaspoons of ground cinnamon.  

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/spicy-brunette.html

I can't vouch for the Spicy Brunette because I haven't actually tried it but I like the idea in principle.  

Another easy recipe for a bit of variety is the Irish Ale which is Cooper's Draught can, a kilo of BE1 and 300ml of Golden Syrup brewed to 21 litres.  The only other requirement is to keep the ferment as close to 20° as possible - and you'll end up with something like a light version of Kilkenny.  And if ever a beer was begging to be called OMG Ale  it is this one (South Park joke). 

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/irish-ale.html

AND

If you want to explore some simple hopping don't be intimidated.  Your first step should be some simple dry hopping which is about as hard as making a cup of tea and throwing it in the fermenter.  It will basically set you back about $3 or $4 extra per brew but the difference is noticeable and often (but not always) very pleasing.

4 hours ago, worry wort said:

I switch from the original real ale which I started with I '84, and the dark ale. 

I like the ease of making it, just feel like tweaking it a bit to add a bit more flavour.

cheers

Picked up a Coopers Real Ale tin just recently and have not tried so I am no help to you at all. Will try the unreal ale recipe James has provided a link too.

Wonder what Hop he dry hops with & different yeast?

G'day Worry Wort, I too use the Real Ale a fair bit and I also brew the dark ale. The real ale I just use 500gm LDM and I have recently started dry hopping with 25gm Citra hops, it makes a beer which I am quite happy with, and contrary to the beliefs of many on here, will rival any all grain beer I have tasted! (of a similar style)

I use 500gm of dark dry malt with the can of dark ale, that makes a pretty good beer too, both brewed to 23L and using the supplied yeast.

I do add a few other things and try a few other tins too, I have harvested Coopers commercial yeast a couple of times and have just recently started making the original lager with 500gm LDM and dry hopped with 25gm of Citra hops, that makes a reasonable summer drink too, its not really a lager but it is pretty easy drinking.

You could use 1kg of malt if you prefer, but I find it is fine with 500gm and keeps the ABV down as well. 

Dropping in 25g or more in a dry hop, on day 6 or when FG has been reached and letting it sit for 3 to 4 days, as mentioned above, will improve a beer and is simple. 

Also mentioned, a 15 min boil addition wont hurt it either. Yes a little more work but well worth it and simple too. Main thing is, keep making what you like.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, rossm said:

G'day Worry Wort, I too use the Real Ale a fair bit and I also brew the dark ale. The real ale I just use 500gm LDM and I have recently started dry hopping with 25gm Citra hops, it makes a beer which I am quite happy with, and contrary to the beliefs of many on here, will rival any all grain beer I have tasted! (of a similar style)

I use 500gm of dark dry malt with the can of dark ale, that makes a pretty good beer too, both brewed to 23L and using the supplied yeast.

I do add a few other things and try a few other tins too, I have harvested Coopers commercial yeast a couple of times and have just recently started making the original lager with 500gm LDM and dry hopped with 25gm of Citra hops, that makes a reasonable summer drink too, its not really a lager but it is pretty easy drinking.

You could use 1kg of malt if you prefer, but I find it is fine with 500gm and keeps the ABV down as well. 

when you say you 'dry hop', what exactly does that mean? Do you just throw 25gm of the hops into the fermenter? Does it replace anything or added in addition to the yeast supplied with the can, not being smart, just trying to learn the terminology and practices to improve the flavour.

cheers.

3 hours ago, worry wort said:

when you say you 'dry hop', what exactly does that mean? Do you just throw 25gm of the hops into the fermenter? Does it replace anything or added in addition to the yeast supplied with the can, not being smart, just trying to learn the terminology and practices to improve the flavour.

cheers.

Yeap Dry Hopping is just that, tossing in normally dry hop pellets into the FV after the primary fermentation period is done or simply day 4. It is an additional process which adds to the aroma of the beer.

Two most common tossing options; Commando or Hop Bag. Commando is just throw the hop pellets in and let them stink to the bottom or put the hops in a hop bag like a tied chux cloth and drop it in. Pros cons for both methods.

My preference is Hop Bag which keeps the hops together rather than adding to sediment plus the ability to squeeze it out before bottling.

4 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Yeap Dry Hopping is just that, tossing in normally dry hop pellets into the FV after the primary fermentation period is done or simply day 4. It is an additional process which adds to the aroma of the beer.

Two most common tossing options; Commando or Hop Bag. Commando is just throw the hop pellets in and let them stink to the bottom or put the hops in a hop bag like a tied chux cloth and drop it in. Pros cons for both methods.

My preference is Hop Bag which keeps the hops together rather than adding to sediment plus the ability to squeeze it out before bottling.

thanks for the info.

ww.

Cheers WorryWort for raising this topic. I also am a K & K brewer who is happy with current results( although have stopped using BE's and am using malt extracts). After reading this thread I might be tempted to advance to the next basic level.

Thanks for the encouragement Norris. At this time of year I am not planning any more brews.

But, in the new year I am planning to add a can of Coopers Wheat Malt to a can of Coopers Original Lager. Do you think this will produce a basic wheat beer? Any simple addditives that you can think of to improve this further?

16 minutes ago, BlueBru said:

Cheers WorryWort for raising this topic. I also am a K & K brewer who is happy with current results( although have stopped using BE's and am using malt extracts). After reading this thread I might be tempted to advance to the next basic level.

C'mon do it.. 

You will be very happy with the results. A little grain steep and a short hop boil really takes your kit and kilo to the next level. 

20 minutes ago, BlueBru said:

in the new year I am planning to add a can of Coopers Wheat Malt to a can of Coopers Original Lager. Do you think this will produce a basic wheat beer? Any simple addditives that you can think of to improve this further?

Hi BB

Marilyn's Secret is a bit like your idea above.  It uses Thomas Coopers Innkeeper's Daughter Sparkling Ale instead of the Coopers Original Lager.  These two cans have similar attributes, but the Sparkling is a better brew on its own.  Bluebru's Secret might be that you have used the Lager instead of the Sparkling Ale.  However, this recipe does use fruity hops, so you might want to leave them out if they are not to your taste.  Depending on the replies you get for ideas for non-fruity hops, you might want to try adding in some of them.

Cheers Shamus

Archived