Coopers Community

Grain Mills

Smashed Crabs

Just now, Beerlust said:

I buy my grain & my LHBS mill it at no extra charge.

No initial mill purchase cost, no elbow grease, & no mill maintenance required here.

Winning. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have been doing that for years. But buying grain in bulk saves a huge amount of dollarydoos.

For example, my LHBS sells BB Ale malt for $4.30 per kilo, which equates to $107.50 for 25kg.

They sell 25kg bags for $58.

From my LHBS it is a 3rd dearer to buy grain weights specifically per brew, but everything is milled, I don't have to create additional storage for bulk weights, deal with potential spoilage, nor initial costs for a mill, & ongoing costs for maintenance of it.

If a full AG'er, I get the whole "I did it my way from scratch pride" deal. I'm more minimum effort/maximum outcome orientated & assess costings against commercial costs for what I am brewing. Also I don't dedicate large areas for storage to save a few bucks. Half a top shelf in my main eating fridge dedicated to stored harvested yeasts & hop varieties, & 3/4 of a reasonably lengthy shelf above the fridge for grains, extracts & other fermentation type ingredients.

Each to their own on this one.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've never heard anyone come up with so many reasons not to save money 😜

If you get a decent mill there's no ongoing maintenance anyway. I haven't done anything to mine in the 6+ years I've had it other than to replace a roller, but that was free of charge. The initial cost has been repaid numerous times in savings from buying grain in bulk as opposed to a few kg at a time for each batch. 

If you're smart about storage it takes up little room and there is no risk of spoilage. My spec grain buckets stack, I usually have them 5-6 buckets high to minimise floor space taken up. Uncracked grain keeps for long enough to use it up before it goes stale if you buy it in quantities that suit. 

Having said that, it probably works better for AG brewers who are using more grain per batch than partial brewers. It does get used up well before it goes stale.

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

I bought myself a Mill Master grain mill (Mash Master) from Beer Co in Victoria. It was free delivery and I opened the box today to find they had thrown in some grain too. I got:

5kg Gladfield Ale malt

1kg Gladfield Light Crystal 

1kg Gladfield Medium Crystal

and some Gladfield Pilsner malt 

Great customer service!

Dermott is such an excitable guy , loves meeting brewers and talking all things beer!  

Just be wary how fast you run your mill,  the KK ones are rated for up to 500 rpm , run them too fast and they don't drag the grain through and crush and will shorten lifespan of your shiny new mill 

If you get involved in bulk buys the savings on malt prices really stack up 

BB ale $38 and most others in the $45-50 range , we'd also split sacks of spec malts. 

New LHBS has opened here in Radelaide,  can't fault the service since he already knew where I live and delivered to my door free of charge 

Yeah but you're not looking at it long term. If you can get the same ingredients cheaper, it saves money in the long run even if there's a $200-$300 outlay in the beginning. 

In saying that, it's not really the main reason I bought a mill, but it is an advantage of having one along with having all necessary ingredients on hand whenever I do a brew day. 

41 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...In saying that, it's not really the main reason I bought a mill, but it is an advantage of having one along with having all necessary ingredients on hand whenever I do a brew day. 

Otto man when he realizes he doesn't have any ingredients for a brew day!

Just plan ahead mate, you'll be right. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Only time that's ever happened was the kettle finings, but I consider those couple of batches a learning experience on why not to leave them out 😜

Otherwise, I've had what was needed for the batch every time, or have been able to sub something in without changing the outcome very much. 

I did buy the mill to be able to buy grain in bulk, at the time cost savings on ingredients weren't at the forefront of my mind but it is a good aspect of it.

Archived