Coopers Community

Grain Mills

Smashed Crabs

I've only ever used one, the mashmaster minimill. Had it 6 years and still going strong. I think they're around the $300 mark now but I'd definitely recommend one if you're getting into AG for the long haul. 

There's another one from Germany called Matt mill, it looks bloody good too but since I already have one I'm happy with I haven't worried about it. Its rollers are somewhat bigger than the usual ones available, which makes for a better crush from all accounts. I would probably have considered it if I was looking to buy one now, though I suspect it's more expensive than the mashmaster. 

I initially bought a grain mill off Ebay. It was rubbish. The knurling was too smooth, and it struggled to pull the grain through.

After a few months of frustration, I bought a MattMill Compact. It cost about $350, which is comparable to Mashmaster mill when you consider you don't need to buy (or make) a hopper.

Very happy with the MattMill, crushes really well. Pretty pricey, but it is well engineered. The large diameter rollers make a lot of sense.

Agree with that Smashed Crabs. I'm running parallel with you it seems, just started BIAB with the cheap pot and already frustrated at needing the LHBS to prep the grain and hope my plans don't get changed before I brew. I'd like to lock in the part of the day for me time and mill my own grains then (and I'm maybe a bit of a control freak!). Figure I'm on the slippery slope and will save my pennies for a fair dinkum Mashmaster fluted roller machine that should last forever, be a pleasure to use and do a great job, instead of the $99 cheapie that I would regret for the rest of my life.  

I've just for a cheapie 2 roller keg king mill. Had it about 2 years, still works great. Can't talk about its relative quality but regularly get around 88% mash efficiency with 40-50 OG worts which seems fine in terms of crush consistency.  

Put this bit of kit together today about to run my first lot of grain threw her. Have the rollers set so I can  just fit a credit card in which I read somewhere on here that this was a good setting. Will wait and see how she performs.... missus is sitting here wonder why I'm getting excited over this.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought myself a Mill Master grain mill (Mash Master) from Beer Co in Victoria. It was free delivery and I opened the box today to find they had thrown in some grain too. I got:

5kg Gladfield Ale malt

1kg Gladfield Light Crystal 

1kg Gladfield Medium Crystal

and some Gladfield Pilsner malt 

Great customer service!

Archived