Coopers Community

Sanitizing

fearnobeer

I'm sure it works but it's chlorine based so you don't want to leave it wet. It also contains some unknown ingredients, which is reason enough to keep it away from beer equipment in my mind.

However, there are much better and cheaper options available. Phosphoric acid based sanitisers such as starsan or stellarsan are popular and a small bottle of it will last years. Iodophor is another one which also contains iodine. These don't have to dry before the equipment is used.

Keep in mind that the equipment needs to be cleaned first before any sanitiser is used. I usually use sodium percarbonate for this, previously I used unscented nappy soakers which contain a percentage of percarbonate. Rinse well then spray with the sanitiser, job done.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone on here use Stellasan or Starsan (phosphoric acid), and leave the diluted solution in their cube or FV for a week or so, rather than empty the vessel and let dry?

I always do, and have never had an infection, but I wonder if that process might leave the plastic affecting wort taste, like leave an acidic taste?

Cheers

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It only removes pink stains. 😜

It's not perc, it's chlorinated trisodium phosphate, apparently. 

Yep, this is the stuff: 

When added to water it releases chlorine which acts as a sanitizer and also cleans and deodorizes. Great for removing post-fermentation brewing deposits on equipment and will bring your bottles like new! Available in 500g container.

So there you go Thanks Kelsey. 

21 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Hey waht is the pink stain remover for and how do you use it. 

I'm pretty sure it's classed as a steriliser.

When I first got into home brewing this was the stuff the home brew places all had & recommended. I used it for quite a few years with good results.

After a while you realise the sodium perc is better for soaking to help remove solids, & the spray on no rinse starsan is quick & easy to sanitise. 

Use it up though as it will save you a few bucks on cleaning & sanitising material for a while.

Lusty.

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Wasn’t there a recent thread on here about the pink stuff and one guy got all defensive about his liberal use of it ?

I seem to remember somebody had issues with it.  Maybe their mixing rates were too high and overdosed on chlorine.  I cannot remember the details.