Coopers Community

Pacific Saison

31 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Thought it could use a little bit extra on the dry hop, so went with 20g Galaxy, 20g Nelson and 20g Mosaic. These 3 are a bit of a magic combo and should be noticeable in these quantities in an 11l batch.

Cheers, 

John

That’s a fair dry hop. Roughly 150g dry hop for a 25l batch. Nice one John.

Just tested mine again 11 days. SG down to 1.004 or a smidgin under. Had a taste, definite funkiness although not too much. Good bitterness for my taste and still very fresh hop wise, with a strong citrus and grapefruit, maybe even overpowering the galaxy, but those hints of passionfruit are there. I’ll check again Saturday and probably bottle, but definitely  looking forward to giving it a nudge in the New Year.

Bottled mine up tonight. Filled a 6l Tap-a-draft bottle and 10 stubbies, so can drink some fresh on tap then see how a bit of bottle age treats the rest. Beautiful hop aroma and yeast character shows well despite never getting much hot weather. The fermenter was only at 21C when I bottled it up.

Cheers, 

John

29 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Ben's beers arrived about half an hour or so ago. I'll pop them in the fridge for a few days to settle the yeast out a bit, obviously got a bit unsettled in the post as you'd expect.  Thanks mate, look forward to trying them, when I get some or my own fermented again I'll return the favor 😃

Just make sure you don’t need to drive, make sensible decisions or feel your face for a couple of hours afterwards. That’s a big Saison right there ha ha ha.

2 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Just make sure you don’t need to drive, make sensible decisions or feel your face for a couple of hours afterwards. That’s a big Saison right there ha ha ha.

Well I am on holidays, so I'll probably drink them at night when we're watching Netflix or Stan* and I don't have to go anywhere. 😂

*When I'm watching, the Mrs usually falls asleep on the lounge so I just watch whatever I like. Love it haha 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so best summer beer ever for sure. Yes the hops steal must of the limelight at this point with a tropical blast, but the slight tartness and funk are nice accents and will come out more with a little time as the hops fade.

I would take this over a Pacific ale every time without a second thought. Actually I'd take it over every beer in my Boozebud advent calendar. 

Cheers, 

John

6 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Actually I'd take it over every beer in my Boozebud advent calendar. 

That’s bloody awesome right there. Nice work John.

I gave a friend a advent calendar but only for about 10 days ha ha. 

He said that the beers I gave him were great and rivalled his commercial advent calendar. 

Next year I plan to get another calendar ready for my mates. 

And I will beat this commercial calendar next year.

• 3 months later...

I just finished my last bottle of this batch on the weekend. The hops really stuck around well for more than 2 months. This was such a tasty beer and I definitely preferred it to S&W Pacific Ale. Think I'll do an all grain version next summer as slightly more depth of malt flavour and attenuation could only improve it. 

Cheers, 

John 

Archived