Coopers Community

Pacific Saison

So S&W Pacific ale is a great summer beer, but I think it would be better a little drier, with a little more funk, a little tartness and a little higher hopping rate. 

I'm going to brew this next and see how it turns out. 

1.5kg Coopers Wheat LME

15g Galaxy at 15 mins (20 IBU) 

20g Galaxy at flameout

30g Galaxy dry hop

This is for a 5l boil volume, topped up to 11l in the fermenter. Should come out to around 20 IBU (plus maybe 10 from the flameout addition), 1.041 OG and 9 EBC.

Fermented with Wyeast 3726.

Do I need more hops? 

Cheers, 

John 

51 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Drinking one now.... sooooo good.

2:1 enigma to galaxy

Hmmm I've got heaps of Enigma in the freezer still, but think I'll try all Galaxy for this one. I did really like the 3:2 Enigma:Galaxy ratio in my session ale, and can see how a touch more Enigma could be a good thing. 

29 minutes ago, Wobbly74 said:

When I do a 23L batch I do no boil additions and 100g galaxy in the cube, then a 200g dry hop. 

I'd be interested to taste that side by side with one of mine. My Pacific Saison is well balanced and doesn't have anywhere near 300g of hops.

• 2 weeks later...

Fermentation time depends on which Saison yeast your are using. 3726 is not a particularly fast fermenter, especially compared with something like Belle Saison.

I like to leave my dry hop in for about a week, but am not too fussed as long as it is in for somewhere between 3 days to 2 weeks.

Cheers,

John

Mine has been down 6 days now. Added the dry hop this morning and gravity at 1.006! Still obvious signs of active fermentation, lots of CO2 activity although the krausen has died off as one would probably expect. Very cloudy, so while I would expect some cloudiness with that amount of wheat, I’m sure it’ll clear up once it settles some more.

I’ll leave until at least Thursday and see how its travelling then, but probably won’t bottle it til next weekend.

Archived